05. The Last Breath
06. Psychic Imbalance
07. Hope
08. Breach In My Sanity
09. Demon Tears
10. 1000 Souls
11. Someone Else
12. Will We Remain

Even if "Crimson Skies" is the second album of the band, Cloudscape is, unfortunately, not so famous. But this new release will probably help a lot the Swedish combo to get some new fans because if you like good Progressive Metal, you'll probably enjoy this release. This maybe not so original on a side, but this is solid as rock for sure.

On a side that's right yes, "Crimson Skies" is a bit classic. We don't have a lot of original things on this album but it's extremely well written with perfect musical structures. The general ambiance of the record is a bit dark, and the powerful deep voice of Micael Andersson helps a lot on this aspect. On the other hand, even if it's Prog Metal, "Crimson Skies" isn't a "demonstrative" album. Don't expect any guitars demonstrations here (even if of course the soli are really good), this is direct and damn effective at the end. Plus for the ones who don't like keyboards, this instrument is only here to do the ambiances? Believe me, this is not so displeasing, and the Power Prog Metal of the band is catchy.

With a great packaging, an amazing (one more time) cover by Mattias Noren and a perfect recording, this album will be a must for the ones who like Progressive Metal. Also, the voice of Mike Anderson (even if it was a bit difficult for me to enjoy it at the beginning) is really surprising and beautiful. With this album, you'll be able to discover a great singer you can trust me?

I don't know how I can explain it but even if "Crimson Skies" is not something outstanding, this album is correct and pleasant. It will probably please all the ones who like dark Progressive Metal and I'm sure that we will start to hear some things about this band now. Let's see if they will be able to confirm this feeling with their next album?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 28.06.2006

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 30 users
28.06.2006 - 15:53
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Sure you would like to call this progressive metal? Okay, I haven't heard this release but their first album is not very progressive to me... Great band though, seen them live twice. They come from my hometown ^^
28.06.2006 - 16:15
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Maybe Progressive Power But well seriously just listen to the first song of the new album "Shapeshifter" and except if I'm deaf I really believe that it is Prog (if we both consider that Prog Metal isn't only Dream Theater of course )
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
28.06.2006 - 16:32
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Yeah, that's atleast what I'd say about the first album... heavy/power with prog touches.
Well okay I'll check this one out
29.06.2006 - 02:02
Rating: 10
Silhouette

Cloudscape is definitely progressive, but also with focus on melodies. The first album is mostly focused on melodies, while this second one has improved in complexity.

I saw these guys on Sweden Rock festival, and they are a great live band for sure, especially Micael Andersson, what a singer!

Great album as well, as mentioned it's not an outstanding progressive release, but it's solid from beginning to end.
29.06.2006 - 02:09
Mariusz
Account deleted
Very nice music. I've hear that Cloudscape have their own very original style and by that I like this music very much.
29.06.2006 - 19:23
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Cloudscape were great at Sweden Rock Festival
01.07.2006 - 01:42
PyRaMaZe
Account deleted
I love Cloudscape, one of the new bands I got into,

Hits total: 5735 | This month: 7