Metal Storm logo
Worst Album Art

07.10.2008 - 10:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Recently, album covers have been taking dives in quality. Helloween's CGI on "Gambling With the Devil" is god awful and dont even get me started on "Dance of Death". but some bands have high quality album covers on a constant basis. Maiden, Priest and to a degree, Slayer all have had pretty insane album covers over the course of their expansive careers. Bathory and Windir have really killer album art as well. what are your highlights and lowlights in terms of album art?

UPDATE: DAMNATED has brought to my attention that there is a thread talking about best album covers so from here (10/15/08), this thread is only regarding BAD album covers.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.10.2008 - 11:37
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
As far as favorites go. I like a few of Dark Tranquillity's covers (Character, Damage Done, The Gallery) there like modern surreal, maybe a bit abstract. I agree, Windir's album covers are very cool. Immortal have VERY cheesy album covers. but that's what makes them great. Emperor also have classically cool album art in In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk.

I don't know about bad ones. I usually only remember the good ones. A good amount of power metal has awful album art. Dance Of Death was abysmal, and even though I love them At The Gates covers are pretty boring.
----
Coldgrits
08.10.2008 - 03:06
Barbaydos
Account deleted
i reckon one of the best album covers has got to be Megadeths Peace Sells But Who's Buying, as well as Youthanasia i got them a while ago and just found them again a couple of weeks ago. another good one i think is Amon Amath's Twilight Of The Thunder Gods its pretty sweet.
08.10.2008 - 03:42
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
08.10.2008 - 09:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Introspekrieg on 08.10.2008 at 03:42

BEST - Without a doubt Tool: Ænima/Lateralus Only topped by their videos... and Saxon!!!

WORST - @Varelse...
Extension Of The Wish
Ultra Beatdown
We've Come For You All
Lovedrive
Into Glory Ride
Scream Dream
The Miracle

PEDO WARNING
*New Obscurantis Order
*Virgin Killer
*HIStory

The Sensuous Black Woman Meets the Sensuous Black Man

The list goes on...

come on dude Virgin Killer isnt that bad.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
08.10.2008 - 10:48
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
i think the worst album art ever is st. anger and the best i think hmmm i guess AWAKE by dream theater and PEACE SELLS by megadeth
----
Stay Metal !!!
08.10.2008 - 13:36
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
fear of the dark (iron maiden) a matter of life and death (iron maiden) and reign in blood (slayer) wintersun great album covers i think while edguy and helloween have the worst album art
08.10.2008 - 23:21
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Powerslavex on 08.10.2008 at 13:36

fear of the dark (iron maiden) a matter of life and death (iron maiden) and reign in blood (slayer) wintersun great album covers i think while edguy and helloween have the worst album art

mmm most of edguy's covers have been pretty solid in my opinion. vain glory opera was a good one.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

09.10.2008 - 00:06
Remus

Oh my word, this thing is awesome! best album cover i've seen on this thread so far!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
09.10.2008 - 00:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

New Obscurantis Order
Virgin Killer

Ahhh C'mon! they are not bad... Ok, AN's cover is quite boring but not the worst shit. And virgin killer is really original... and a bit brutal IMO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.10.2008 - 00:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Remus on 09.10.2008 at 00:06

Oh my word, this thing is awesome! best album cover i've seen on this thread so far!

no thats the best one EVER.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

09.10.2008 - 14:53
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by LeChron James on 08.10.2008 at 23:21

mmm most of edguy's covers have been pretty solid in my opinion. vain glory opera was a good one.

vain glory opera is ok but i mean Kingdom of Madness,Hellfire Club,Mandrake are bit too simple and boring
14.10.2008 - 19:05
smcl369

Worst = Any Hypocrisy Album

Best = ?:necro:
15.10.2008 - 01:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

AMOLAD has to be one of my favorite album covers of all time....too bad the album wasn't that good.

Another really good one is from a band called S.T.R.E.E.T.S (Almost like psychedelic crossover thrash), I believe this is the cover of their album "Invaders From Gnars" (not exactly sure, but I hope to be getting it soon and it would be a nice bonus if this was the actual cover:
http://tinypic.com/af7z48.jpg

High On Fires latest album cover is great, theres a lot of detail in it when you look at it up close (my current avatar). As well as Doros latest ("Warrior Soul")....Oh, and I love Motorheads "Kiss Of Death" cover.

As far as worst goes, heres some ones I didn't like at all:
Motorhead-Motorizer
Destroyer 666-Cold Steel...
Dio-Angry Machines
Motley Crue-Generation Swine
MC5-High Time
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.10.2008 - 01:37
Damnated
Churchburner
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.10.2008 - 12:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Damnated on 15.10.2008 at 01:37

http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=1186 tbh.

find me a thread about the worst album arts ever an i'll get rid of this one.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

15.10.2008 - 12:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by LeChron James on 15.10.2008 at 12:33

talk only about bad covers then.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.10.2008 - 12:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Damnated on 15.10.2008 at 12:37

Written by LeChron James on 15.10.2008 at 12:33

talk only about bad covers then.

Happy now?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

15.10.2008 - 14:29
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by LeChron James on 15.10.2008 at 12:40

Happy now?

i'm euphoric.

also here's the worst album cover every created. i used to laugh at this, but nowadays it's just annoying.
----

15.10.2008 - 14:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There many of them, specely nowdays and modern album artvorks, penagrams, horns, devil, future world, some stupid non sence pics, those who know me know what type of album artwork i like

GOOD:
http://static.metal-archives.com/images/9/0/5/2/90527.JPG

BAD
http://static.metal-archives.com/images/9/0/5/3/90530.JPG

Hope you get my point
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.10.2008 - 14:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 15.10.2008 at 14:29

Happy now?

i'm euphoric.

also here's the worst album cover every created. i used to laugh at this, but nowadays it's just annoying.

Come on the cover of Manowar - Anthology is even worse than Into Glory Ride.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2008 - 14:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Manowar covers is good , I had seen worst covers, because putting band pic its not bad, even so posseing pic, but still its OK
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.10.2008 - 19:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2008 at 14:42

hahaha, i haven't seen that one until now. you're right, it's worse.
----

15.10.2008 - 19:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 15.10.2008 at 19:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2008 at 14:42

hahaha, i haven't seen that one until now. you're right, it's worse.

There is this site which has the worst album covers ever (no matter what usic genre) and Anthology is on that list as well. But then again pretty much ALL of Manowar's covers are extremely crap, cheesy etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2008 - 21:51
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Damnated on 15.10.2008 at 14:29

Happy now?

i'm euphoric.

goood to see youre as overjoyed as i am

and yeah thats pretty much the most optically distressing cover ever.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

15.10.2008 - 22:16
-tom-
Mr FancyPants

I love it in some ways but it's really bad. I think I prefer this version to the reissue with photoshopped dark clouds for extra kvlt.

The 'Man and Jinn' MCD has an awful cover. Ican't find a good enough picture on google to really show how bad it is.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
27.01.2009 - 07:17
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
My fucking jesus there have been a BUNCHA bad covers lately. like that Techny-Call X band. what? really? no one with a name or album cover or band picture like that can possibly be taken seriously.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

27.01.2009 - 08:06
tulkas
el parcero
First one that came to my mind is metallica's st. anger cover. seriuosly, who drew that? what where they thinking? it's as if it was desinged by a 5yr old kid or something. right now i can't think of others, but imo this is one is as bad as a cover can go...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
27.01.2009 - 10:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by LeChron James on 08.10.2008 at 09:33

come on dude Virgin Killer isnt that bad.

Yeah, but look how old (or young I should say) that girl looks! (hence the title...) Owning that album would make me feel like such a creep, even in comparison to some of the heinous grindcore covers there are out there.

...Though it is a fantastic album IMO.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.01.2009 - 10:25
Zombie, M.D.

@Tom: I LOVE that Havhoej cover! I take it about as seriously as their lyrics though....

Now, I love Graveland to death but this album cover is almost as questionable as Mr Darkens fashion choices. Did he copy this out of some shitty clip art gallery?

----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer