Metal Storm logo
Led Zeppelin - Present Day Developments

Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones has spoken to BBC Radio about Led Zeppelin's future plans and it would seem that a new album is in the works as well as a new tour.

"It would seem as", though original frontman Robert Plant is not going to be part of the band's future plans. But bassist John Paul Jones has confirmed rumours that Led Zeppelin have been having regular rehearsals and are planning something big for the near future.

After confirming that "a couple" of singers have tried out for the band, JPJ went on to say: "We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

On the subject of a new vocalist for the band, Jones said: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert. You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

Also eGigs.co.uk reported a few days ago that John Paul Jones has confirmed reports that that he, guitarist Jimmy Page and drummer Jason Bonham ? following the band's one off appearance at O2 Arena, London last year ? were itching to get out on the road. Singer Robert Plant has already announced that he has no plans to join them, as he was committed to his work with Alison Krauss, although they could be reunited with him in "a couple of years."

Source: metalhammer.co.uk
Band profile: Led Zeppelin
Posted: 29.10.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 24   Visited by: 179 users
29.10.2008 - 16:44
corrupt
With a lowercase c
This could be how legends fall. To release an album after 16 years of absence is a huge risk. Especially for a band that's grown to this big a legend. 'Coda' could easily be excused with having to fulfill a contract although John Bonham died. But if this goes wrong...
Jimmy doesn't get younger. I'm looking forward to that album. But I don't expect much of a reunited band of 64 year old seniors.
----
29.10.2008 - 17:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
NOOOO!

I had a little more respect for Zep than this. The Zeppelin sound isn't each individual member, but all of them combined. I'm even weary of an album without Bonham, but without Plant either? Theres a reason they decided to disband after Bonham died, I wish they would remember that. Call it "Page & Jones" or whatever, but slapping the Zep name on it just sounds like a money grabbing tactic - that will probably work. Its evident in the fact that they can't wait a few years for Plant to finish up his other obligations.

This news makes me sad, and a bit angry.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 18:20
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Written by corrupt on 29.10.2008 at 16:44

This could be how legends fall. [...] I don't expect much of a reunited band of 64 year old seniors.

I do!
I'm at work now, and I was coming here listening Led Zeppelin & Coverdale/Page, and thinking "Jimmy Page has done such a great album in the last decade (with David Coverdale), I'm certain that Led Zeppelin can do another great album nowadays!"

I was dreaming for this news! And I believe they will make a reasoneble choice for their new vocals. Even if that means wait for Robert Plant or even summoning David Coverdale or other vocalist!
----
Last.fm
29.10.2008 - 18:26
Morcant
Wulfgar
I was listening to Led Zeppelin because of the incredible voice of Robert Plant. Without him they're just a band like everyone else.
----
"No guts no glory"
- Bolt Thrower
29.10.2008 - 19:45
Newfie_Metal

There is no point without Plant.
29.10.2008 - 19:59
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I think with Plant it would be worse, that man is waaay past his prime. The Coverdale/Page stuff is good, but I agree that slapping the Zeppelin label on the album is just a moneygrab. If you are truly talented you don't let a name speak for you, you let your work do it (like Stephen King/Richard Bachman).
29.10.2008 - 20:41
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Written by Morcant on 29.10.2008 at 18:26

I was listening to Led Zeppelin because of the incredible voice of Robert Plant. Without him they're just a band like everyone else.

Try listen Coverdale/Page! The Led Zeppelin Style with David Coverdale on vocal!

Robert Plant voice is awesome, but Led Zeppelin is more than just that!
----
Last.fm
29.10.2008 - 20:42
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Written by Introspekrieg on 29.10.2008 at 19:59

I think with Plant it would be worse, that man is waaay past his prime. The Coverdale/Page stuff is good, but I agree that slapping the Zeppelin label on the album is just a moneygrab. If you are truly talented you don't let a name speak for you, you let your work do it (like Stephen King/Richard Bachman).

But if the last year formation (at O2 Arena) is confirmed, it will be more than just a moneygrabber!
----
Last.fm
29.10.2008 - 21:29
necrovamp

Hm they should form a band but with a new name, this album may be ok but it will fall short. its gonna be like queen and paul rodegrs all over again. It not going to work. however i belive if they formed a new band it could work and they should do, instead of leaving a mark on led zeps legacy
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
29.10.2008 - 21:42
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 17:49

NOOOO!

I had a little more respect for Zep than this. The Zeppelin sound isn't each individual member, but all of them combined. I'm even weary of an album without Bonham, but without Plant either? Theres a reason they decided to disband after Bonham died, I wish they would remember that. Call it "Page & Jones" or whatever, but slapping the Zep name on it just sounds like a money grabbing tactic - that will probably work. Its evident in the fact that they can't wait a few years for Plant to finish up his other obligations.

i feel precisely as you do. there should be NO present day developments. scurvy sheister bastards.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.10.2008 - 22:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 21:42

NOOOO!

i feel precisely as you do. there should be NO present day developments. scurvy sheister bastards.

There is no honor in this whatsoever. A reunion tour/few shows is ok, but seriously, have they no shame?
----
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 22:51
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 22:28

Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 21:42

NOOOO!

There is no honor in this whatsoever. A reunion tour/few shows is ok, but seriously, have they no shame?

clearly not. Bonham is going batshit insane wherever he is, im sure. this is almost inhumane. i would say call PETA but they deal with animals/are terrorists, so don't call them.

WOW definitely missed the "robert plant isnt going to be part of this" thing. whoever initiated this whole thing should be devoured by vermin Cannibal Corpse style.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.10.2008 - 22:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 22:51

clearly not. Bonham is going batshit insane wherever he is, im sure. this is almost inhumane. i would say call PETA but they deal with animals/are terrorists, so don't call them.

WOW definitely missed the "robert plant isnt going to be part of this" thing. whoever initiated this whole thing should be devoured by vermin Cannibal Corpse style.

Theres a reason people like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison died young, and why Lynyrd Skynyrd got in a deadly plane crash at the peak of their career, its so things like this don't happen.
----
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 23:20
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 22:56

Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 22:51

Theres a reason people like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison died young, and why Lynyrd Skynyrd got in a deadly plane crash at the peak of their career, its so things like this don't happen.

this just goes to show that Windir is a classier band than Led Zeppelin is. and i never thought i would be saying that. ever. but Lynyrd Skynyrd is still around though. in some carnation or another.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

29.10.2008 - 23:33
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I guess it would be fun for this generation to see them live. Even though Its not gonna be the true lie up though.
----
Coldgrits
29.10.2008 - 23:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 23:20

this just goes to show that Windir is a classier band than Led Zeppelin is. and i never thought i would be saying that. ever. but Lynyrd Skynyrd is still around though. in some carnation or another.

Yeah, and if buddy from Windir was still alive and they simply broke up, I bet you wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage on your house just to get a ticket to see them in a reunion tour (Zep charging the prices they did for that show is completely going against what rock n roll is about, same with the prices The Rolling Stones were charging in their latest tour). As far as Skynyrd goes, I completely forgot about that, which was pretty mind boggling as well, considering you could probably live out 3 lifetimes simply off the royalties from 'Free Bird' and 'Sweet Home Alabama'....Damn that sucks, there will only be one Lynyrd Skynyrd for me, and it died with Ronnie Van Zant (at the same time I can't imagine them charging shitloads of cash just to go see them). The same goes for this Zep reunion, theres only 1 Led Zeppelin and it died with Ronnie Van Zant....er, I mean John Bonham.
----
- George Carlin
30.10.2008 - 00:02
Symmachus

This news will be interesting to track. As of the news itself, I have no comment on that.
30.10.2008 - 01:05
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 23:55

Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 23:20

Yeah, and if buddy from Windir was still alive and they simply broke up, I bet you wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage on your house just to get a ticket to see them in a reunion tour (Zep charging the prices they did for that show is completely going against what rock n roll is about, same with the prices The Rolling Stones were charging in their latest tour). As far as Skynyrd goes, I completely forgot about that, which was pretty mind boggling as well, considering you could probably live out 3 lifetimes simply off the royalties from 'Free Bird' and 'Sweet Home Alabama'....Damn that sucks, there will only be one Lynyrd Skynyrd for me, and it died with Ronnie Van Zant (at the same time I can't imagine them charging shitloads of cash just to go see them). The same goes for this Zep reunion, theres only 1 Led Zeppelin and it died with Ronnie Van Zant....er, I mean John Bonham.

yeah, the Stones charge irrational amounts of money for their tours. i remember 2 years back when they came to the Oakland A's baseball stadium for their most recent album's tour that tickets were like, 400 bucks a piece or something. Zep's tickets for their reunion show were equally expensive if i recall correctly. Zep has already sold the rights to "Rock and Roll" to Cadillac when their CTS sedan and coupe came out. i just hope for my sake they dont sell the rights to "Stairway to Heaven" to some other unholy corporation bent on using the appeal of Zep to sell something. when that day comes i'm moving to some small ass island in the south specific.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

30.10.2008 - 01:57
Arcesse Eum

Its going to suck
----
As above, so below.
30.10.2008 - 12:20
Damnated
Churchburner

NOOOO!

my thoughts exactly.

why can't they just play their existing material at concerts? everybody knows and adores that.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
30.10.2008 - 16:02
Carrion Misery

I hear its rumored that Steven Tyler from Aerosmith has tried out and is a big possibility as frontman.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
30.10.2008 - 16:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Quote:
I would say call PETA but they deal with animals/are terrorists, so don't call them.

lol what the hell?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.10.2008 - 22:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Damnated on 30.10.2008 at 12:20

NOOOO!

my thoughts exactly.

why can't they just play their existing material at concerts? everybody knows and adores that.

Because people are dopey enough to go and buy an album consisting of 50% of the band.

EDIT: the more I think about it, I really hope something tragic happens to prevent this. They've all lived out long successful lives, maybe death is the right thing for people who seem to be only living for money.
----
- George Carlin
02.11.2008 - 12:08
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Carrion Misery on 30.10.2008 at 16:02

I hear its rumored that Steven Tyler from Aerosmith has tried out and is a big possibility as frontman.

According to Billboard sources, Myles Kennedy (known from Creed and Alter Bridge) would be the first in line for doing the gigs as frontman and vocalist. According to "sources in the know", Kennedy has even rehearsed with Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist John Paul Jones and drummer Jason Bonham on several occasions.
Read the full article here.
----
Your favorite band sucks.

Hits total: 4501 | This month: 4