02. I Am Your Willing Darkness
03. Suffering G.O.D. Almighty
04. Ravished With Thee Light
05. Unleashing The Propaganda
06. I See The Lie Behind All Truths
07. An Overture Of Sorrows Unfolding
08. All Those Tristful Winters
09. Anathema Unveiled

Greece has always been very undervalued in terms of Metal bands. A country that brought us bands such as Septic Flesh, Rotting Christ, Nightfall and a lot more has to be credited for bringing originality to the Metal scene on a regular basis. From 1995 to 2001, another Greek band was ravaging Europe with their recipe of Death Metal, The Elysian Fields. Well, against all odds, the band is back after 4 years of silence with what already sounds like the most innovative album of their career. Using electronic elements and combining them with their famous Melodic/Extreme Death Metal sound, the band released their 4th album entitled "Suffering G.O.D. Almighty" and Europe is in for another wave of creativity that might as well reach the shores of all continents.

The trio composing The Elysian Fields didn't come back just for the sake of being back as this album unveils so many great aspects of their music. The melodies flow from melodic to extreme with a simplicity that can only be induced by great musicianship. The electronic elements are present all the times and really are a strong component of the songs; they aren't simple background sounds to be able to put the label "electronic" on their music. The production even put the emphasis on the effects and keys more than on anything else, and it seems to be working perfectly in spite of the fast rhythms. The vocals are growled with few exceptions and they stick to the empowering guitar riffs. Those riffs are grandiose and head banging is mandatory at times.

My only complaint is that this album is rather short (below the 40 minute mark) but then I've been listening to this album at least 3 times in a row for the past 10 days and I'm still totally into it.

Some of you might think that late Dark Tranquillity albums are a reference in terms of blending Melodic Death Metal with electronic elements. Well, you're right but I think The Elysian Fields are pushing the envelope even further on this album and it's all working for them.

While I've never heard any of their previous albums, I can already tell you that some fans will be taken aback by the electronic sound of "Suffering G.O.D. Almighty", but for all the wrong reasons. If they would take one minute to listen to the result before protesting, the truth would fly in their face. This album has class, consistency, a great production and potential hits. If you like Melodic Death Metal loaded with electronic sounds, "Suffering G.O.D. Almighty" is waiting for you. I'll go as far as saying that this album is pioneering, establishing a trend in Death Metal that will last. If you still have no idea what I'm talking about, try to listen to 'An Overture Of Sorrows Unfolding', if you like it, you'll like the entire album.

Highlights: 'I Am Your Willing Darkness ', 'Ravished With Thee Light', 'Unleashing The Propaganda', 'An Overture Of Sorrows Unfolding' and 'All Those Tristful Winters'

Written on 28.03.2005 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 44 users
29.06.2006 - 13:33
Rating: 10
Metalforos666

Great band
Really great band. all that i can say
This is a brilliant album and i totally agree with the review
The only think i can't say more it is that any extreme metal fan will like this album
Masterpiece
Freshy and unique

Great band from Greece
Hail \m/
----
www.myspace.com/metalforos
30.06.2006 - 02:04
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Hell yeah, very underrated band. Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to see another fan.

Hits total: 3850 | This month: 11