Metal Storm logo
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 30.06.2006 - 03:13
Have anyone seen this documentry about metal music? I saw it on TV it was really good. An anthrpologist guy named Sam Dunn travels all around the world to interview metal music artists from USA to Norway and some other places i guess and makes a deep analysis about metal music. Basicly he simply breaks down the subject real easily that it even catches a non-metal person or a metal hater stereotype. You should check it out. I also need info about how and where to download it urgently. Anyone?
14.10.2008 - 12:47
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Would be cool to actually have a follow-up on the movie. 75% of it was about the origins of metal or old-school bands which I really dont give a fuck about (Dio, Motley Crue, Alice Cooper) and I would like to see more interviews with a larger variety of less generic bands. Interviews with Mayhem, Cannibal Corpse and Slayer are a bit predictable, yet probably fitting - still lame though....perhaps more obscure bands or interviews with more bands of different sub genres. Id find that much more appealing.

It only got really interesting when they were talking to the blackmetal bands, would love to see a follow up going into Viking Metal and their belief system and influence on metal. The clip with Enslaved was too short and sort of meaningless.
26.01.2009 - 19:57
Hamird
Lieutenant
I recently watched the sequence to A Headbanger's Journey, Global Metal.. I think Global Metal is much better than the first one. A Headbanger's Journey was a little poser-like movie.. But Global Metal at least is a good work to show reaction of cultures to Metal.. I like the part in Israel and Indonesia.. And of course I liked interviews with my favorite, Kobi Farhi. He's as great as his performance..
26.01.2009 - 20:09
Ragana
Rawrcat
I've seen "Global Metal" few times and by now I can't remember what was in the first movie. But I really enjoyed the second movie, I think other cultures are more interesting. And yes, they even showed a part from Orphaned Land's concert which was really great. Also there was an interesting Japanese band too, called Sigh - I heard them for the first time, and yet, they're very good.
What else... oh, I can remember that one guy from Iran which was in the picture of him and a writing on the wall... was it saying "Slayer"? Can't remember.
And there was Demonic Resurrection's song too. That's all I can remember. Well, I think Sam went to Wacken and something was going on there... but that's really all.

There could be more movies like these. Entertaining and interesting.
26.01.2009 - 20:36
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Ragana on 26.01.2009 at 20:09

I've seen "Global Metal" few times and by now I can't remember what was in the first movie. But I really enjoyed the second movie, I think other cultures are more interesting. And yes, they even showed a part from Orphaned Land's concert which was really great. Also there was an interesting Japanese band too, called Sigh - I heard them for the first time, and yet, they're very good.
What else... oh, I can remember that one guy from Iran which was in the picture of him and a writing on the wall... was it saying "Slayer"? Can't remember.
And there was Demonic Resurrection's song too. That's all I can remember. Well, I think Sam went to Wacken and something was going on there... but that's really all.

There could be more movies like these. Entertaining and interesting.

Sigh is one of the greatest black metal bands in history. Nearly every one of their albums is a masterpiece in it's own right.

I thought Global Metal was ok. A Headbangers Journey ranged from mediocre to bad though. I guess you can't succeed every time, eh?
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
31.01.2009 - 19:05
Ascendant187
I think the first one was funnier, simply for the Gaahl and Mayhem moments. My girl and I will randomly start yelling "Who the fuck are they?! Fuck them! You know!"

I've got Global Metal on DVD but I'd need to watch it again in order to remember it/really take it in. From what I saw it was interesting though.
31.01.2009 - 21:06
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Hmm I should check out this Global Metal thing Ive never heard of it. How is it different from AHJ? Which bands feature? For the most part I feel that they hounded on the old bands for too long....sure enough people wanna know about it but going through all those old cronies gets tedious - everyone knows who Ronnie J Dio and Bruce Dickinson is ffs
31.01.2009 - 21:14
Ragana
Rawrcat
Well, you see - "Global Metal" contains an interesting information about metal music all over the world, not only UK, USA or Scandinavia.
31.01.2009 - 21:27
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 31.01.2009 at 21:14

Well, you see - "Global Metal" contains an interesting information about metal music all over the world, not only UK, USA or Scandinavia.

Ahh awesome, found some clips on youtube hehe Do they come to Africa at all?
31.01.2009 - 21:49
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 31.01.2009 at 21:27

Written by Ragana on 31.01.2009 at 21:14

Ahh awesome, found some clips on youtube hehe Do they come to Africa at all?

In Global Metal, they hadn't come to Africa.. They came to Japan, China and some other Eastern Asian countries, India, Dubai (UAE) and Israel..
31.01.2009 - 21:53
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ahhh thats a shame....probably too scared of the crime or that he'd get raped in some alley haha
31.01.2009 - 22:06
Ragana
Rawrcat
Yeah, true, I forgot about Africa.
Maybe there will be the third movie - about Africa. But seriously, at least I don't know any band from Africa, hm.
01.02.2009 - 08:07
Ascendant187
They also travel to Bali, Indonesia... I think. It's definitely an interesting look into how metal has been taken in by other nations/cultures and how 'true' it stays to the original ideals while also taking on new meaning.
02.05.2009 - 03:29
ToMegaTherion
This is a really good documentary, and certainly it is the best attempt by anyone to date to make a mainstream objective look into the metal genre of music. The documentary is well researched and well traveled. I actually have this documentary to that for introducing me to Blue Cheer who have become my favorite 60's band. They were awesome.
02.05.2009 - 06:44
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
THe documentary is really good my only problem with it is that the guy writing/directing/making the thing tries to make himself sound like "metalhead supreme". He's got great contacts but with all the "aside commentary" he gives from growing up listening to metal he starts to get a bit into himself for it.

It's good stuff to watch , I suggest it as a good must see.
----
07.05.2009 - 02:59
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
After watching and re-watching both films (yes, I do own both) I came to the following conclusions about them.

Headbanger's Journey
  • The only two types of Metal: IRON MAIDEN!!!! and Extreme Metal
  • To be a Metal band you must be anti-Christian
  • Children of Bodom can heal cancer

Global Metal
  • There are different countries around the world
  • They all develop Death Metal
  • IRON MAIDEN!!!!
----
(space for rent)
07.05.2009 - 03:15
necrovamp
Written by Dane Train on 07.05.2009 at 02:59

After watching and re-watching both films (yes, I do own both) I came to the following conclusions about them.

Headbanger's Journey

Global Metal
  • IRON MAIDEN!!!!

yeah he does bang on about iron maiden, he should be happy now though, hs just done flight 666.

i enjoyed a headbangers journey, though more stuff on the viking, black metal scene would be good, maybe he should go and do one about this scene, its histroy and current situation etc.

ill have to keep an eye out for global metal.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
07.05.2009 - 03:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by necrovamp on 07.05.2009 at 03:15

yeah he does bang on about iron maiden, he should be happy now though, hs just done flight 666.

i enjoyed a headbangers journey, though more stuff on the viking, black metal scene would be good, maybe he should go and do one about this scene, its histroy and current situation etc.

The bonus disk for Headbanger's Journey has a short documentary on Black Metal. It was pretty good. There were many Metal genres and scenes that he didn't touch on that I would have loved to seen more about like Progressive Metal, Metalcore, and even the Christian Metal scene.
----
(space for rent)
07.05.2009 - 04:15
necrovamp
Written by Dane Train on 07.05.2009 at 03:38

Written by necrovamp on 07.05.2009 at 03:15

The bonus disk for Headbanger's Journey has a short documentary on Black Metal. It was pretty good. There were many Metal genres and scenes that he didn't touch on that I would have loved to seen more about like Progressive Metal, Metalcore, and even the Christian Metal scene.

theres a bonus disk? hmm serves me right for getting the cheap ass version lol.

A documentary on christian metal would be good, showing the problems bands face from both the metal world and their own christian world.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
07.05.2009 - 04:26
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by necrovamp on 07.05.2009 at 04:15
theres a bonus disk? hmm serves me right for getting the cheap ass version lol.

Haha, yeah, there is a whole second disk with some really good material.

Written by necrovamp on 07.05.2009 at 04:15

A documentary on christian metal would be good, showing the problems bands face from both the metal world and their own christian world.

There is a documentary on Unblack Metal, Light in Darkness - Nemesis Divina but not on the whole history of Christian Metal. I am currently working on a paper about Christian Metal, and hope to have it done one day.
----
(space for rent)
07.05.2009 - 05:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 07.05.2009 at 02:59

Headbanger's Journey

Global Metal
  • IRON MAIDEN!!!!

Yeah I'll agree 100%. Its a movie best not re-watched too much. There was a lot of magic for me when I first watched the first one. Every time I watch it I have more and more issues with it popping up in my mind.

Global Metal was a huge leap forward I think. The first one was nice because its probably the most accurate metal documentary I have seen, but throughout the whole I thing I kept thinking "yeah, knew that already", despite having some neat interviews. Global Metal I actually learnt a few things. I forget his purpose behind that one, but I know I heard some new interesting bands from that one I didn't know already. And I enjoyed when he put Lars Ulrich on the spot.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.05.2009 - 23:56
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
I have put up a review on this documentary. Come check it out. i will warn alot don't agree but for me it's just my perspective. i am not here to make it look like shit, I am just pointing out it's errors.
25.05.2009 - 00:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.05.2009 at 23:56

I have put up a review on this documentary. Come check it out. i will warn alot don't agree but for me it's just my perspective. i am not here to make it look like shit, I am just pointing out it's errors.

Actually, you really didn't. I could explain why again, but I think the flood of criticisms found under the actual review itself would be better than having me retype everything here.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.05.2009 - 02:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 24.05.2009 at 23:56

You didn't point out any errors at all. All you did was say you didn't like it, but sorry, no errors in the docu were pinted out. And of course that would have been mpossible cause the documentary doesn't contain any errors at all (except in the extra stuff when it oncenrs the metal tree)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2009 - 03:20
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2009 at 02:16

You didn't point out any errors at all. All you did was say you didn't like it, but sorry, no errors in the docu were pinted out. And of course that would have been mpossible cause the documentary doesn't contain any errors at all (except in the extra stuff when it oncenrs the metal tree)

And the miscalculating of Metal bands on the Filthy 15.
----
(space for rent)
28.03.2013 - 17:33
Jtbmetal123
Yeah, that's a great documentary man. He has shows on it too. He breaks down the bands and genres of music and goes deep. Very interesting documentary.
30.03.2013 - 18:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.03.2013 at 17:33

Yeah, that's a great documentary man. He has shows on it too. He breaks down the bands and genres of music and goes deep. Very interesting documentary.

deep, well my finger can go deeper in asshole , than he went into this
mainstreem band sin metal othing more and many genrese is missing ... doom well even ms spamers (like me ) can go deeper in genres
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.03.2013 - 16:20
Jtbmetal123
Written by Bad English on 30.03.2013 at 18:41

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.03.2013 at 17:33

deep, well my finger can go deeper in asshole , than he went into this
mainstreem band sin metal othing more and many genrese is missing ... doom well even ms spamers (like me ) can go deeper in genres

hahahaha