Metal Storm logo
Camel

08.10.2008 - 10:41
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
one of the best prog rock bands and so underrated , if you like pink floyd and king crimson this is the band for you they released great albums on the 70's i think too good for those years
full of technice and feeling , my favorite album is Moonmadness great bass, and guitar lines and the song Chord Change its just a masterpiece and the sad ballad Spirit of the water is just amazing
----
Stay Metal !!!
08.10.2008 - 11:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
I've got some of their stuff. Nude, Harbor of tears and Rajaz.. They are good, and also they have good concept albums... I like concept albums.
08.10.2008 - 19:25
marillionfan
Account deleted
wow, a Camel thread! one of my favourite bands, I've listened to most of their albums, a band that has never disappointed me; their best work lies between 1973 and 1977 (let's say it's their classic period); a lot of progheads are disappointed with their 1978-1984 albums because the music became more accessible. But to me those albums are not weak at all, as IMO Camel never sold out as Genesis did, for example. Latimer is an amazing songwriter, his guitar playing is full of emotion.

I would recommend - the selftitled debut, Mirage, The Snow Goose, Rain Dances, Nude, Breathless (anyway, I find their 70s work fantastic), Stationary Traveller (1984); their more recent stuff is great as well (Dust and dreams, Rajaz, Harbour of tears, A Nod and a Wink).

I've just realized I did not mention three of their albums: Moonmadness (a masterpiece from 1976), already mentioned by the creator of this thread, You Can See Your House from Here (1979) and The Single Factor (1982) - these two albums are not bad at all, but they are Camel's most accessible albums, easy listening prog compared to the albums of their classic period.
09.10.2008 - 00:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Camel is an awesome band, I'm a huge fan of Camel...it sucks that they aren't touring anymore because of the loss of Pete Bardens...I'm not really sure if it that was what made them stop or not...they were really starting to release some of their most mature progressive rock music ever...I really enjoyed A Nod And A Wink and when Latimer moved to the states and started making some of their best music because he finally had the freedom to do so with their own label even though most of it was just session musicians...it could've been that the band was holding back Latimer because it sure sounded like it...their first album was just a promise that they would be around for a long time progressing nicely with a great string of albums...
09.10.2008 - 17:40
marillionfan
Account deleted
Camel hasn't toured or released anything in quite a while because Latimer has health problems, and apparently something serious.

Let's hope he gets better; at least that. When he wants to create new songs, he'll do it.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52381

well, great news, Latimer is getting better. That's great.
10.10.2008 - 02:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I just thought that they were no more because Camel had something called a Camel on the Road Farewell Tour 2003...
06.03.2009 - 03:15
addiction

Noone has written here for a long time...:) well anyway i love camel! i only own 5 of their albums though so far....the first 4 and breathless. my favourites are the first 2. i like the next 2 as well, but breathless is a bit boring compared to the others and though the new singer has a better voice its a bit....hmmm maybe not as 'special' in a way.....i still like the guitarwork in breathless but it just doesnt strike me as hard as the first 2 albums, which are just excellent!!!
----
alive in the superunknown
06.03.2009 - 22:32
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I've been a fan of these guys for years. I have been trying to track down their albums on vinyl. I've got pretty much all their stuff on CD but...fuck CD's. When I want quality music, I want in on my turn table, not my iPod.
----
(space for rent)
12.11.2014 - 00:43
_deepblack

Camel ... Camel and it instrumental songs its all there no things to say here