Metal Storm logo
Best Overall Drummer

Original post

Posted by , 11.10.2008 - 04:22
Personally i think that Fredrik Andersson from Amon Amarth is the best overall. some of his best songs areValhal Awaits Me, Twilight Of The Thunder Gods or Cry Of The Blackbirds. but the others Like Joey or Michael Thomas and dirk are really good as well. if you think that another drummer is better than the others here then please add them.

Poll

Who Is The Best Drummer Overall?

other
Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Fredrik Andersson - Amon Amarth
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Joey Jordison - Slipknot
Dirk Verbeuren - Soilwork
Michael Thomas - Bullet For My Valentine
John Boecklin - DevilDriver

Total votes: 247
27.02.2011 - 06:37
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Wait one bloody second- 12 people actually think that Lars is the best metal drummer? Furthermore, 12 people think that Lars is better then the almighty Flo Mournier? Lars is fucking sub-par, he's just in a famous band... Oh and also fucking John Longstreth of Origin. Antithesis has inhuman drumming.
01.03.2011 - 05:19
Wyrd

Todd Sucherman (Styx) Not really metal but still one of the greatest musicians in the drum world

Thomen "The Oman" Stauch. (exBlind Guardian, exSavage Circus)

Jörg Michael (Stratovarius)
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
03.03.2011 - 00:33
TrollandDie

Sean Reinert-Death/Cynic and Tom Hunting of Exodus are usually my favourites.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
23.03.2011 - 20:18
blacktooth85

Where's Dave Lombardo, Igor Cavalera, Paul Bostaph, Richard Christy, Gene Hoglan, etc.... Lars is one of the choices? And what the fuck is a Bullet for my Valentine?
25.03.2011 - 22:15
Yasmine

Written by TrollandDie on 03.03.2011 at 00:33

Sean Reinert-Death/Cynic and Tom Hunting of Exodus are usually my favourites.

Kollias and Reinert, love Cynic and Death.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
28.03.2011 - 15:46
Night Sight

I voted fro other
dave lombardo is best for sure
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
28.03.2011 - 16:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Flo Mournier = God
Brann Dailor = God

... fuck the others
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.05.2011 - 15:27
king_matt

Dave Lombardo of Slayer or Gene Hoglan of Death and Testament.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
13.05.2011 - 20:05
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by king_matt on 13.05.2011 at 15:27

Dave Lombardo of Slayer or Gene Hoglan of Death and Testament.

Testament? He just was in 1997 with the album "Demonic" (one of the worst), nothing more. I would said better: Death and Strapping Young Lad, and now Fear Factory!! yeah =)
13.05.2011 - 20:24
Yasmine

Yea, Gene is pretty beast, Dave though.......lol Arsis has some pretty bitchin' drum work too.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
02.01.2012 - 01:19
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I would say Dave Lombardo of Slayer.
02.01.2012 - 02:14
NLthrasher

For me it is by far Neil Peart of Rush
Second would be Dave Lombardo i think.
02.01.2012 - 05:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Neil pert.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.05.2013 - 15:14
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
My modern day fav is Jason Bittner.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.05.2013 - 21:12
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm gonna go with Gene Hoglan. Rob Reiner of Anvil, Brann Dailor, Mickey Dee, Tomas Haake of Meshuggah, Mike Magini, Hellhammer, Rick Allen of Def Leppard, Neil Peart, Joey Jordison, and I really like Reidar "Horgh" Horghagen's work with Immortal.
29.05.2013 - 13:27
Night Theater

Neil Peart. I don't know why those drummers are even on the list.
01.08.2013 - 14:22
Lethrokai

It'll have to be Neil Peart for me.

Sure, Rush isn't generally considered "metal" now, but they have a lot of work that could classify as metal.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.08.2013 - 19:55
DyingWorld

Pete Sandoval, Neil Peart, Bill Ward, Dave Lombardo, John Bonham, Kim Ruzz and Gene Hoglan.
02.08.2013 - 06:51
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
>Joey Jordison - Slipknot

My vote goes the Flo Mournier of Cryptopsy
02.08.2013 - 18:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.08.2013 at 06:51

even hough I find Slipknot to be cap Joey Jordison is a great overall drummer and one of the best around. It is not without reason he drummed for Slayer, Metallica and Satyricon a couple of times live as substitute.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2013 - 23:28
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2013 at 18:38

even hough I find Slipknot to be cap Joey Jordison is a great overall drummer and one of the best around. It is not without reason he drummed for Slayer, Metallica and Satyricon a couple of times live as substitute.

Oh but i am not denying his skills. I even love Slipknot, it's just I don't see why put him in this list. Kinda like that drummer from BFMV.
01.09.2013 - 23:49
sidman52

For me its Tommy lee Shannon Larkin, Dave Lombardo,Jason Bittner. R.I.P. Randy Castillo are cool the list could on
02.09.2013 - 05:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 02.08.2013 at 23:28
Oh but i am not denying his skills. I even love Slipknot, it's just I don't see why put him in this list. Kinda like that drummer from BFMV.

Why shouldn't he be on the list though? I can't think of any legitimate reason why he shouldn't be...
02.09.2013 - 09:27
Daniell
_爱情_

Anyone with a shred of clue about drumming will know that Joey Jordison is a great drummer. You've probably never heard more than one song by SLipknot. Or you have no clue about what drumming is.

Also, that poll list in the first post is ridiculous. More than a half of these drummers have never been in the vicinity of great. Dirk Verbeuren, Lars Ulrich, Fredrik Andersson, Michael Thomas, John Boecklin. Seriously? Those are here and Dave Lombardo isn't?

By the way, Lars Ulrich is the one drummer who has become worse and worse over the years. His drumming on And Justice for All was excellent. Now compare it to his drumming on Death Magnetic... Or watch a live version of Dyers' Eve recorded in the recent years. Where's double bass??? Pathetic...

02.09.2013 - 13:01
FOOCK Nam

Look at the drumset..

Most metal drum I can feel its good is metallica master of puppet album, most song drums so good especially song disposable heroes, you even can feel drum music in..

I can see how impressiom it is when looking joey jordison drum set, very gigantic.

Lars performing good show with drum both visionally, and skillfully.

But yeah the jordison drum set is so hugeee...
02.09.2013 - 20:47
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 02.09.2013 at 09:27

Anyone with a shred of clue about drumming will know that Joey Jordison is a great drummer. You've probably never heard more than one song by SLipknot. Or you have no clue about what drumming is.

Nono, you dont get it, I laughed cause he was in the choices. I know he's a great drummer and I even like Slipknot.
03.09.2013 - 06:26
psykometal
A staff guy...
No "great drummer list" is complete without the likes of Derek Roddy, Tony Laureano, and Hellhammer... tsk tsk
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

14.11.2014 - 22:39
_deepblack

Where is Tomas Haake of Meshuggah or Martin Lopez of Opeth or Gavin Harrison Or Brann Dailor of Mastodon this list is lacong so many Drummers and beside all of these My all time favorite Drummer is Danny Carey of Tool for sure
15.11.2014 - 08:04
Ganondox

Needs more Brann Dailor of Mastodon. List doesn't even have the Atomic Clock. Why is Lars on it though?
27.11.2014 - 21:05
krrrrebets
Account deleted
Written by Ganondox on 15.11.2014 at 08:04

Needs more Brann Dailor of Mastodon. List doesn't even have the Atomic Clock. Why is Lars on it though?

I wonder why has Lars got 13 votes. I mean he's ok on Lightning and Puppets and even a little better on AJFA but other stuff isn't really any good. Far from the best overall .

But yeah, hard to point out anyone really. Kollias, Lombardo and McBrain perhaps. But there sure are hell of a lot more.