Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
05.01.2012 - 17:52
Aristarchos

I think Ghost is the future. They have released one highly acclaimed record and has an accesible sound, although they haven't reached commercial success yet. They will never be as big as Maiden, though.
05.01.2012 - 21:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Aristarchos on 05.01.2012 at 17:52
They have released one highly acclaimed record and has an accesible sound, although they haven't reached commercial success yet.

They'll never achieve mainstream success if they don't reveal their identities and do a couple interviews or something.

This day and age you can't just... magically get popular because your music is good. You have to have a label that knows how to market you, pimps you on tours with trendy/trending bands, and the band members have to be willing to go public as often as they can.

Burzum wasn't a household name in the early '90s until the church burnings caught the attention of the media and metalzines started picking up on the music and promoting it to their readers. THEN people started listening to what black metal they could.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 21:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
That and they repeatedly sing Satan over and over and over and over and over in their songs. even with people who don't freak out at the mention of the dude with the pitchfork it gets more tedious than Bieber's "babybabybabybaby" .
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.01.2012 - 02:45
lordchadi

I don think there will be a band as iron maiden

everything in this life have exceptions & iron maiden are the exception of the music
06.01.2012 - 11:51
Aristarchos

Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 21:05

They have released one highly acclaimed record and has an accesible sound, although they haven't reached commercial success yet.

They'll never achieve mainstream success if they don't reveal their identities and do a couple interviews or something.

This day and age you can't just... magically get popular because your music is good. You have to have a label that knows how to market you, pimps you on tours with trendy/trending bands, and the band members have to be willing to go public as often as they can.

Burzum wasn't a household name in the early '90s until the church burnings caught the attention of the media and metalzines started picking up on the music and promoting it to their readers. THEN people started listening to what black metal they could.

Lordi won Eurovision song contest without revealing their identities.
06.01.2012 - 20:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 21:05

Kiss got HUGE because they never revealed their identities back in the day.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2012 - 22:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
1. Eurovision is gay
2. Kiss = back in the day. Times change. Most people just find it obnoxious now when band members are all about cloak and dagger bullshit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.01.2012 - 12:35
Aristarchos

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 22:19

1. Eurovision is gay

I don't see your point. Isn't it more impressing to win a competition you call "gay" (although I hate to use that word in such a way for respect to homosexuals), than to be popular among more serious non-metal music listeners?

Quote:

2. Kiss = back in the day. Times change. Most people just find it obnoxious now when band members are all about cloak and dagger bullshit.

But the people who don't is enough to bring a band to the mainstream. There are only a few bands that most people like. And by the way I think most people only care about how the music sounds. And as you said times changes. If you are right (which I doubt you are), who knows what people will think tomorrow?
07.01.2012 - 22:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Sorry, sometimes I make jokes and other people get all in yo face serious.

So, seriously: Call me when they "make it big". I have a feeling you won't be calling me any time soon.
----
08.01.2012 - 11:25
Aristarchos

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.01.2012 at 22:49

Sorry, sometimes I make jokes and other people get all in yo face serious.

So, seriously: Call me when they "make it big". I have a feeling you won't be calling me any time soon.

Since you're american, maybe they will never make it there, but I think they have a pretty good chance in Europe, and at least in Sweden I think they will make it soon.
08.01.2012 - 11:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Aristarchos on 08.01.2012 at 11:25
Since you're american, maybe they will never make it there, but I think they have a pretty good chance in Europe, and at least in Sweden I think they will make it soon.

We're talking about the next Iron Maiden, not the next band to gain popularity or even "a little" mainstream success. We're talking 85 million records sold, worldwide success, universal recognition, longevity, you name it.

I'm not a Maiden fan for the record, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.
----
08.01.2012 - 12:07
Aristarchos

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.01.2012 at 11:28

Written by Aristarchos on 08.01.2012 at 11:25

We're talking about the next Iron Maiden, not the next band to gain popularity or even "a little" mainstream success. We're talking 85 million records sold, worldwide success, universal recognition, longevity, you name it.

I'm not a Maiden fan for the record, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

As I said in my first post, they will never be as big as Maiden; and I don't think any metal band will be that and still respected. But I think they are my best suggestion out of the new bands, that haven't become big yet, who could be the biggest metal band comercially. Since they have only released one album yet it is impossible to see where they could be in the future, and for most bands it takes long before they reach commercial success. I think it is unusual with bands that make such promising debut albums. And I know that some bands that made promising debuts never follow up with something interesting. For all bands I think they need to develop in an interesting way and not just repeating themselves.
09.01.2012 - 19:23
Olli

Hmmm Mastodon seem to be getting pretty popular nowadays, Kerrang named "The Hunter" as the number 1 album of 2011 which is pretty good for sales. Doubtful they'll ever hit anything near the sales of Maiden though..

Edit: Also number one album of 2011 in Metal hammer magazine
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
16.01.2012 - 01:21
Sentinel65

I think Ghost is the future. They have released one highly acclaimed record and has an accesible sound, although they haven't reached commercial success yet. They will never be as big as Maiden, though.

I would agree with this statement, and they could easily become mainstream in the metal world. The largest hindrance on their mainstream success however is their extremely satanic lyrics. I would go with Mastodon, they're gaining popularity, while still keeping the respect of their fans. I could say the same about Opeth also.
19.01.2012 - 17:12
Pondscum

Our society has changed too much for there to ever be another Iron Maiden type band. There are so few arena tours anymore, compared to the 70's and 80's.