Metal Storm logo
Dimebag vs Chuck Schuldiner

Original post

Posted by Demonmayonnaise, 05.10.2008 - 17:31
In the Dave vs Chuck thread, Marcel stated that he thinks that dead guitarists always win, because they are dead. Afterwards he mentioned something about Dimebag being idolized at death, just like Chuck. So I got the idea to put these two dead guys face to face, and see which one all of you think is better. Im not gonna vote just yet, gonna give both a good listen to before I decide.

Poll

Which of these two dead guitarists do you like more?

Chuck
Dimebag

Total votes: 124
08.02.2009 - 23:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:
Written by thesabbathfan on 08.02.2009 at 23:42

Written by K✞ulu on 08.02.2009 at 23:21

Written by thesabbathfan on 08.02.2009 at 23:17

Written by K✞ulu on 08.02.2009 at 20:18

how about every death metal band to ever exist

What I was asking for were concrete examples. I myself discovered some Death influences in Obscurd a few days ago. But saying "how about every death metal band..." is groundless.

thats like saying how sabbath influenced every metal band is groundless

did they?

without sabbath there is no metal.

theres just... blues and hard rock

so what's your point about Death? Without Death there is no Death Metal? Some older dudes would say that there were others band besides Death who started the genre together with them. But let me remind you that the initial question at issue was about [u]new[/i] death metal bands who were influenced by Chuck.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.02.2009 - 23:52
thesabbathfan

Quote:
Written by K✞ulu on 08.02.2009 at 23:48

What I was asking for were concrete examples. I myself discovered some Death influences in Obscurd a few days ago. But saying "how about every death metal band..." is groundless.

did they?

so what's your point about Death? Without Death there is no Death Metal? Some older dudes would say that there were others band besides Death who started the genre together with them. But let me remind you that the initial question at issue was about [u]new[/i] death metal bands who were influenced by Chuck.

yea, um, i've already made my point about death. they may not have started death metal, but they were likely the biggest (and most influential) early dm band
----
08.02.2009 - 23:56
ForeverDarkWoods

Quote:
Written by thesabbathfan on 08.02.2009 at 23:52

did they?

yea, um, i've already made my point about death. they may not have started death metal, but they were likely the biggest (and most influential) early dm band

One could argue that the most influential early dm band was not Death but Possessed (which influenced Death). But then again, everybody had their influences.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
08.02.2009 - 23:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:
Written by thesabbathfan on 08.02.2009 at 23:52

did they?

example... gosh... this is a stupid argument... if Shadows Fall say that Peace Sells was a very influential album for them, then I know they were influenced or if I hear a similar riff or structure, then I can make some conclusions...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.02.2009 - 01:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
Chuch since Death was a great band. Pantera is overrated and although Dimebag knew what he was doing, I never really liked the music he created.
----
19.08.2009 - 02:29
Razorback

Both were great,and had a big influence in metal music,but i am big fan of Dimebag so my vote goes to him,but definitly both are worth of respect.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
28.08.2009 - 03:38
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Always was a bigger Chuck fan. Death for life.
29.08.2009 - 05:27
Hanyuchan

Well, it really all comes down to what type of music you prefer. Thrash Metal fans will most likley choose Dimebag, and Death Metal fans will most likely choose Chuck. Being a Death fan I obviously went with Chuck.
02.09.2009 - 21:49
terrorist

This is some kind of joke right???Dimebag was of course better player and as for originality and the sound of guitar well Dimebag is way better even now whwrever they are.Sorry Chuck, i love Death but Dimebag is the ultimate player for me.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
03.09.2009 - 10:16
Saitenhexerin

I think you can't compare them, because they just played too different styles. And both were an influence for a generation of following bands.
I love both of them.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
12.09.2009 - 22:05
Shogun

Written by Warman on 09.02.2009 at 01:54

Chuch since Death was a great band. Pantera is overrated and although Dimebag knew what he was doing, I never really liked the music he created.

Exactly how I feel. Chuck was an especially good guitarist in Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance. They are probably equal on the scale of skill, but for me, Death's guitar riffs are more enjoyable. Dimebag I never liked.
----
U.S.A. for Satan!
18.09.2009 - 16:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Shogun on 12.09.2009 at 22:05

Written by Warman on 09.02.2009 at 01:54

Exactly how I feel. Chuck was an especially good guitarist in Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance. They are probably equal on the scale of skill, but for me, Death's guitar riffs are more enjoyable. Dimebag I never liked.

I feel just the same guys... I can't get into pantera at all...
But first time I heard Death, I LOVED IT especially in their Technical Death Moments

Bless The Sound of Perseverance

and yeah Chuck was better than Dimebag on a fucking guitar.. thats 4 sure
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.09.2009 - 04:29
ToMegaTherion

I think it is very hard to compare these two great musicians, but also a very interesting comparison. Dimebag was a great writer of riffs, and solos and in all a very very good guitarist. While I believe Pantera were rather overrated, they were still good and Dimebag was not at all overrated.
Chuck was another guitarist and whilest amongst metal circle he is almost worship by some as an almost godly figure (lame), he certainly deserved the attention he was incredible technically sound, great riffs, solos and an awesome song writer as well.

A very tough comparison, my vote goes to Chuck is the basis of personal preferance, i don't really think either one is better than the other or if they are its imposible to tell for me.
But would it have been awesome to see these two play in the same band, that would have been something special.
23.09.2009 - 05:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by ToMegaTherion on 23.09.2009 at 04:29

I think it is very hard to compare these two great musicians, but also a very interesting comparison. Dimebag was a great writer of riffs, and solos and in all a very very good guitarist. While I believe Pantera were rather overrated, they were still good and Dimebag was not at all overrated.
Chuck was another guitarist and whilest amongst metal circle he is almost worship by some as an almost godly figure (lame), he certainly deserved the attention he was incredible technically sound, great riffs, solos and an awesome song writer as well.

A very tough comparison, my vote goes to Chuck is the basis of personal preferance, i don't really think either one is better than the other or if they are its imposible to tell for me.
But would it have been awesome to see these two play in the same band, that would have been something special.

Both in the same band ? lol nice never thought of that
it would be some sick mixed up music thats 4 sure
even though I prefer Chuck, Dimebag was still a great guitarist
I think the idea was funny to see those 2 in the same band lol wicked thing I say.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
18.08.2010 - 13:38
JD
Account deleted
For me i think Dimebag.
18.08.2010 - 13:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Dimebag became terribly overrated after his death. I prefer Chuck, although both are to some degree.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
20.08.2010 - 00:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I voted for Chuck. Although Dime was a great guitarist.
20.10.2010 - 13:15
MetalFist
Account deleted
Both are amazing (RIP), but Chuck is better.
21.10.2010 - 01:51
Klintopher

They are both awesome at their genre, but I have to like Chuck more, Pantera was one of my first favorite metal bands, but Death just destroyed Pantera when I heard them!!
Besides, no Death, no death metal
03.12.2010 - 08:51
tweetbombardier

Oh wow, Chuck of course.
15.12.2010 - 17:48
bandido

Impossible to compare them!!! they played way different styles. By the way, I'm a Pantera and a Death fan
----
"Rockin' every single piece of metal..."
31.03.2011 - 22:08
WhiskeyBay

I see why you would put two dead guitarist but seriously, how the fuck do you compare Chuck to Dave Mustaine? Chuck created death metal and Dave is just trying to be Metallica. Chuck is number one all the way. SCREAM BLOODY GOORRRREEEEEEEE!!!!
01.04.2011 - 03:23
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Chuck Schuldiner is a creator of one of the most important metal genres. Also, the technical stuff he plays is completely untouchable! RIP Chuck Schuldiner!
01.04.2011 - 04:59
Yasmine

Death had more complex riffs, solos and drumming for a reason......
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
01.04.2011 - 05:31
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 01.04.2011 at 04:59

Because Churck was a great drummer

Also, I can't believe that this is even a question... Chuck muthafucking Schuldiner, father of death metal and creator of some of the best damn riffs known to man, verus Douchebag Darrel(sorry, I've had that joke built up for years...), the father of nu metal? They're both fine guitarists and all, with D-bag having one of my all time favorite solo's, the Cemetary Gates solo, but there's really no contest... Just listen to The Sound of Perseverance.
01.04.2011 - 05:40
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 05:31

Written by Yasmine on 01.04.2011 at 04:59

Because Churck was a great drummer

Also, I can't believe that this is even a question... Chuck muthafucking Schuldiner, father of death metal and creator of some of the best damn riffs known to man, verus Douchebag Darrel(sorry, I've had that joke built up for years...), the father of nu metal? They're both fine guitarists and all, with D-bag having one of my all time favorite solo's, the Cemetary Gates solo, but there's really no contest... Just listen to The Sound of Perseverance.

LOL, I Was implying that the song were written by him. lol But I completely agree. Though I think I like Human best.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
01.04.2011 - 13:36
theFIST

And the winner is............. Hasjarl
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
09.04.2012 - 16:43
Infernal Eternal

My choice is Dimebag. Actually, he's my favourite dead artist.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter