Metal Storm logo
Grip Inc. - Vocalist Found Dead At Age 52

Gus Chambers, former vocalist of German metal band Squealer and Dave Lombardo's groove metal side project Grip Inc., has passed away last Monday, on the 13th of October, at the age of 52. Gus Chambers, who nowadays lived in Coventry, England, reportedly took his own life.

The Coventry Telegraph reports that, one of the city's much-loved and popular musicians, Gus Chambers, died last weekend. Gus Chambers was a natural born rocker.

He took over lead vocals from Terry Hall in the punk band Squad in the late 70s, and fronted the band through their finest moments. But his punk-crazed stage antics were quite opposite to the real man - Gus was a thinker, and a great believer in fairness and racial equality, though to some, he was just a punk.

When the final embers of the punk revolution faded away, Gus took his skills as a top notch front-man to the new band 21 Guns. They released the single Ambition Rock on Neville Staples's Shack Records.

Gus later moved to America and formed Sons Of Damnation, finally joining the no messing high-energy metal band Grip Inc. They were formed by former Slayer drum-king Dave Lombardo. They released three brooding albums in the mid to late 90s - "Power Of Inner Strength", "Nemesis", and "Solidify" - and finally came back with a fourth entitled "Incorporated" in 2004, which was greeted as a true return to form by the critics.

Of late, Gus was part of the sonically-superb Mantra Sect. "I've been very lucky in my career," said Gus. "I have had the privilege of playing in front of thousands of people at festivals like Rock in Rio and the Dynamo Festival in Holland. Nothing though brings back fonder memories than playing in front of maybe 20 or 30 people in The Hand and Heart or the back room of The Swanswell."

Coventry Telegraph concludes: "The line, "He'll be greatly missed", is forever trotted out on these occasions; this time it's totally fitting, and judging by the unprecedented number of people who phoned me to tell me the tragic news, this is one great Cov rocker who will never be forgotten and God forbid, ever be replaced."

A few more reactions to Chamber's death can be read here.

Source: coventrytelegraph.net
Band profile: Grip Inc.
Posted: 18.10.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   Visited by: 237 users
18.10.2008 - 20:37
tiimmmmmyyy

Damn that sucks. I liked Grip Inc.
----
-Tim
18.10.2008 - 22:42
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
52 is too young, rest in peace.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.10.2008 - 23:06
bodomroy

RIP. i like his performance in grip inc.
18.10.2008 - 23:24
parallax

52? How'd he die? That's so young, sad.
19.10.2008 - 00:15
Monkey666

19.10.2008 - 00:50
    dangermx

Without words

Rest in peace
    ----
    Beyond the realms of death
    19.10.2008 - 00:51
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Written by parallax on 18.10.2008 at 23:24

52? How'd he die?

Apparently suicide.
    It says "took his own life"
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2008 - 08:00
    Timelord

His performance on "Nemesis" was outstanding. Don't know why you did it. Hope you are rockin wherever you are!! RIP
    19.10.2008 - 11:35
    Leonidas

May God rest his soul...He was a great musician....
    19.10.2008 - 13:50
    Passenger
    Lost To Apathy
    He was a great vocalist. RIP
    ----
    You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
    19.10.2008 - 16:56
    brapp32

Anyone that kills themselves is a Jerkoff. Fuck all that rest in peace shit. I feel bad for the people that cared about him.
    19.10.2008 - 17:40
    Darkside Momo
    Retired
    ^ Fuck that.

Sad news indeed, I really liked his singing. Powerful, agressive, and really emotional. Rest in peace, you will be missed.
    ----
    My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
    I'm stealing back my soul
    I am awake"
    19.10.2008 - 18:48
    sackz
    Account deleted
    Man, he was alot older than i thought.I loved his work with grip,rip.
    20.10.2008 - 01:44
    Urizen367

Rest in peace, mate. we're gonna miss ya
    ----
    I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
    20.10.2008 - 09:44
    Thrash666

I have never been a big fan of Grip Inc. but Gus was an amazing muisican and i have full respect for him and for everything he has done. Big lost to the metal world.

R.I.P. Gus
    ----
    LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
    R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
    Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
    20.10.2008 - 09:58
    hefestus

R.I.P. Gus
    21.10.2008 - 09:48
    -Morbid-

Damn, I hate seeing this kinda news.

RIP Gus.