08. Wir Hoffen
09. Der Weg
10. Ein Lichtlein
11. Auferstehen Soll In Herrlichkeit

Disc II [DVD] [Digipack bonus]
+ Der Weg [Video]
+ Making Of The "Der Weg"
+ Monsterball - Das Reiter Game

These riders of the storm have always been quite a strictly German affair, but over the past few years Die Apokalyptischen Reiter have broadened their horizons and now have interest from more than just one centralised area or Europe. After a massively successful previous album "Riders On The Storm" and hugely entertaining festival shows around Germany it would seem the perfect time to capitalise on the newfound popularity the band have managed to draw.

Unfortunately "Licht" does not do this. Die Apokalyptischen Reiter have never had so many eyes on them at one time before and so a career-defining album at this moment in time would have boosted the band immensely. "Licht" is disappointingly average from a band that over the past six albums has provided original, interesting and far from mediocre music. The album is the first with new guitarist Lady Cat-Man, who has stepped in, in place of Pitrone who took his leave after being involved with the band since 2002. Line-up changes never seem to be a good thing, and here is no exception. All spark and innovative song writing has been seemingly sucked out of the band when comparing to only two years ago.

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter are a professional band and always have been, Fuchs is one of the most charismatic vocalists in metal at the moment and is very capable in his abilities as well as having the diversity to perform both clean and harder vocals well. This album is still no exception as far as Fuchs is concerned, and the album still does have some catchy songs such as the opener "Es Wird Schlimmer" and "Heut' Ist Der Tag", but something is missing on "Licht".

These riders used to wow us all with their magically bombastic songs such as "Seemann", or hook us with their sheer catchiness with songs like "Die Sonne Scheint", but "Licht" is devoid of any song that dares to stand out in the crowd. The album has pretty much no folk side to it, and this absence is not made up with harder hitting, faster paced songs either. The album constantly rides in the middle, not daring to try out something potentially spectacular as the band's previous works all have.

"Licht" is not a bad album, but over the years the band have constantly put out top quality albums that pushed the boundaries of what they, themselves were doing. We have come to expect only the top quality from this band, and so even though this album is not a bad one, it still falls way underneath the expectations anyone could have had to follow up and capitalise on their newfound attention from fans. Nothing sticks out, there are no real highlights, and so overall the album is unfortunately easily forgettable. Still, Lady Cat-Man has not been in the band a year yet and so next time they might have formed some kind of chemistry. The only way to find out is to wait and see!

Written on 25.10.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The unpredictable Reiter are back with album number seven. The extravaganza band from Thüringen, Germany has been enjoying the spotlight directed on them following the very successful Riders on the Storm release in 2006.

While the new offering, Licht, strays from the winning formula of its precursor, it remains a dedicated effort despite the lighter tone of the songs and the tuned down devastating aggression. So from the start I give them the thumb up for avoiding releasing a clone of Riders on the Storm. These guys know better than to do that and lose the creative spirit that ranks them up there with bands upholding similar standards, bands such as Rammstein and Moonspell.

Read more ››
published 18.01.2009 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 151 users
25.10.2008 - 07:43
Rating: 8
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Man, I was looking forward to this album... I guess you killed the buzz for me. Oh well, I'll give it a try anyway but from what I heard I probably will end up sharing your opinion.
25.10.2008 - 12:17
FOOCK Nam

I like this one, Licht more than their previous album. I like the vocal that create the epic atmosphere, the vocalist has gone better than in previous albums.
25.10.2008 - 12:25
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Haha, I also looked forward to this, and I've only seen bad reviews... their previous album was kickass so I was expection a slight letdown though.
25.10.2008 - 17:15
Rating: 7
HardSide

Last albums were much better, this is so-so.
25.10.2008 - 22:54
Rating: 6
Promonex
Cathemeral
I've only heard "Es wird schlimmer" so far and I wasn't too fond of it. Reading that the opener is one of the few highlights seriously makes me afraid of giving the whole thing a try.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
03.11.2008 - 06:41
DoomGuard

Harsh review...I'll give it a listen
01.04.2009 - 01:29
T_s_T

Can't give an above-seven rating,can you?
01.04.2009 - 01:43
Baz Anderson

Written by T_s_T on 01.04.2009 at 01:29

Hahaha, it just means you know it is a good one when I give it a good rating.
Link
01.04.2009 - 01:57
T_s_T

Written by Baz Anderson on 01.04.2009 at 01:43

Written by T_s_T on 01.04.2009 at 01:29

Hahaha, it just means you know it is a good one when I give it a good rating.
Link

But have actually made some mistakes,for example In Flames' "A Sence Of Purpose" (my infidelic opinion)

Hits total: 7733 | This month: 7