Metal Storm logo
Corrupted

07.10.2008 - 20:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Corrupted is, or should be, a household name for any fan of Sludge/Drone/Extreme Doom metal. Creating some of the heaviest music ever, mostly because of the unreal sledgehammer riffs, they are a treat for every one that craves underground sickeningly amazing music. But they are more than just sledgehammer riffs, their vocalist has an unmatched deep roar, shaking your very bones, and they always surprise. For example, they have used both harps and piano's in their maelstrom of sludge and not just as a gimmick but as real mood enhancers and integral parts of the music. "El Mundo Frio" is a perfect example of this, a journey where both heaven and hell are visited multiple times. "Llenandose De Gusanos" also comes to mind with its epic heaven vs hell - the fall of the Beast atmosphere.

They've been around since 1994 and have released four full-lengths, of which I own the last three and should receive the other one in a week or three. Besides the full-lengths they have released a lot of hard/impossible-to-find splits and ep's, of which I have heard none. But at this point, I can assure you the last three full-lengths are all pure gold. If you want to read a review, you can. There's a "El Mundo Frio" review here, and a "Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos" review here. A review for "Llenandose De Gusanos" should be on its way.

Did I mention this band is slowly becoming one of my favourites? Surely, their songs are always very long, but in my experience they are always rewarding. So here is their official topic!

SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.10.2008 - 22:37
Southern Wind
Account deleted
One of my favourite bands of all times, and certainly my favourite in the sludge genre, music that I like a lot, btw... There's something sick, yes very ceremonial about their music, they balance perfectly heaviness and subtle ambiences, and some of their lyrics are the best I had ever read in spanish by a metal band (which is pretty ironic considering that they're from Japan).

It's hard for me to tell if I have a favourite album by them, as all their stuff is amazing, except some of their split and old EP material that sound too much raw.

Well, I simply admire Corrupted a lot... been an old fan of them.
07.10.2008 - 23:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yeah, you're the one to thank concerning Corrupted. If it wouldn't be for one of your posts I wouldn't know them. So well, thanks, haha.

I might be studying Spanish in a couple of months or next year, as part of my Economic studies. I'd really like to read their lyrics.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.10.2008 - 18:37
Southern Wind
Account deleted
You study Spanish in Economic studies? ...well, it may be helpful of you want to exploit some cheap south american workers someday.

Going back to Corrupted, I think they must be freaking amazing live... especially El Mundo Frio, with that harps and otherwordly ambience. The singing in El Mundo Frio seems to be in English, btw...
08.10.2008 - 18:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 08.10.2008 at 18:37

You study Spanish in Economic studies? ...well, it may be helpful of you want to exploit some cheap south american workers someday.

If I'm going to take one of the more internationally oriented studies, yeah, i'll have to choose german/french/spanish. Obviously it'll be Spanish. Traumatized by the other too. But that's waaaaaayyyy off-topic.

Quote:
Going back to Corrupted, I think they must be freaking amazing live... especially El Mundo Frio, with that harps and otherwordly ambience. The singing in El Mundo Frio seems to be in English, btw...

Oh yeah, one of the bands I would kill for to see live. But do they even gig outside Japan?
----

09.10.2008 - 04:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I know they've played in the US because I own some live bootlegs from California... but that's all I know.
14.10.2008 - 18:24
MathC
Account deleted
I love the split with crippled bastards as well as La victima es tu mismo. Great band all around.
26.04.2009 - 13:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I'm reviving this topic from the dead, as I'm on a serious Corrupted obsession/crave right now. Currently spinning their 7" "Dios Injusto". Bloody awesome stuff.

It struck me that this band is one of the few of which I like pretty much all of their material (the stuff I've heard, at least). Some other top ranking bands (Shining, Mayhem, Acid Bath, Esoteric, etc.) all have had their lesser moments, but from Corrupted, anything is great.

I'm collecting their 7"s and splits right now, and although it's costing me a lot of money, I prefer buying them over buying the new limited-to-666-badly-produced Black metal album. I've got a nice list with the following as physical copies:

Corrupted
# 1997 - Paso Inferior
# 1999 - Dios Injusto [EP vinyl]
# 1999 - Llenandose De Gusanos
# 2001 - Discordance Axis / Corrupted / 324 [EP]
# 2002 - Corrupted / Cripple Bastards [EP vinyl]
# 2004 - Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos
# 2005 - El Mundo Frio
# 2007 - An Island Insane [EP vinyl]
# 2007 - Vasana [EP vinyl]

They've changed their style over the years, but always kept themselves interesting. "Paso Inferior" is certainly a completely different album than "El Mundo Frio", but both are amazing in their own right. Besides the full-length, I'd recommend their last two EP's (An Island Insane and Vasana) as they are both mind-blowing as well.
----

26.04.2009 - 14:09
routa
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 08.10.2008 at 18:44

Oh yeah, one of the bands I would kill for to see live. But do they even gig outside Japan?

You probably knew about this already, but anyway: http://www.capsule.org.uk/blog/2009/03/thorrs-hammer-the-accused-corrupted-at-supersonic-festival-09/
26.04.2009 - 14:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 26.04.2009 at 14:09

Written by Lucas on 08.10.2008 at 18:44

You probably knew about this already, but anyway: http://www.capsule.org.uk/blog/2009/03/thorrs-hammer-the-accused-corrupted-at-supersonic-festival-09/

Actually not.

But I don't have that kind of money.
----

27.04.2009 - 21:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
They're rehearsing their new songs at the moment, for a planned recording session in May/June. They said that they hope to release these recordings before the Supersonic Festival, which is sort of a minor compensation.

Fucking excited, I can't wait.
----

28.04.2009 - 17:26
TheBigRossowski

Forgot about it, but I'll hop on last.fm and see what I think. Definitely in the mood for that kinda stuff right now. And Electric Wizard is playing the SAME night as A Forest of Stars, but in Manchester (where I fly in!). If only they played one day earlier. Fuck.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
28.04.2009 - 17:53
TheBigRossowski

Written by Lucas on 27.04.2009 at 21:35

They're rehearsing their new songs at the moment, for a planned recording session in May/June. They said that they hope to release these recordings before the Supersonic Festival, which is sort of a minor compensation.

Hate to ''spam'' here, man, but uh, which album would you recommend? It seems the songs are quite..uh, uh, drawn out, but the Dude wants to hear this stuff.
----
28.04.2009 - 18:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by TheBigRossowski on 28.04.2009 at 17:53

Hate to ''spam'' here, man, but uh, which album would you recommend? It seems the songs are quite..uh, uh, drawn out, but the Dude wants to hear this stuff.

El Mundo Frio: incredibly drawn-out, seventy minutes of harp and brutal sludge. They take their time on this, so to speak. For example: there's a piece of harp that lasts for a couple of minutes, the guitar throws out a first feedback squeal, and it will take at least five more minutes before the entire sound has shifted from delicate harp to brutal sludge. Incredibly awesome album, but it'll require patience.

Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos: the one I'd recommend to 'newbies' of Corrupted. Short (35 minutes) and perhaps more important: the acoustic and sludge moments are split into different songs, so you can easily skip either of the two. They are equally awesome though. The Sludge Doom itself (last two tracks) is also more concise and brutal than were used to by them.

Llenandose de Gusanos: I'm gonna sound like a fanboy here, but this one is awesome too. Mixes subtle piano with brutal sludge, not unlike El Mundo Frio. It's a bit less accessible though, I think. Not for the starters, but definitely a reccomendation for the ones already into drone/doom/weird shit.

Paso Inferior: not recommend for the starter either, as it's very fucking repetitive. very. fucking. repetitive. it's a great listen, although inferior to the other three.

So yeah, Se Hace... would be the way to go, imo. If you like that one, go for El Mundo Frio, and if you like that one.... well, then you're lost into the world of doom and gloom, probably.

I've reviewed all four full-lengths, so you may wanna read those too.

Oh and to all downloaders, as I've said the physical ep's are pricey, all the more reason to check out "Vasana", "An Island Insane", "Dios Injusto" (and thats all I own... )
----

28.04.2009 - 18:20
TheBigRossowski

Written by Lucas on 28.04.2009 at 18:08

Written by TheBigRossowski on 28.04.2009 at 17:53

El Mundo Frio: incredibly drawn-out, seventy minutes of harp and brutal sludge. They take their time on this, so to speak. For example: there's a piece of harp that lasts for a couple of minutes, the guitar throws out a first feedback squeal, and it will take at least five more minutes before the entire sound has shifted from delicate harp to brutal sludge. Incredibly awesome album, but it'll require patience.

Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos: the one I'd recommend to 'newbies' of Corrupted. Short (35 minutes) and perhaps more important: the acoustic and sludge moments are split into different songs, so you can easily skip either of the two. They are equally awesome though. The Sludge Doom itself (last two tracks) is also more concise and brutal than were used to by them.

Llenandose de Gusanos: I'm gonna sound like a fanboy here, but this one is awesome too. Mixes subtle piano with brutal sludge, not unlike El Mundo Frio. It's a bit less accessible though, I think. Not for the starters, but definitely a reccomendation for the ones already into drone/doom/weird shit.

Paso Inferior: not recommend for the starter either, as it's very fucking repetitive. very. fucking. repetitive. it's a great listen, although inferior to the other three.

So yeah, Se Hace... would be the way to go, imo. If you like that one, go for El Mundo Frio, and if you like that one.... well, then you're lost into the world of doom and gloom, probably.

I've reviewed all four full-lengths, so you may wanna read those too.

Oh and to all downloaders, as I've said the physical ep's are pricey, all the more reason to check out "Vasana", "An Island Insane", "Dios Injusto" (and thats all I own... )

I'll see how I feel after Se Hace. I like long songs, but 50+ minutes is a long time to listen to ONE song. When I say, long, maybe twenty minutes WAS the max especially in doom metal. When I heard III-So Long Suckers I thought HOLY FUCK, this is long as fuck. But you're not really a Reverend Bizarre fanboy are you, that's Marcel.

Fuckin' Quintana, that creep can roll man. Thanks dude!
----
29.04.2009 - 13:29
TheBigRossowski

That hit the spot dude, a nice blend of melodic passages then torn apart with a sludge of all sludginess... I checked out El Mundo Frio, but only after Se Hace. That's great shit! I see where your coming from here. It met and exceeded my general expectations in the sound department.

In other words: Far-out, man. I read some where about a new one coming out, three discs, ONE song or some shit like that?

Are you going to this Supersonic Festival, or what?
----
29.04.2009 - 17:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by TheBigRossowski on 29.04.2009 at 13:29

In other words: Far-out, man. I read some where about a new one coming out, three discs, ONE song or some shit like that?

Where did you hear that? I know they are planning a new release this summer, but I heard nothing about a three-disc/one-song thing. But I'm sure as hell already starting to save money for that biatch.

Quote:

Nope, haven't got the money for it. It'd be around 400 bucks I imagine, for seeing them live (granted with a ton of other cool bands), but I just don't have that kind of money...
----

29.04.2009 - 18:14
TheBigRossowski

Written by Lucas on 29.04.2009 at 17:04

Written by TheBigRossowski on 29.04.2009 at 13:29

Where did you hear that? I know they are planning a new release this summer, but I heard nothing about a three-disc/one-song thing. But I'm sure as hell already starting to save money for that biatch.

Quote:

Nope, haven't got the money for it. It'd be around 400 bucks I imagine, for seeing them live (granted with a ton of other cool bands), but I just don't have that kind of money...

Arrgghhhh... that's aggravating, I knew I should have bookmarked that page, now I can't find it. Still searching though...

I also took the liberty of adding the full-lengths to metalcon.de and the albums got approved right away. Everything goes relatively fast there... regardless if it's wrong(or so it seems...). Anyways, the guy who accepted my edits didn't add the tracklist because he thought it was a mistake, lol. Paso Inferior (41:46)...
----
03.06.2009 - 15:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
This boards needs moahhr Corrupted. In the meantime, I've collected the biggest part of their discography. In fact, if the Twin Threat To Your Sanity compilation arrives all I will still need are the splits with Noothgrush and Sloth.

Can't wait for the new material.
----

03.06.2009 - 17:36
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
El Mundo Frio <3
05.06.2009 - 22:34
TheBigRossowski

I finally received Paso Inferior about a week and a half ago, maybe two weeks. You know what... I still haven't listened to it! I don't know if I should spend the 41 minutes listening to the CD or playing from my iPod therefore scrobbling it.

I downloaded a few good CDs and was in the midst of checking out some new stuff... but I need to listen to this one now! I waited so long, damn it!
----
28.07.2009 - 22:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 03.06.2009 at 15:01

This boards needs moahhr Corrupted. In the meantime, I've collected the biggest part of their discography. In fact, if the Twin Threat To Your Sanity compilation arrives all I will still need are the splits with Noothgrush and Sloth.

Can't wait for the new material.

Try their split with Grief... it features the best Grief song ever released (My Dilemma).... Corrupted's "Mi Pueblo" is also amazing... too bad is such a short split, but absolutely worthy.
22.08.2009 - 23:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Also heard bits and pieces of rumors on a split between the ole mighty Corrupted and the ole mighty Asunder. No real sources though.

In the meanwhile, my love for this band has gone beyond previous love I've had for bands. I've had periods of obsession with for example Behemoth and Shining, but Corrupted took the term 'fanboi' to a whole new level.

I've also purchased a few compilations, some bootlegs and the split with Noothgrush. Which means the list is now (I can't help but brag here by posting the full list, apologies.)

Corrupted - Anciano [EP] (1995)
Corrupted - Nadie [EP] (1995)
Corrupted - El Dios Queja [EP] (1995)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Grief [EP] (1995)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Black Army Jacket [EP] (1997)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Noothgrush [EP] (1997)
Corrupted - Paso Inferior (1997)
Corrupted - Paso Inferior (1997)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Enemy Soil [EP] (1997)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Scarver's Calling [EP] (1999)
Corrupted - Llenandose De Gusanos (1999)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Phobia [EP] (1999)
Corrupted - Dios Injusto [EP] (1999)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Machetazo [EP] (2000)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Meat Slave [EP] (2000)
Corrupted - Corrupted / 324 / Discordance Axis [EP] (2001)
Corrupted - Twin Threat To Your Sanity [EP] (2001)
Corrupted - La Victima Es Tu Mismo [EP] (2001)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Cripple Bastards [EP] (2002)
Corrupted - Corrupted / Infaust [EP] (2002)
Corrupted - Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos (2004)
Corrupted - El Mundo Frio (2005)
Corrupted - An Island Insane [EP] (2007)
Corrupted - Vasana [EP] (2007)
Corrupted Bootlegs - US 1997 Tour #1 (1997)
Corrupted Bootlegs - US 1997 Tour #2 (1997)
Corrupted Bootlegs - Prague, 007 Club (2000)
Corrupted Bootlegs - Niigata, Z - 1 (2005)
Corrupted Compilations - Painkiller Vol. I (1996)
Corrupted Compilations - Reality Part #3 (1999)
Corrupted Compilations - Homeless Benefit (1999)

And I have the "Una De Gato Cuerno De Vaca" incoming. Still need to find "Corrupted / Sloth" & "Raggle Taggle vol. 1". I actually doubt I'll ever acquire those, though.
----

16.03.2010 - 20:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Topic needs moar attention. The announced three-disc-album/split with Asunder/whatever they announced is still not in. Well, my article on them is still not finished either so I guess i should whine.

I've check e-bay for I believe an entire year now, at least once every three days. For months on it, i checked it daily. It has become a basic routine to search for corrupted on ebay to see if anybody has anything up for grabs. I've acquired all their material, i believe all their bootlegs too, and their compilations EXCEPT:

Corrupted / Sloth
Raggle Taggle vol. 1

I know I'll never get them. I know if either of them appears on e-bay, they're gonna change owner for a laaarge pile of cash. I still want them. If anybody is willing to sell/trade them, contact me.
----

17.03.2010 - 15:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'd had El Mundo Frio sat unlistened for about a year until I saw you reprised this thread and I wish I'd listened to it earlier, it's certainly something special. Actually I think I dreamt about listening to it too it. It has an almost unprecented level of atmosphere for an album of its kind combined with an extremely considered approach. I'll certainly be checking out their other stuff shortly. Any band that takes 20 minutes to build up a song is always worthy of exploration.
17.03.2010 - 21:04
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I love all of the full lengths for their differences from one another, but the three after Paso Inferior are definitely the best to me, including more atmospheric elements in the music after that point instead of just a pure on sludge rampaging. "Gekkou no daichi" is such a wonderful song, and I'm kinda glad I can't understand what they're saying with their lyrics, cause it would definitely take something away from the music for me.
02.10.2010 - 17:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
"Llenandose de gusanos (2CD)", "El Mundo Frio" and "Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos CD HG-180 gate fold sleeve (cd version)" are going to get repressed by HG Fact so if you don't own them yet don't buy them for ridiculous prices on e-bay.

Written by Lucas on 16.03.2010 at 20:44

Corrupted / Sloth
Raggle Taggle vol. 1

I know I'll never get them. I know if either of them appears on e-bay, they're gonna change owner for a laaarge pile of cash. I still want them. If anybody is willing to sell/trade them, contact me.

I checked e-bay for 18 months at least once every three days, often once a day, but never saw them on there. I forgot to check the past month though.
----

23.11.2010 - 05:54
spirit_inblack
harshhead
So, Hevi has left and they've been playing without vocals. A damn shame, since he had one of the most amazing/grating voices.
23.11.2010 - 15:24
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by spirit_inblack on 23.11.2010 at 05:54

So, Hevi has left and they've been playing without vocals. A damn shame, since he had one of the most amazing/grating voices.

Where did you hear that, this is a shame since his vocal performance was brilliant always
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
23.11.2010 - 19:59
spirit_inblack
harshhead
On the Corrupted last.fm page, someone had posted that Hevi wrote such a statement regarding his guitting the band on his facebook page, which I don't know the truth of, but M-A has it listed that he's out of the band.