Discouraged Ones
Dance of December Souls
Viva Emptiness
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Tonight's Decision

Total votes: 71
30.09.2008 - 07:26
Metal_Militia

//I've been listening to a lot of Katatonia recently and wondered what everyone's favorite Katatonia album is. Katatonia really helps me when I feel down and depressed. Even though a lot of the music is also depressing, it picks me up somehow. My favorite album from them is Discouraged Ones. I still like the older Katatonia like Brave Murder Day but Discouraged Ones has really helped me through some hard times and when I'm having some problems. It always gets me through the stage, especially I Break and Saw You Drown. Every song is really awesome but those two stick out. What do you all think?//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

30.09.2008 - 09:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt I say it is ''Dance of December Souls'' for me this and ''Brave Murder Day'' are only one what I like from band, others are pure shit for me, once I tryd listening others but tahy remaind sme emo and Lacrumas Perfonum, sorry I hate this band now, I enjoy something what thay criated in days when there was no internet
Dance of the december souls
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2008 - 12:50
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 09:43

No doubt I say it is ''Dance of December Souls'' for me this and ''Brave Murder Day'' are only one what I like from band, others are pure shit for me,

These two albuns are exacly the ones that i dont like.. clean vocals sounds better to me in this type of metal.
I prefer Tonight's decision.. it has my fav songs: ''Nightmares by the sea'', ''In Death, a song'' and ''Right into the Bliss''.. but its not absolutly better than the others, Viva Emptiness is also great, heavier but sustaining the clean vocals..
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.09.2008 - 16:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It's tough actually, their albums are very solid. But I voted for Viva Emptiness, I really love that album, it gets extra points for originality.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.09.2008 - 17:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 30.09.2008 at 16:53

It's tough actually, their albums are very solid.

I agree... this is really hard for me to answer
Specially since I like the two styles that they played

But I think I have to go with "Discouraged Ones" It has some rawness from the past two albums mixed with their original style that they are playing now. And that album really hit me when I first listened to it.

But Like I said, all the albums are good...Tough poll...
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.09.2008 - 19:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Brave Murder Day... somehow I prefer the style of Dance Of December Souls, but I can't really stand the vocals.
30.09.2008 - 19:02
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I'm a fan of Brave Murder Day personally, I like the minimalist doom songs.
30.09.2008 - 19:18
TheBigRossowski

These are two different Era's of Katatonia...then again, most bands are like that these days.

I'd say Brave Murder Day, but I love Last Fair Deal Gone Down too much. That and Tonight's Decision are just two classic albums! Don't really like the new stuff TOO much, its okay though.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
30.09.2008 - 22:11
Metal_Militia

//Yeah i like the newer style but The Great Cold Distance didn't do a whole lot for me. It didn't really hit me Discouraged Ones and Viva Emptiness did//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

01.10.2008 - 18:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Metal_Militia on 30.09.2008 at 22:11

//Yeah i like the newer style but The Great Cold Distance didn't do a whole lot for me. It didn't really hit me Discouraged Ones and Viva Emptiness did//

I'm in the opposite side then.

I never got the "wow-feeling" from VE... But I was blow away by TGCD... But both albums are not as awesome as DO IMO...
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2008 - 03:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The Great Cold Distance for me - it's by far my most played album by them. Besides my first two that are listed, every other album has parts that I completely despise, while I absolutely love other parts.
02.10.2008 - 04:06
Metal_Militia

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.10.2008 at 18:12

Written by Metal_Militia on 30.09.2008 at 22:11

I'm in the opposite side then.

I never got the "wow-feeling" from VE... But I was blow away by TGCD... But both albums are not as awesome as DO IMO...

//For sure...nothing tops Discouraged Ones, I agree//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

02.10.2008 - 04:25
iaberis
Advice Troll
discouraged ones for me... it's their doomest album with clean vocals... after that they went on other genre
----
Bitch! Please
02.10.2008 - 18:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by iaberis on 02.10.2008 at 04:25

discouraged ones for me... it's their doomest album with clean vocals... after that they went on other genre

Yeah, That's probably way I liked it a lot.
It has the sound of BMD but with those clean vocals, good performance by Jonas.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.10.2008 - 15:26
pdepmcp

it's been hard to decide.

I like every record since BMD, but Discouraged Ones, LFDGD and Viva Emptiness are my 3 favs.

among these Discouraged has probably the strongest overall feeling and the best lyrics (both lyrically and musically a complete emotional journay in the depths of depression and self distrust), with almost no filler, but very poor drumming ideas and a rock-popish production. Indeed the sounds, the metal attitude and some highlight in VE are surely better, but it fails in delivering the same deep feeling. LFDGD is in the middle and hasmany of the strength of both records togheter with both many of the flaws.

at the end my vote goes for the once discouraged, Discouraged Ones!
15.10.2008 - 19:00
-Soulreaper-

Dance of December Souls to me was their best release. I cant really tell you why I like it more than the others except that it is just a beautifully done album.
17.12.2008 - 23:42
the napalm rain

Discouraged Ones has a really good conseption like the other Katatonia albums. But only one song from this album is enough to fly away from this world. That's why this album is a treasure
18.12.2008 - 15:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by the napalm rain on 17.12.2008 at 23:42

Discouraged Ones has a really good conseption like the other Katatonia albums. But only one song from this album is enough to fly away from this world. That's why this album is a treasure

I agree on that... DO is almost a perfect album. Not a real filler and the production fits perfectly.
And the songs... Oh the songs. They take you to another place indeed.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.12.2008 - 15:54
Ascendant187

I too voted for Discouraged Ones. Fantastic album all around and, as others have said, there doesn't appear to be any filler whatsoever. I'm a little undecided on The Great Cold Distance. There are days where I love it... and days where I wonder why I loved it, if that makes any sense.
19.12.2008 - 15:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Uirapuru on 30.09.2008 at 12:50

.. it has my fav songs: ''Nightmares by the sea'', ..

ALthough Katatonia's version is good it pales in comparison to the original version imo.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2009 - 09:39
Evil Chip

Brave Murder Day any day. Im not saying the other albums are weak but BMD its their deepest and darkest album IMO because of the growls in almost everysong. Before this album I didn´t though a growl could give me emotions like sadness and melancholy but they way they work in this album is amazing. Every single song has something to offer. I really liked the way the clean tones worked aswell in Day one of my favourites of the album.
26.01.2009 - 23:57
Metal_Militia

Written by Evil Chip on 26.01.2009 at 09:39

Before this album I didn´t though a growl could give me emotions like sadness and melancholy but they way they work in this album is amazing.

I agree totally man. Actually I think that album is probably the only growl voal performance that gives me those sad emotions now that I think about it man. Anyway, is it just me or does anyone else think that The Great Cold Distance was a backwards step for the band? Its not like its weak or anything but i think they changed sounds a little bit for the worst. I dont think that will be there identity from now on or anything but.... kinda dissappointing
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

27.03.2009 - 14:30
Andresopeth

Is very hard to decide their albums are very complete and every one has something different, i guess i must say Tonight's Decision even when almost nobody voted for it but the album for me has an elevated level of darkness and depression is very slow and the vocals are simply amazing. Besides it has two of my favorites Katatonia's songs: "A Darkness Coming" and "Black Sessions"
21.05.2009 - 18:51
symbolic727

Brave Murder Day for me all the way jsut the feel you get from hearing it it comes alive and Mikael Åkerfeldt are the best in my opnion best vocals i have ever heard.
03.06.2009 - 22:34
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Discouraged ones cause it is really awesome!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.09.2009 - 18:54
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
Dance of December Souls is their best album in my opinion.
From the new era I like Last Fair Deal Gone Down.
I don´t like two last albums very much...
18.09.2009 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by farmakon on 17.09.2009 at 18:54

Dance of December Souls is their best album in my opinion.
I don´t like two last albums very much...

Same here IMO band died when they chages ok maybe whit such black doom what they played they wont survive, but for me this and Brave Murder Day os only what I like, I dont know people say katatonia , but never hed heard first 2 albums it makes me angry,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2009 - 20:08
JD
Account deleted
Should i choose one!! well Last Fair Deal Gone Down but am not sure maybe Tonight's Decision i can't fuckin choose i adore all katatonia albums:love:
18.11.2009 - 10:43
Damned-In-Black

Dance of December Souls, by a long way - One of the best albums ever created. Certainly the most powerful depressive music I've heard. That said, I like everything they've released but haven't managed to get into the latest one so far.
18.11.2009 - 10:49
Warman
Erotic Stains
So far I have to go with "Tonight's Decision". It means a lot to me, I can relate to some songs and I bought it during a time when a lot went on in my life. And it's just so... I don't know, perfect in some ways I guess.
----