Metal Storm logo
Best Overall Drummer

Original post

Posted by , 11.10.2008 - 04:22
Personally i think that Fredrik Andersson from Amon Amarth is the best overall. some of his best songs areValhal Awaits Me, Twilight Of The Thunder Gods or Cry Of The Blackbirds. but the others Like Joey or Michael Thomas and dirk are really good as well. if you think that another drummer is better than the others here then please add them.

Poll

Who Is The Best Drummer Overall?

other
Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Fredrik Andersson - Amon Amarth
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Joey Jordison - Slipknot
Dirk Verbeuren - Soilwork
Michael Thomas - Bullet For My Valentine
John Boecklin - DevilDriver

Total votes: 247
11.01.2015 - 00:45
Oakdude

ITT: People voting for their favorite band's drummer, not actually best drummer.'

Where's Niel Peart? He'd be my #1, and Mike Portnoy? He definetly deserves to be on the list.

And cmon Lars Ulric isn't even on top 100.
14.01.2015 - 15:40
Nucky

Nicko McBrain is my idol.. George Kollias is also very good..
05.05.2015 - 13:00
Souliens

George Kollias the best
16.05.2015 - 22:14
psykometal
A staff guy...
George Kollias is very good, but I'd say Hellhammer is quite better as an overall drummer.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.05.2015 - 21:49
sam1oq

Mike Portnoy of course
01.06.2015 - 23:42
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
From this list, Dirk Verbeuren stands out, his work on Soilwork's The Living Infinite was awesome. The choices in this list seem a little arbitrary.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
07.06.2015 - 07:30
Sentinel65

Neil Peart, Dave Lombardo, Brann Dailor, Mike Portnoy.
I would say Dailor is personally my favorite, he is a ridiculous drummer, in terms of skill and personality, and the fact that he can sing while doing all of that is amazing.
08.06.2015 - 04:38
Ganondox

I'm going to clarify Dailor is my favorite. Of the ones on the list it would probably be Nicko.
09.06.2015 - 09:38
Timmeh
Dudeman
I'm a drummer so I pay a lot of attention to drumming in my music. I actually was never able to appreciate drumming until I joined a band as a guitarist and understood the difference between a splash, crash, china, ride etc. Then I became a drummer, so all of a sudden percussive technicality and creativity was something I could comprehend. Honestly you guys would not believe the amount of ways you can customize the sound of your drums for eg. the number of snare wires under your snare, the angle and tightness of your cymbals, what your sticks are made out of.
Then there are techniques like off beat drumming, syncopation etc.

A great drummer can boost the quality of a band tenfold.

Some of my favourites

• Haake - Meshuggah
  • Chamberlin - The Smashing Pumpkins
  • Portnoy - Ex-Dream Theater
  • Hellhammer - Mayhem/Arcturus
  • Bercier - Quo Vadis
  • Dailor - Mastodon (can be a bit ADHD hyperactive sometimes, but I love him)
  • Richardson - BTBAM (probably my all time favourite)
  • Lombardo - Slayer
  • Carey - Tool
  • Harris - Isis
  • Harrison - Porcupine Tree
  • ----------------Special mentions----------------
  • Tomas Corn on the Lykathe album Elevenefris (just non human)
  • The drummer on the Opeth album Deliverance, my god that jazz influence
  • Drummer on Gorod's EP Transcendence (just beautiful)
24.06.2015 - 20:58
Infernal Eternal

Well, although I woul really like to vote for my compatriot George Kollias, hes just fast. I don't think there is a best overall drummer because the purpose of the drums in the various metal genres is not the same. That being said, some of my favourite drummers are Hellhammer and Vitek(R.I.P.)
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.07.2015 - 23:25
ADIresiduos

Written by Oakdude on 11.01.2015 at 00:45

ITT: People voting for their favorite band's drummer, not actually best drummer.'

Where's Niel Peart? He'd be my #1, and Mike Portnoy? He definetly deserves to be on the list.

And cmon Lars Ulric isn't even on top 100.

I also noticed the absence of Neil Peart; even though I like Rush but is not my favorite band, I do see that Neil is an awesome drummer! very precise, loose and seems to dominate different styles of drumming... just listen to YYZ and you'll know what I'm talking about. Best drummer doesn't mean the fastest and the coolest, it means versatile.
07.07.2015 - 21:09
Vikcen
Metálico
The great problem with this poll is: Where is Dave Lombardo?
04.01.2016 - 23:36
FM84DK

I Think Dave Lombardo but other metal drummers i like Pete Sandoval, Gene Hoglan, Vinnie Appice , Nicko mcbrain
George kollias, hellhammer. And No because im from Denmark dont Mean i like Lars Ulrich very overrated.
05.01.2016 - 17:28
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by FM84DK on 04.01.2016 at 23:36

I Think Dave Lombardo but other metal drummers i like Pete Sandoval, Gene Hoglan, Vinnie Appice , Nicko mcbrain
George kollias, hellhammer. And No because im from Denmark dont Mean i like Lars Ulrich very overrated.

I like Thomas "Thomen" Stauch, his touch is unique.