06. The Devil Walks Proud
07. Hate This Town
08. The Boys From The East
09. Doomsday Rider
10. Lets Hear It
11. Sharp Dressed Man [ZZ Top cover]
12. Bad Broad (Good Girl Gone Bad)
13. Raise Your Flag

Do you like the Ace of Spades? Of course you do. Who doesn't? Well then you'll love Chrome Division's newest offering, "Booze, Broads and Beelzebub," which seems to take the Rock & Roll of Motorhead and amplifies the sound and applies it to every song. This may seem a bit monotonous (unless you're one of those people who can listen to "Ace of Spades" 20 times in a row), but Chrome Division just manages to keep the formula fresh through each song while keeping the quality mostly consistent.

Over the last two years, Chrome Division has seemed to hone everything that was good about the previous album and employed what was good about every song. Admittedly there are no songs as instantly catchy as "Serial Killer" from the previous album, but this album makes up for not having a flagship song with a lot of songs which are both heavy and rockin' at various tempos, as well as maintaining interesting riffs. That brings up another interesting point of the album: the production.

The production in this album is as good as it gets, most notably the track placement. The album seems to be one of the first I've listened to which manages to avoid becoming monotonous by spacing the high energy songs from each other. Rather than allowing the album to slide from fast to slow, both types of songs are peppered throughout the album and seem to be perfectly spaced as one type of song doesn't get over played. Just as the repetitiveness of the faster types of songs is about to set in, one of the slower numbers takes hold, usually followed by another rampaging trek of subjects pertaining to the album title. Not to say that the slower songs are by any means breaks from the "good" ones. While the faster songs have some great riffs and could be considered almost as good as the best of Motorhead, the slower songs seem to actually have more interesting riffs, often showing a very strong blues influence.

Of course this album is far from perfect. The lyrics aren't necessarily bad but don't exactly fit under the category of great, either. Most of the songs are about (as described in the title) booze, broads, Beelzebub and various forms of bad assery. The cover of ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" is, despite being faster and meaner, lacking in the style and finesse the original had, and honestly, seems a bit contrived. (But Chrome Division covering ZZ Top does seems like a shoe-in if you think of it.) The last track, too, is a little bland. It seemed like they were trying to do a going away, kind of anthem song like Metallica's "Damage Inc" but ends up just being a bit bland.

Written by Paradox0 | 14.10.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 65 users
14.10.2008 - 01:52
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
good review.
haven't heard the album yet, but the review makes me want to hear it out of curiosity.
15.10.2008 - 19:17
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Damn, someone beat me to the review.

Naturally I really liked this album. Objectively that is the appropriate rating, but personally its one of my favorite releases of 2008.
Yeah, its definitely not the most intelligent album by any measure, but man this album is the epitome of rock n roll for me. Though I do agree this whole badassery thing does seem a little contrived, but I thought the ZZ Top Cover was awesome. I disagree with your point about the final track though, I found it very anthem like and I thought it was a good way to close the album, it made me want to start the whole thing over again. The only song I didn't like was 'Bad Broad (Good Girl Gone Bad)' that one seemed like it lacked the climax the other songs had. This album single handedly convinced me I need to get a chopper.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.10.2008 - 23:11
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Doc G. on 15.10.2008 at 19:17

Damn, someone beat me to the review.

Naturally I really liked this album. Objectively that is the appropriate rating, but personally its one of my favorite releases of 2008.
Yeah, its definitely not the most intelligent album by any measure, but man this album is the epitome of rock n roll for me. Though I do agree this whole badassery thing does seem a little contrived, but I thought the ZZ Top Cover was awesome. I disagree with your point about the final track though, I found it very anthem like and I thought it was a good way to close the album, it made me want to start the whole thing over again. The only song I didn't like was 'Bad Broad (Good Girl Gone Bad)' that one seemed like it lacked the climax the other songs had. This album single handedly convinced me I need to get a chopper.

Well feel free to make your own review. Actually After listening to it a bit I probably could raise the rating a bit higher, Maybe something closer to a 9 (although not quite a 9, maybe an 8.7). Still a great album IMO.
15.10.2008 - 23:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Paradox0 on 15.10.2008 at 23:11

Well feel free to make your own review. Actually After listening to it a bit I probably could raise the rating a bit higher, Maybe something closer to a 9 (although not quite a 9, maybe an 8.7). Still a great album IMO.

Nah, I prefer not writing review for albums that already have one, besides, it would have been more or less similar to yours. That and it would be hard for me to rate objectively, I would give it a 9.2 just because just listening to this album is fun, but from an objective level its dumb, simple, cheesy, cliche and contrived, I'm just really biased with this one I guess.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 3967 | This month: 3