02. Three-Dimensional Defect
03. Lying And Weak
04. Sensual Sickness
05. Calling
06. The Negation
07. Long-Desired Dementia
08. The Empty Throne
09. Lunatic Of God's Creation [Deicide cover] [bonus]

I bought this album earlier this year while loafing around the mall and trying to look cool in my metal attire, consisting of a bad ass t-shirt and my Adidas shoes. I went into Sam Goody not expecting much but they actually have an alright selection. I had received a gift card from my sister for the holiday and decided to use it. After looking around I found Decapitated's "The Negation" sitting on the shelf all alone so I thought I would give the bugger a home and bought it.

Now, being a big fan of Polish Extreme Metal, I was predisposed to liking Decapitated no matter what. I wouldn't call it a bias but it seems that every Polish band I listen to I really enjoy. It must just be some occult connection I have with them. Over time, however, while still loving the album, I have come to judge it as it is.

The album starts off with "The Fury." It starts with about 20 seconds of feedback/ambience that leads into a pretty sweet riff that goes on until the forty second mark which leads into another riff; at the 57 second mark Sauron's trademark vocals come into the mix. While they must not be the most original vocals they are definitely some of the sickest and most well executed. A really sweet riff enters in at 1:35, a decent solo at around 1:50, and again at about 3:20. The song never really loses steam. It chugs along without getting too redundant. Plenty of headbangable riffing in this one. Next is "Three-Dimensional Defect" which I enjoy a lot, especially since they played it when I saw them live. It has some great drum work and riffing throughout, and a killer bass insert at around 2:38 which jumps back into the main riff. After that is 'Lying and Weak' which starts with a killer thrash riff that should haven't of been deviated from. The song finishes out strong though.

Now, I could go on about the rest of the songs, but that is the biggest flaw of the album. A lot of the album's songs, if not all, sound a lot alike. This, however, can go two ways because 1) the songs contain excellent musicianship and are quite catchy, but 2) no one ever wants to listen to the same song over and over again. Also, towards the end of the album the songs seem to drag on bit and though I love Decapitated and greatly respect them, I sometimes find myself wanting the songs to be over.

Don't get me wrong however, this album is a fun listen and all of the songs are a hoot live, but sometimes it can become redundant. I find myself swaying back and forth with this album between great and just good. After further listening, it sways towards good for now. Maybe sometime in the future I will rediscover what I once felt in this album. I am still impressed by the technical ability of men so young and enjoy listening to it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Clintagräm | 09.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 118 users
29.06.2006 - 20:55
Emperor Sidious
Account deleted
pretty impressive album..Tho i prefer to listen to Nihility more often.
25.01.2007 - 21:52
Rating: 7
Sunioj

Ah, Im not going to complain about the score there is two songs on there that I dont really listen to at all, the rest of the album is pure headbanging pleasure.
14.02.2007 - 17:14
Rating: 8
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Good album, think I over listened to it when first getting it though. Doesn't have the same 'kick' it had back then, still a good album and a pretty spot on rating IMO.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
14.02.2007 - 21:26
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Weird...I swear I had commented already. hmm

Anyways, this might be my favorite Decapitated album. This album has my favorite Decapitated song, Three-Dimensional Defect, and it is a fairly consistent album, with exception to one song and the really annoying "instrumental". When I first received this cd, I read on the back that they feature an instrumental, and when I heard the 40 second (or so) ambient filler noise, I was very disappointed.

I'd give it an 8.4 or so.
01.11.2007 - 20:45
Rating: 7
Lord TJ

I found this album to be very boring, most songs are in the same key. The song I love is The Fury, I think its a perfect moshing song.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
17.08.2008 - 06:01
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
not their best work, i prefer ''Winds of Creation''.. but its still another descent work from Polish Death Metal scene.
Vocals seems more ''Behemoth like'', reminds me of Nergal... very nice
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.08.2008 - 22:23
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I am a Decapitated fan, they were the first death metal band i got into and i like this album quite much although i'll have to say it's their weakest to me. Some songs are incredible and others are just okay, i would have gave this one an 8.2 or something.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
23.06.2009 - 22:08
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Another awesome album,but surely i would rate it higher than 7.8
21.11.2009 - 03:54
Rating: 8
wormdrink414

"The Empty Throne" is probably my favorite Decapitated song.
23.09.2018 - 14:03
Rating: 10
Mordok

Negation is their BEST album. Hard, fast, great riffs, brutal vocals, and this albums grooves so much - amazing. One of the best death metal albums ever!!!
Unfortunately, their new albums cannot compete with Negation and also not with their earlier works. I have a feeling that they are not so are anymore as before and for sure they do not groove anymore!
23.09.2018 - 14:05
Rating: 10
Mordok

I have a feeling that they are not so hard anymore as before and for sure they do not groove anymore!

Hits total: 8548 | This month: 6