Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

31.10.2008 - 10:10
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
----
Coldgrits
31.10.2008 - 11:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
I'm recently into AvantGarde/Ambient Black Metal.
The Masquerade Infernale by Arcturus brought me interest to this genre, it's really interesting...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.10.2008 - 11:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Same old metal what I like doom, heavy , old school thrash, death and heavy nmothing new actualy , same old staff what i do 5 years
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.10.2008 - 14:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Right now I'm more into Black, Doom and Grindcore.

I'm not quite sure how I started to listen to this genres. Maybe mainstream bands like Dimmu Borgir, then probably some Opeth maked me listen to more bands that sounded depressive [I know Opeth is not doom]

Grindcore errrr.. I don't know, it started in an odd way. Probably with TOOH and Napalm Death. Or just curiosity when I saw gorish covers.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.10.2008 - 14:58
Kasper

Brutal/technical death metal is definitely what I've been listening to alot lately. Guess I first found Necrophagist and then continued to find new bands, but really began to love it, when I heard Decrepit Birth. They have a very nice style.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
03.11.2008 - 05:49
Gigginova
Account deleted
I've listened to the most unique of Death Metal such as Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Behemoth, Vader, Napalm Death, Cattle Decapitation.......

I believe the pioneers were either Death or Possessed.
well technically, the last 2 are considered 'Grind'......Napalm Death are said to be the godfathers of that.
03.11.2008 - 06:33
Hrothdane

I have really been starting to get in more old school thrash and heavy metal recently. I discovered that I love priest and maiden, and that I like megadeth much better than metallica. It feels kind of like discovering the metal world's high school yearbook
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
03.11.2008 - 06:40
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I've been listening to Viking, Black, and Death Metal consistently for a few years now.

it started with Ensiferum, Immortal, and Death but I ventured into the sounds deeper and discovered great bands like Windir, Enslaved, Burzum, and old school death metal like Unleashed and Bolt thrower. Recently a new genre for me though has been doom metal. It started with My Dying Bride and is slowly oozing out to other bands of the genre.
----
Coldgrits
03.11.2008 - 07:05
Nightmare^

Like Bad English said, i'm also in the same things for the last years. If i had to say something new, well "recently" would be about a year ago :p when i took a step further into technical death metal. I always liked bands like Decapitated or Necrophagist, and a year ago i just started to find more and more bands, mostly more unerground than the previous.
----
03.11.2008 - 07:43
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Technical/brutal death recently, bands like decapitated, suffocation, early cryptopsy and stuff
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
03.11.2008 - 14:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Progressive metal has been my obsession for a while now, several months. Well it isn't a genre i've been into recently, it's more of a long-time love now. Having gone to the Porcupine Tree show really made me listen to my prog records even with more enthusiasm than I did before. So I'm basically always listening to prog in and out and now I have been doing it steadily.

I'll probably go back to death soon because I miss it because I have been so wrapped up in prog. I feel bad that I have neglected all other genres. I will go back to them sooner or later.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.11.2008 - 16:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 03.11.2008 at 14:01

I'll probably go back to death soon because I miss it because I have been so wrapped up in prog. I feel bad that I have neglected all other genres. I will go back to them sooner or later.

It also happens to me that I don't listen to some genre for a long long time. But the good news is that after stoping listen to a genre... You listen to it again and feel it more fresh than before
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2008 - 19:05
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
A week ago I was discovering so-called depressive black metal bands but most of them are quite crappy - I still love Shining but they have been steering away from that style now loving Shining is almost a tautology. Also, I like Nyktalgia quite a lot and Mortifera (if this is depressive bm, I'm not sure but no matter).
This week is dedicated to hip-hop instead
03.11.2008 - 20:10
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'm trying to get into Folk Metal. I know some acoustic folk bands and I love them, but it's getting hard to get into the metal scene.. I enjoy Wintersun and Eluveitie a lot (specially Spirit album), and now I'm listening to Ensiferum and Equilibrium and it's finally getting into me..

Other than that, alike BloodTears, I'm obsessive with progressive. I don't know exactly what band I started with.. maybe Opeth and Dream Theater. Since then I've been listening to all good progressive metal bands I find, like old Evergrey, Ayreon, Communic or Threshold. I love long progressive songs, and I listen to at least one cd per day.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
03.11.2008 - 21:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Dark Blood on 03.11.2008 at 20:10

I'm trying to get into Folk Metal. I know some acoustic folk bands and I love them, but it's getting hard to get into the metal scene.. I enjoy Wintersun and Eluveitie a lot (specially Spirit album), and now I'm listening to Ensiferum and Equilibrium and it's finally getting into me..

Other than that, alike BloodTears, I'm obsessive with progressive. I don't know exactly what band I started with.. maybe Opeth and Dream Theater. Since then I've been listening to all good progressive metal bands I find, like old Evergrey, Ayreon, Communic or Threshold. I love long progressive songs, and I listen to at least one cd per day.

I finally got Evergrey's new album but I still haven't listened to it. Have you?
----

My Instagram
03.11.2008 - 21:15
Demonmayonnaise

Ive been listening to thrash (old school and new) and death for the past year. I rarely listen to anything else. The bands that kicked it off, I dont even remember. I listen to Slayer and Death more than anything right not though. Obituary gets the occasional spin.
03.11.2008 - 21:28
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 03.11.2008 at 21:13

I finally got Evergrey's new album but I still haven't listened to it. Have you?

Yes I have. Well, one thing I know for sure.. it's better than MMA. But I'll let you hear it and form an opinion yourself. Let me know what you think when you have. Btw, my favourite song is Theses Scars.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
03.11.2008 - 23:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Dark Blood on 03.11.2008 at 21:28

Written by BloodTears on 03.11.2008 at 21:13

Yes I have. Well, one thing I know for sure.. it's better than MMA. But I'll let you hear it and form an opinion yourself. Let me know what you think when you have. Btw, my favourite song is Theses Scars.

Just finished listening to the new album. Well, I think it is a consistent album, a good album. It certainly satisfies me more than MMA did. "Fear" and "In confidence" are my favourite songs so far. I agree that "these scars" is a good song. Having said that, I think they need to free themselves from the static structure their songs are clinging to. They usually start with a heavy, dark riff and then there's the chorus and a variation and the solo. I will say this: great solos on this album. But they need to expand the structure of their songs otherwise their albums will bore people after a few listens. It will bore me at least if I know where the song is going everytime, the surprising factor is not there. That is why I said that their songs were filled with clichés.

Despite of all the weaknesses I find in the album, I still enjoyed it. Let's see what I think after a few more listens.
----

My Instagram
03.11.2008 - 23:33
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 03.11.2008 at 23:02

Just finished listening to the new album. Well, I think it is a consistent album, a good album. It certainly satisfies me more than MMA did. "Fear" and "In confidence" are my favourite songs so far. I agree that "these scars" is a good song. Having said that, I think they need to free themselves from the static structure their songs are clinging to. They usually start with a heavy, dark riff and then there's the chorus and a variation and the solo. I will say this: great solos on this album. But they need to expand the structure of their songs otherwise their albums will bore people after a few listens. I will bore me at least if I know where the song is going everytime, the surprising factor is not there. That is why I said that their songs were filled with clichés.

Despite of all the weaknesses I find in the album, I still enjoyed it. Let's see what I think after a few more listens.

Yes. I have the same opinion, it's a good album indeed. Very solid. But I feel it lacks something.. maybe is that surprising factor you talk about. I like These Scars because has good heavy riffs, the vocals are good, and also has a good structure imo, but I guess it's mostly because of the female vocals and the solos (like you said: the album has pretty good solos). Hmm I don't know.. maybe I got too much into "Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy" and "In Search of Truth" albums.. now I miss the dark atmosphere and the concept dark lyrics. But anyways, I still enjoy Torn. I'm happy with it.
----
04.11.2008 - 03:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Doom metal, various subgenres thereof, thanks to Warning, as well as Marcel and Lucas... damn them!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.11.2008 - 17:00
Ragana
Rawrcat
Although I've always listened to Black Metal much more than others, now has begun the new era of MY Black Metal. And it started with I's album "Between Two Worlds", which I got just few weeks ago. Then again I'm listening to Immortal and I'm totally into Rotting Christ as I entered in a game, where I had to represent Greece (my country in this game).. so, I decided to be a "patriot".
09.11.2008 - 11:42
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Old School Thrash Metal, really loving it at the moment.

A friend of mine suggested Voice of Destruction a thrash band from South Africa, I really like their album Bloedrivier, really nice and progressive riffs at places, the whole feel of the album is awesome. Will definitely look for more bands in this genre.
09.11.2008 - 14:28
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Death metal is what I'm listening the last 1,5 year. I listen also to other stuff (Thrash, Black and a little Gothic, Heavy...) but what I love this time is Death.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.11.2008 - 09:26
FOOCK Nam

Doom and and all epic stuff (mostly epic black/viking/folk) been my focusing into recently. New metal genre I just have discovered and digges is symphonic metal. But well mostly played time in my library of music are doom and black.
10.11.2008 - 21:51
DanielViking

Viking metal... think the first band that started it was bathory... i liked lots of bands of this metal genre...
21.11.2008 - 00:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Death metal and Grindcore.
Started by Atrocity and Cattle Decapitation and The Berserker.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.11.2008 - 01:31
Metalbound7

Melodic Death Metal and Prog Death Metal is what i have been listened lately. Amon Amarth started it. Even when i knew and loved this bands before. The last week i listened mainly to Amon Amarth, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, In Flames, Into Eternity, Soilwork, etc. But im still listening other stuff. I love all kinds of Metal. For Example today i had listened to Slayer, Katatonia, Ratt, Diamond Head, Masterplan, Anthrax, Adagio, Chrome Division, Symphony X, Pain, Haggar, Epica, Venom, Enslaved,(and many more) and of course my daily ration of Melodic Death Metal
21.11.2008 - 01:50
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I usually stick to the Metal genres I always liked (i.e. Symphonic Power, Folk, Power, and Melodic Death in that order) and in fact I am lately sticking to Folk Metal more than anything else. I mean, 2008 is the year of Folk Metal: Slania by Eluveitie. Sagas by Equilibrium or Szelek by Dalriada are only a handful of all the awesome Folk Metal that this year is bringing to us. Such a broad genre with so many talented artists at the same time!
22.11.2008 - 05:07
necrovamp

Avantegarde/folk black metal,

the meads of asphodel started this one off, though im getting into sear bliss and equilibrium, anyone got any other bands like these?
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
24.11.2008 - 00:53
MyEpica
Account deleted
I must say that I'm into most metal, but my heart lies with goth-metal.. The path started softly years ago with Nightwish, and soon I found my hearts desires in the goth-metal music...