03. Consuming Misery
04. Wrath Of Vishnu
05. Finite
06. The Appalling
07. Void
08. Ubiquitous
09. The Beyond Within
10. Antithesis

These days, it is highly obvious that the death metal scene we all love is evolving, due to a highly practiced subgenre where bands are just bursting out their technical skills. Well, this is so called technical death metal. Although there was always one main goal in death metal, being to deliver sheer intensity and relentless music to which some bands fail at because they're to concentrated on the complexity of their writing, that could be good or bad, but here stands a band named Origin who can deliver the chops and play brutal, fast, eardrum blasting metal all at the same time and that's what we all need when it comes to death metal am I wrong?

So, here's the quintet, having released their fourth studio album Antithesis, a very pleasant experience, but oh so brutal. Once again, Origin proves us that they're inhumanly talented with their instruments, offering wicked guitar sweeps, unusual and incredible bass lines and the drumming is at high speed with alot of blastbeats and great execution. The vocals of James aren't any different which i would say that it's the only thing that doesn't stand out in this band, but after all they fit perfectly with the music.

Back to the album, Antithesis has a great cover art (it might remind some of the movie Alien) and fits perfectly with the music that they're playing. If fans were impressed by Echoes of Decimation, then they can't go wrong with the new record, continuing their brutal complex playing at light speed, but this time with even better songs. The listener will find so many great riffs and passages in most of the songs, the monstrous lead passage in The Aftermath, the exotic lead in Wrath of Vishnu, the unforgettable riffs in Finite, etc. Another song that deserves alot of recognition is the 10 minute long Antithesis. Clearly the band has surpassed themselves on that piece of work, offering catchy hooks all over the place, hell, you can even find some black metal near the end.

All the hype about this album isn't for nothing, if you're a death metal fan and looking for something that is a step higher then you have the answer right here. Origin is indeed brutal and technical, but their music is also very refreshing, they're able to write music that is at a whole other level without overdoing it as in useless guitar flashing. Antithesis will surely be among the top death metal albums of the year, this work is a complete proof of perseverance. Now please just go buy this album and praise it, you can headbang to it if you're fast enough to keep up with the music, a sore neck at the end is highly possible.

Highlights: The Aftermath, Wrath of Vishnu, Finite, Ubiquitous, Antithesis

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Visioneerie | 25.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
Have you ever ordered a cheeseburger, let's say..at Burger King... and right when you were adding the jalapeños (you know? after the first bite) you realize the cheeseburger is actually a regular burger? yes! without cheese!! Obviously you already had a little bite, so you can't return it of course, you then take a seat and while being a little depressed you say, - "well, it's not so bad I guess, many people don't like cheese in the first place...those lactose intolerant guys right? meh... I wanted a cheeseburger!...oh well, what can I do, I'll try to enjoy this or something" you then finish your meal and leave the place unhappy but with a full belly none the less...

Read more ››
published 02.07.2008 | Comments (17)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 109 users
14.10.2008 - 23:43
Rating: 9
XAV_METALOGIST

OOOOh Damn Great review ... Origin Is A Great Evolving Band In Technical ... Your Highlights Are The Same Than Me ... I Didnt Know This Band Before This Great Album .... This Is The Greatest Review Of MS Ever Keep It Up .. my greatest song for sure is Aftermath this is just amazing These Guys Look In The Future
15.10.2008 - 23:41
Rating: 8
Sunioj

Yeah, this band definitely is good at bringing the smack down while being inhumanely technical. And the music is damn catchy too... the production is perfect... everything except for the vocalist but that isn't a bad thing really he fits in. The bassist is just mad, it seems like he's playing the thing like a spanish guitar... Probably one of my favorite (if not my favorite) DM album of this year...
04.12.2008 - 11:01
Rating: 10
Tron

Superb album
----
After each game, the king and the jester go in the same box.
08.08.2009 - 21:43
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is quickly becoming my favorite Origin album. The best part of the album is in the middle of Ubiquitous when the song stops for a couple of seconds, and then you hear a super high scream and the music starts blasting again. Antithesis is probably my favorite song, and one of the best songs they've ever written. The guitar solo and drumming at the end is the perfect way to close this album.

Fuck I wish I brought this album with me to work today!

Hits total: 5462 | This month: 6