02. Arm Yourself
03. Vile
04. The Darkest Hour
05. Upon The Raging Storm
06. Majesty
07. The Beauty Of This Form
08. Last Pain
09. Automne

Fans of any northern bands that stemmed from Children of Bodom fame [you know Ensiferum, Wintersun, Kalmah, Norther], here is another "extreme power with folk influence" offering. Only this time, Finland has nothing to do with it, as it comes from the Canadian winter land. Profugus Mortis is as promising as any of the aforementioned bands were at some point in their career.

Relying a lot on folk influences represented by a full-time violin member in the person of Émilie Livernois-Desroches, the Montreal musicians are doing more than fine. Driven by enthralling keyboard melodies and an unyielding rhythm section, the band is displaying impressive skills.

The singing of vocalist Paul Ablaze is reminiscent of Alexi Lahio most of the time while the music oscillates between Haggard and Ensiferum. The omnipresent violin is a unique element of Profugus Mortis' music and gives this album an edge over the competition. They do have something else atypical, a great female drummer by the name of Justine Éthier. As in any great extreme power band, you need a solid guitar player, and Terry Deschenes is filling in this role effortlessly.

I was also quite impressed by the artwork of ?So It Begins, which is as deserving as more famous albums out there. The very active Jean-François Dagenais [from Kataklysm fame] is once more behind a solid production.

Some tracks are bringing more elements to the mix and taken as a whole ?So It Begins has the right modus operandi. If you like anything coming out of Finland labeled as "extreme power", or even a band like "Haggard" [minus the operatic singing], give those guys a serious try. Check out their MySpace, this should give you a good idea.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 08.09.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 81 users
19.10.2008 - 16:19
Rating: 10
Ruido Menor

Show !!!
24.10.2008 - 23:01
Rating: 6
Arcesse Eum

I've seen them live quite a few times... high energy, great performance, but their album work is a little boring to me.
----
As above, so below.
25.10.2008 - 02:00
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Ignore the terrible vocals and this band is really good!
----
27.10.2008 - 02:47
Rating: 9
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Great debut, has a few flaws, but still very good on the whole. I love Paul Ablaze's voice, though it certainly could help some improvement for low-pitched growls. But the violin and drums make for that!
Saw them live and I was quite disappointed by the violinist's abence...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
25.11.2008 - 22:24
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Shall check this out as they are currently scheduled for Paganfest 2 under the moniker Blackguard...
glad to hear they are good live!
07.12.2008 - 22:15
opeth771

Check their msyapce... The new songs are nice!
18.04.2009 - 14:32
Lord_Regnier

This album is good. Not outstanding or even great, but good.

Much more interesting than the generic Pagan Metal this band is doing now.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 4589 | This month: 9