Metal Storm logo
Best Overall Drummer

Original post

Posted by , 11.10.2008 - 04:22
Personally i think that Fredrik Andersson from Amon Amarth is the best overall. some of his best songs areValhal Awaits Me, Twilight Of The Thunder Gods or Cry Of The Blackbirds. but the others Like Joey or Michael Thomas and dirk are really good as well. if you think that another drummer is better than the others here then please add them.

Poll

Who Is The Best Drummer Overall?

other
Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Fredrik Andersson - Amon Amarth
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Joey Jordison - Slipknot
Dirk Verbeuren - Soilwork
Michael Thomas - Bullet For My Valentine
John Boecklin - DevilDriver

Total votes: 247
07.09.2009 - 11:29
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Deadmeat on 07.09.2009 at 11:17

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.06.2009 at 22:00

Written by Dane Train on 18.06.2009 at 18:07

Written by TormentoR. on 18.06.2009 at 17:47

what the fuck "why" ? have you even ilstened it?

I sure have, and I would ask the same thing. There is nothing really notable about his drumming on those albums. It was just somewhat fast, but not interesting. Lars uses many of the same fill patterns over and over, and frankly, the work is not that intricate either. I mean, I know drummers who have learned Master of Puppets by ear.

Yeah... I think Lars is a great drummer... but not anywhere NEAR the best. He does what he does for Metallica. He fits... Which is probably the most important thing for any musician to do in a band.

But honestly... why the hell is Mike Portnoy not on this list?

come on man... ulrich doesn't even know to do a nice fill-in... he doesn't even have endurance. i dont remember metallica after the 90's to play 2 fast songs in a live situation. they play only battery and some times the first 1-2 minutes of blackened....

I've never seen Metallica play live, nor do I plan on it, so I can't comment on that. Album-wise tough, I think a lot of his drumming on most of their albums (don't really listen to Load, Reload, or St. Anger) is interesting and solid enough for me to call him a good drummer.
07.09.2009 - 11:34
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.09.2009 at 11:29

I've never seen Metallica play live, nor do I plan on it, so I can't comment on that. Album-wise tough, I think a lot of his drumming on most of their albums (don't really listen to Load, Reload, or St. Anger) is interesting and solid enough for me to call him a good drummer.

i've seen them live and also seen a lot of their dvd's of them. his drumming has NOTHING extraordinary. he doesn't even have 'his own style'.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
07.09.2009 - 12:00
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Deadmeat on 07.09.2009 at 11:34

his drumming has NOTHING extraordinary.

I never said it was. -.-
07.09.2009 - 12:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.09.2009 at 12:00

I never said it was. -.-

ok then. i just wanted to be clear that ulrich is a decent drummer. cause in other posts i saw people telling that he is a great drummer etc. and he is not. he is just a man holding the rhythm in metallicas songs. nothing more.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
07.09.2009 - 12:13
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Deadmeat on 07.09.2009 at 12:03

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.09.2009 at 12:00

I never said it was. -.-

ok then. i just wanted to be clear that ulrich is a decent drummer. cause in other posts i saw people telling that he is a great drummer etc. and he is not. he is just a man holding the rhythm in metallicas songs. nothing more.

I did say "great" in a previous post from a long while ago, but it was a poor choice of a word. I meant good. Sorry for the confusion.
07.09.2009 - 12:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.09.2009 at 12:13

I did say "great" in a previous post from a long while ago, but it was a poor choice of a word. I meant good. Sorry for the confusion.

don't say 'sorry' man... you didn't kill anybody!
----
07.09.2009 - 23:13
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Deadmeat on 07.09.2009 at 12:38

Yeah, you're right.... or did I?
07.09.2009 - 23:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.09.2009 at 23:13

Written by Deadmeat on 07.09.2009 at 12:38

Yeah, you're right.... or did I?

i am sure you didnt! someone else in here is the guilty man...
----
29.09.2009 - 04:56
ToMegaTherion

My favorite drummer is and will always be Hellhammer (Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, just to name a few of his projects. But his timeing is second to none, his accuracy is fantastic. And after havingt he fortune of seeing him live with Dimmu a few years ago, I can think of anyone even on the same level, he is a freak.
08.10.2009 - 10:50
Aristarchos

My favourite drummer is Daniel Svensson from In Flames. It´s hard to say who´s best, but I really like the way he is playing.
08.10.2009 - 19:20
soadbyob
Account deleted
I think Jordinson and Adler are underrated a lot
08.10.2009 - 19:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Okay let's get this straight... I abso"fucking"lutely hate Slipknot.

But...

Joey Jordison is best overall drummer out there. That man can drum absolutely drum anything he wants, unlike the totally overrated George Kollias whos is just fast and brutal. Why else did band such as Satyricon, Slayer as well, and Metallica (they never sounded better live than with Joey on drums) use the guy?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2009 - 20:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.10.2009 at 19:42

But...

Joey Jordison is best overall drummer out there. That man can drum absolutely drum anything he wants, unlike the totally overrated George Kollias whos is just fast and brutal. Why else did band such as Satyricon, Slayer as well, and Metallica (they never sounded better live than with Joey on drums) use the guy?
Maybe cos he sells records/tickets? I actually can't believe what I'm reading. How about Mike Mangini, Terry Bozzio, Horgh, Benante, Menza/DeGrasso or the Martins from Opeth? Bostaph, Hoglan? Proscriptor? Haake, Appice, Travis, Ward, Verbeuren?

edit - Sandoval? I knew I forgot a bunch but I really need to be getting to bed now... OK one more. Hunting.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.10.2009 - 20:52
Warman
Erotic Stains

But...

Damn, I think we agree on something for the third time today. I also think Jordison is an amazing drummer, even though I hate Slipknot. He's not the best (I still think Mike Portnoy is), but really really good. And yes, Metallica sounded better than ever with him.
----
10.10.2009 - 18:08
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Who chose these choices? They all suck.
13.10.2009 - 15:28
[insert name]

Hm. Joey Jordison is the best part about Slipknot (by a mile), Chris Adler is great and makes Lamb of God rise above most of the modern New Wave of American Heavy Metal, and I've cast my vote for Nicko McBrain, but there's three others that I think deserve mention. There's Scott Travis, who pretty much saved Judas Priest after the extraordinarily mediocre Dave Holland; and Ingo Schwichtenberg from Helloween and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater, both of whom are just flat-out good. Those six would probably be my favourite metal drummers.
----
I REJECT YOUR PUNY REALITIES! AND THEN THAT IS THE POINT AT WHICH I SUBSTITUTE THEM WITH MY OWN! I HAVE VICTORY!
15.10.2009 - 12:31
Hamird
Lieutenant

But...

Yes I also think George Kollias is brutally overrated.. And Joey Jordison is way better than Lars Ulrich and Dave Lombardo.. It's unfair people who don't like Slipknot, consider Jordison as a crappy drummer..

By the way recently I like Jordison's performance on Annihilation by the Hands of God with Roadrunner United. This song (+ Akerfeldt's Roads) are the only good songs on that album in my opinion..
15.10.2009 - 14:16
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Personally I prefer Thomas Haake from Meshuggah, that guy can split his brain into 4 separately working parts I think haha Absolute machine when it comes to playing odd timings. Fair enough I dont know all the drumming terminology but I think hes fantastic, however he does what he does hehe
30.11.2009 - 05:28
whatsacow

MIKE PORTNOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he is a god, odd time signatures and just plain awesome beats
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.11.2009 - 07:21
IronBlackZepp

Mike Portnoy is the best! The guy can drum anything.
01.12.2009 - 01:15
Warlock84

Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater or Danny Carey from Tool
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
23.12.2009 - 04:08
I_Die_Often

I choose George Kollias from NILE
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
23.12.2009 - 12:48
matthioso

I chose Lars Ulrich... nobody drums like him.
Even though Joey Jordison is an amazing drummer as well
----
www.seedofrock.be
05.01.2010 - 12:59
YIN

One of the best drummer - Tim Young.
and the drummer from porcupine tree is so great also.
06.01.2010 - 17:18
Arrwyn

God, I love the choices that were provided. REAL heroes of metal drumming.

Kai Hahto beats them by a long shot.
06.01.2010 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Arrwyn on 06.01.2010 at 17:18

Kai Hahto beats them by a long shot.

sorry, to say, but of the ones mentioned Joey ordison is vastly superior to Kai. As is Dirk Vebeuren
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.06.2010 - 05:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Courtesy of metalsucks, this guy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.06.2010 - 14:17
Lord_Regnier

Proscriptor McGovern (Absu)- insanely fast and technical at the same time
Ventor Reil (Kreator)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Svart (Hellsaw)
Frost (Satyricon, etc)

And I could name many others.
By the way, Fredrick Andersson (Amon Amarth) is quite overrated.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.06.2010 - 16:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Kudos to all the guys praising Joey Jordison's drumming even though they don't like Slipknot. Ive seen too many tr00 idiots slating him, or even saying he is a ''crap drummer''. Just because they happen to hate the band he is in. Which is just pathetic. You can appreciate talent and musicianship without liking the music itself. Well, intelligent people can anyways. I do happen to like Slipknot, and I do think Joey is an awesome drummer.

My fave drummer though, is Dave Lombardo. I still remember the first time I heard ''South Of Heaven'', and actually taking notice of the drumming on an album for the first time. I was blown away by the drumming on that album, and I still am all these years later.

I also really love:

Danny Herrera (Napalm Death)
Igor Cavalera (Sepultura)
Gene Hoglan
Richard Christy (Iced Earth/Death)
Sean Reinart (Death/Cynic)
Ventor (Kreator)
Uli Kusch (Gamma Ray/Helloween/Masterplan)
Mike Terrana (Rage/Masterplan)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
Nick Menza (Megadeth)

Have to mention Nicko McBrain too. He's never used a double bass pedal, but he always sounds phenomenal. Amazing drummer. As for Lars Ulrich, he is a decent solid drummer, and nothing more. He is above average, if nothing spectacular. I think people slate him because he is not technical in any way. But he is very good at what he does.
04.06.2010 - 00:09
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Dudes, Flo Mounier from Cryptopsy is the best drummer, hands down. He's got speed, control, and speed. EXTREME speed.