Metal Storm logo
World Music

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 08:28
World music is awesome...it's amazing the diversity out there in all the different cultures of the world and all of the different instruments that are used...each country has such a diverse and unique cultural background...so, yea, what kind of world music bands come from your country? What type of music do they play? What instruments do they use? etc, etc, etc...
01.03.2008 - 03:39
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Personally, I would like some pop songs from the Slavic countries. I already have 'Bo we mnie jest sex' by Kalina Jedrusik - and I must say that I love the song very much - and was wondering if there were more songs like it. If anyone knows a place where I can download a few songs, please tell me.
12.04.2008 - 00:35
Black Winter

Written by Judas on 24.09.2007 at 06:12

For those of you who haven't heard it, Sufi Muslim devotional music, called 'qawwali', is really quite beautiful, with the most famous artist of recent years being the late Ustad ('Maestro' in Urdu) Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Hindi film music has been getting more and more like Western pop music of late, which is unfortunate, but the older songs are just brilliant, and even songs from newer films which are more classically based are nice as well.

I have considered Judas idea about this 'Sufi Music' and I found some very nice tracks,very simple and very touching,I liked 'Alan Faqir' who is I think an indian or pakistani artist,I also appreciated the punjabi,turkish,urdu and egyptian styles,I found on YouTube a very nice video song, it is an egyptian religious Sufi song called 'Madad'.
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
12.04.2008 - 03:36
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Black Winter on 12.04.2008 at 00:35

For those of you who haven't heard it, Sufi Muslim devotional music, called 'qawwali', is really quite beautiful, with the most famous artist of recent years being the late Ustad ('Maestro' in Urdu) Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Hindi film music has been getting more and more like Western pop music of late, which is unfortunate, but the older songs are just brilliant, and even songs from newer films which are more classically based are nice as well.

I have considered Judas idea about this 'Sufi Music' and I found some very nice tracks,very simple and very touching,I liked 'Alan Faqir' who is I think an indian or pakistani artist,I also appreciated the punjabi,turkish,urdu and egyptian styles,I found on YouTube a very nice video song, it is an egyptian religious Sufi song called 'Madad'.

Cool song! The clip is nice too, with the Mevlevi Dervishes and everything.

I've been listening to a fair amount of Algerian Raï of late, ever since our French teacher showed us a song in class at uni. It's pretty relaxing music, and infinitely better when not mixed with rap or Rn'B...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.04.2008 - 00:04
Black Winter

Written by Judas on 12.04.2008 at 03:36

Written by Black Winter on 12.04.2008 at 00:35

Cool song! The clip is nice too, with the Mevlevi Dervishes and everything.

I've been listening to a fair amount of Algerian Raï of late, ever since our French teacher showed us a song in class at uni. It's pretty relaxing music, and infinitely better when not mixed with rap or Rn'B...

I agree, Algeria,our neighbour is full of very nice forms of music, among them true original Rai, it is very popular in here but unfortunately that lately all of those artists are turning to a mixture with pop and rap music, I have a friend who is an ultimate fan of this music who gave me once this song called "bakhta" by a famous singer "cheb khaled" and it was really honest,simple and touching,the voice,the lyrics and everything
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
23.05.2011 - 21:27
0rpheus

Songs from the Victorious City by Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman
Arabian fusion
Give it a listen here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLF8F42452A524E451
----
I would prefer not to.
14.06.2011 - 03:01
fabregassed
Account deleted

I bought this CD back in 2006 when I was in holiday in Turkey. One of the best albums ever.
11.12.2012 - 17:07
Sammol

From the Philippines:

Bob Aves

Hints of jazz in some parts. He uses an Octavina (basically a 12-string guitar with a smaller body)

Pinikpikan (a Filipino cuisine out of a tortured chicken)

They fuse world music with Funk, Rock, and Jazz. Also, the bassist has a Hard rock/heavy metal band.

they changed their name on the last album to "Kalayo".
20.12.2012 - 07:44
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Ovatalomanta plays some decent Andes music.

I really like Afro-Celt Soundsystem. Their track 'Dhol Dogs' on their album 'Anatomic' is awesome.
----