Bathory
Twilight of the Gods
Blood on Ice
The Return...
Other

Total votes: 92
25.10.2008 - 13:41
RhysTerk

Which is your favourite album by Bathory?
I couldn't include all of the albums, but i hope you're happy with this.
In my opinion it's probably "Hammerheart" or "Blood On Ice", i will come back with an answer later.
25.10.2008 - 18:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How can you aks me this realy I love all albums but still my fav works are from ''Under The Sign Of The Black Mark'' till ''Twilight Of The Gods'' but it dont means I donmt like other albums
Lets say that part I wote 9 but others 8.9 if you know what i mean
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.10.2008 - 21:13
Metal_Militia

//I'd have to vote for their debut self-entitled album. I'm not only voting because i love the music, but also because of how groundbreaking it was. In my opinion, it was the first black metal record and cant really be equaled in terms of impact or the raw sounding overall nature. There are just so many mystical factors this album has and is the best by Bathory. A landmark album for sure//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

26.10.2008 - 03:30
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I choose Blood Fire Death, its the first i've heard from Bathory.. and it looks like the perfect mix between the raw black metal from ''Under the sign...'' and the most exposed viking elements from the following albuns. A perfect blend.
But sure its a hard choice since all albuns have extremily good quality (I am not counting the two disappointments Requiem and Octagon).
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.10.2008 - 19:35
Branzig

Blood Fire Death gets my vote, hands down. In my opinon, it is the perfect mix of their early brutality and their later folkier stuff. Just a killer album.
----
In Grind We Crust
27.10.2008 - 01:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I voted for Blood Fire Death because I fucking hate Viking Metal, and BFD is in-your-face black/thrash that used to get a lot of plays out of me until I put it in too much
09.02.2009 - 21:00
RhysTerk

Voted for Blood On Ice 'cause it is exactly what viking metal should be.
Really underrated album
10.02.2009 - 18:26
rageing atheist
Account deleted
The self-titled. Unpretentious, high-adrenaline, no dull songs. Also I like the short length. Hammerheart would be a close second for me, though I've overplayed it, so I don't listen to it very often anymore.
12.02.2009 - 05:54
Richard

Under the Sign of the Black Mark got my vote. It has the rough, abrasive feel of the previous two albums, but with a bit more variation and somehow an even more eerie quality. Songs such as Enter the Eternal Fire are catchy and anthemic whilst still sounding scathingly (a word..?) raw.

Surprisingly, though, I remember reading that Quorthon himself apparently didn't like this album much, and considered it to be his worst release...
----
12.02.2009 - 10:56
EliytresSkogUlv
Account deleted
Best is Nordland I...
12.02.2009 - 11:12
ForeverDarkWoods

Since Nordland I is one of the best albums that's ever come out ever, and I even named this account after a Nordland I song it'sd be weird if I didn't vote Nordland. I still love all the stuff though except for Octagon and Destroyer Of Worlds. The Returne..., Under The Sign Of The Black Mark and Hammerheart in particular are also awesome albums.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
15.09.2009 - 19:27
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Richard on 12.02.2009 at 05:54

Surprisingly, though, I remember reading that Quorthon himself apparently didn't like this album much, and considered it to be his worst release...

A perfect song like "Enter the Eternal Fire" is enough not to mark this album as THE worst.

As for THE best, won't vote now for i haven't listened to the full discography yet.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
09.12.2009 - 02:22
DoomGuard

Hammerheart, completely, its an amazing album and is very emotional at times during the song, especially during One Rode To Asa Bay
09.12.2009 - 14:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Voted for Hammerheart...but i should check Blood On Ice, i dont know it yet...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.12.2009 - 12:32
divortium

Ivoted for Hammerheart, but Nordlands and Blood Fire Death are both extremely solid albums.

Destroyer of Worlds is EXTREMELY underrated... Not a solid album, but "Sudden Death", "White Bones", "Lake of Fire", etc. are extremely solid tracks.
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
18.12.2009 - 20:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Not sure when or what i voted. i like the first four, but if forced to choose would probably go with "The Return" - i just really like that one more than the others for some gut/instinctual reason. and i did the chick's scream in the title track.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.12.2009 - 05:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on 18.12.2009 at 20:14

and i did the chick's scream in the title track.

haha I didn't know you had that type of range
20.12.2009 - 06:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dangerboner on 20.12.2009 at 05:30

Written by BitterCOld on 18.12.2009 at 20:14

and i did the chick's scream in the title track.

haha I didn't know you had that type of range

lol. scotch + beer + ms equals occasionally funny inadvertent shit.

did = dig.

----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.01.2010 - 00:36
Baz Anderson

I've never given Bathory as much of my time as they (he) deserved. I like the earlier black metal albums, but I like the two Nordland albums a lot as well.
Hard to say, but maybe the Nordland ones win it for me.
03.01.2010 - 16:30
Sludge Cowboy

1:Twilight of the gods
2:Nordland I and II
3:Hammerheart
4:Blood Fire Death
Quorthon R.I.P
----
If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
09.01.2010 - 06:35
Gordon Freeman

Blood Fire Death is easily, for me, Bathory's high-water mark. With the albums directly before and following being numbers 2 and 3 respectively.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
10.01.2010 - 15:32
Zio

I prefer Nordalnd I, in particular Foreverdark Woods, even if in Hammerheart there are great songs like One Rode and Father and Son ... Nordland melodies are better produced.
----
Knowing is not enough we must apply. Willing is not enough we must do. ~
12.03.2010 - 00:03
ravendeath

Hammerheart !!! Absolutely!
04.04.2010 - 09:16
JohnWayneGacy666

Under the sign of the black mark is the best bathory album, their first was good i also like their viking metal from the 90s
08.09.2010 - 05:02
Sweet Leaf

I voted for "Under the Sign...", even if it's very hard to choose one. I find it slightly better than the previous two releases, and if I had to mention a perfect black metal album this is the first thing that would come to my mind. But I think that all Bathory albums are awesome (apart from Requiem and Octagon). "Twillight of the Gods" was the first I listened to and I've loved the band since then.

Written by divortium on 14.12.2009 at 12:32

Destroyer of Worlds is EXTREMELY underrated... Not a solid album, but "Sudden Death", "White Bones", "Lake of Fire", etc. are extremely solid tracks.

I agree with that; I don't consider it a great album overall but it has some great tracks. I especially like the first three songs and "Sudden Death".
01.03.2012 - 19:31
Infernal Eternal

1.Hammerheart
2.Blood Fire Death
3.Blood On Ice
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.03.2012 - 01:50
IronAngel

Blood Fire Death probably has the best Bathory moments (like the title track), but it also has some filler t(h)rash (Holocaust, srsly?). Hammerheart was a little softer and maybe lost a bit of the edge, but it's more consistently good.
02.03.2012 - 04:22
Lit.
Account deleted
Geez either the self titled or Hammerheart. One Rode To Asa Bay is probably one of the grandest songs Ive ever heard.
02.03.2012 - 14:54
thewaytonever

Too bad I couln't vote for 3 albums all together since Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Hammerheart, and Blood Fire Death have always been in a 3 way badassness tie with me I settled on Blood Fire Death since it was the first album I heard from Bathory
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
09.03.2012 - 22:30
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Twilight of the Gods. I can even see the mist around my room when listening to Through blood by Thunder and Bond of Blood.

To say the truth, all Bathory albums are amazing.