03. Brave New World
04. Blood Brothers
05. The Mercenary
06. Dream Of Mirrors
07. The Fallen Angel
08. The Nomad
09. Out Of The Silent Planet
10. The Thin Line Between Love & Hate

I bought Iron Maiden's newest cd used in fear that I wouldn't like it. It even took some further contemplation of whether I was going to lay down $4.99 for it. (Yes, I am picky and cheap.) Anyway, all my doubts and fears were destroyed after one listen to this album.

It may not be the exact same Maiden you're used to - some of it is a bit slower, but incredibly artistic. Bruce's voice is as fine-tuned as ever, and you just can't go wrong with three good guitarists. The sound is very melodic, as usual, and very easily gets stuck in your head. I've had "Blood Brothers" in my head for almost three months now. Most of the songs clock in over six minutes, and the entire cd is over an hour long. With Iron Maiden especially, the more the better. And the songs definitely do not disappoint, that is, unless you're one of the strict "new [enter band name here] sucks, I only like their older music" type people.

Thought-invoking lyrics are penned throughout the entire album. Take "The Fallen Angel" for example: "Beaten fallen angel but I've risen again - and the power is inside me, I've decided to pray - As I wait for Armageddon and it's coming my way - It's an honor to be chosen and I wait for the day." Hmm...

I think this is a must for any fan of metal in general, but only if you can appreciate the melodic side. If you are planning on becoming a fan, I think this is a good place to start. And if you're already a fan, you had better already own this.

Written by Bethany | 18.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 22   Visited by: 271 users
30.06.2006 - 03:16
Rating: 9
In_tallica

the PERFEKT come-back for bruce
this is definetly maiden's best album, couldn've been done better, all songs are perfekt!
01.07.2006 - 13:51
Damnated
Churchburner
This album was really great, back then when I liked Maiden. And I just loved this album. My fav song would be 'Brave New World' and although I just could not listen to this album again, I recommend it.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.07.2006 - 21:36
Jerk

What a great album. The guitar harmonies are just so nice. I haven't been able to find this in stores but I'll buy it as soon as I get the chance to. It's art.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
17.07.2006 - 16:56
Rating: 10
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I'll agree with In_Tallica... it's hard to say, but this albums is actuallly my favourite Maiden album. It maybe doesn't have the best songs, the best production, the coolest coverart, but it is so damn even! There is no bad song, it is just as complex as I like it and the production is 10/10, maybe worse than DOD but it doesn't matter. I could listen to this album over and over again. Of course I still like all the oldies but I'm not ashamed to say that I like this one more.
19.07.2006 - 03:23
Prowler84

Good comeback for Bruce , amazing melodies and harmonies , perfect production and full of long songs mostly in progressive style.The Album has a typical Iron Maiden sound nearly similar with the previous one "Virtual XI" but It's lyrically far better. If you want high musical quality and impressive melodies with some great guitarwork , you MUST GET THIS BRILLIANT ALBUM ! (though I do not think there are so many people who have never listened it yet )
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
15.08.2006 - 22:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the drums on wicker man tend to get annoying after a while.sure it's superb production but that snare is getting on my nerves(a bit like st. anger)
that being said,it's not actually a perfect record,but still worth a 9.generally i feel about the album the same i feel about the wicker man-overall really good song,but a few flaws here and there
29.08.2006 - 17:26
bravenewworld
Account deleted
a classic maiden album. 10/10 from me - it has got to be one of their best albums in years, possibly their best?!
22.11.2006 - 16:14
Talvi

This was my first Maiden album, and a good one to start. Recommended!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
22.11.2006 - 16:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i just realised: the mercenary sounds a lot like prowler(the vocal melody mainly)
but i stand by the comment i posted above
06.02.2008 - 22:55
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i get this album encouraged by claims "Brave New World is definitely better than Dance of Death" (my very favorite Maiden album), but i have to say for me it isn't...8 to this very nice album, but i still prefer Dance Of Death
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.02.2008 - 16:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Well, I'm surprised I hadnt posted here before because I love this album! I don't know but the songs are just stunning. Songs like "blood brothers" are very special to me. And "dream of mirrors" is delicious as far as guitar melody is concerned. Just to mention a few. The whole album has great melodies and the things we I like in Maiden: fabulous vocals, competent drumming, great solos and melodic riffs and interesting lyrics.

It's a very special album for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.02.2008 - 20:20
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
yes, Dream of Mirrors was memorable for me..but the rest was not, i have to say - quality music but with nothing special to offer to me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.07.2008 - 18:58
gerrard888
Account deleted
brucyyyy is back!!!!! in some style, perfect album 5 outstanding songs and 5 five great ones 10/10 the nomad out of this planet:maniac:
01.11.2008 - 06:31
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
The best songs are all in the second half of the album, from ''Dreams of Mirrors'' to on there is only exellent songs... in my opinion this album is only worse than Dance of Death in the Iron discography
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
28.11.2008 - 12:28
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Bruce is back at last, and what a way to come back this album is one of their best i love every song, a must have album 10/10
18.04.2009 - 14:39
Lord_Regnier

I find this album quite boring and definitely inferior to Maiden's classic stuff (from TNOTB to SSOASS).

A bit too proggy on some parts and not enough metal. Also, they still use the kind of boring intros Harris started to compose on "The X Factor".
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
22.11.2009 - 19:30
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I love this album...I especially love when Maiden puts out those 8-9 minute long songs, which this album has plenty of!
----
rekt
06.12.2009 - 21:41
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
A surprisingly good album. Sure it doesn't do anything daring or terribly unioque, but it still has that classic over the topness which Maiden does in their own way. Even if the album sounds aged (as far as their musicians go) I still feel its one of their better albums.
06.01.2010 - 18:18
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Very nice album and review, first time I bought its Cassette and I remember that how I loved it. now Im on it, very nostalgic, cant say which song but yes Blood Brothers is one of the best.
28.01.2010 - 04:36
thewall30

The album is just freaking amazing, def in my top Maiden albums, what a comeback for Bruce and what a big difference he makes!
----
19.12.2014 - 17:27
sam1oq

My favorite Maiden album by far. Beats all the 80s stuff. Absolutely love it.
02.01.2017 - 01:26
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wow this is aesome, maybe best after 80's at all and last one what can be good, a powerful album musically, lyrically what still kicks some part of the ass.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 14678 | This month: 31