Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
13.05.2014 - 05:07
Dr.Overkill26

For me It's all about the BM right now, especially the more aggressive stuff. And lots of Celtic Frost and Triptykon, which I would consider a form of BM. It just kind of happened, I found myself listening to a lot more Bathory, Bought the New Triptykon, Re listened to their Debut, Now It feels like the next two weeks should be all about Celtic Frost/Triptykon and Black Metal. Will check out Hellhammer when I have $.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
14.05.2014 - 19:49
Schizoid6.6

There is no one genre, I shuffle it all. Although, a lot of my recent aquisitions have been classic 80's heavy metal and thrash.
29.05.2014 - 18:05
ditmas_duke

Lately I've been listening to "Dark Metal" if that's still a real thing. Band's i'd put under that flag would be Samael's "Blood Ritual" album, the first few Bethlehem records, Unholy (Finland), and the earlier works of Katatonia. A cross between doom and black metal.
06.06.2014 - 17:39
Schizoid6.6

Actually I've been listening to a lot of folk/viking, possibly started by Equilibrium or Moonsorrow.
07.06.2014 - 12:14
Aseliot

Written by ditmas_duke on 29.05.2014 at 18:05

Lately I've been listening to "Dark Metal" if that's still a real thing. Band's i'd put under that flag would be Samael's "Blood Ritual" album, the first few Bethlehem records, Unholy (Finland), and the earlier works of Katatonia. A cross between doom and black metal.

And bethlehem?
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
08.06.2014 - 08:18
Jtbmetal123

Here lately ive been jamming some punk.
09.06.2014 - 11:26
raveneffect

After a huge wave of more obscure classic age Thrash Metal, i've began bouncing between Psychadelic Rock and Doom Metal.
20.06.2014 - 07:33
Ganondox

Not really a genre, but lately I've been listening to a lot of atmospheric metal, like blackgaze, alternative bands like Deftones and Tool, and progressive bands like DTP and Ne Oblivscarius.
10.07.2014 - 07:29
BlackMilk912

I've relapsed into my black metal addiction the past month or so. Been jamming a lot of Dissection, Immortal, Hades Almighty, Gorgoroth, old Nachmystium, etc. and have been seeking new thrills but the genre seems to have become a little convoluted lately.
----
"Ya know what a shit rope is? Its a rope, covered with shit, that criminals try to hang on to. You see the shit acts like grease. And the more you try to climb up, the harder you try to hang on, the faster you slide down the shit rope...straight to j
10.07.2014 - 14:51
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Right now I've been into Mastodon, so I guess the genre would be progressive sludge / stoner metal
18.02.2015 - 08:10
Deathmaster

Ha! Still on a huge black metal kick, and still Loving Triptykon and Celtic Frost. I would tots say if anything lately I've had a bit of a USBM obsession, and loving all this great USBM.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
18.02.2015 - 23:58
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Was recently introduced to Atlantean Kodex by a friend as he knows I like "epic" music. I loved it straight away and keep reading that it's "Doom Metal" ...apparently. I've never really listened to that genre at all, but if I can find any other bands like them then that would be awesome.
19.02.2015 - 00:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Belegûr on 18.02.2015 at 23:58

Was recently introduced to Atlantean Kodex by a friend as he knows I like "epic" music. I loved it straight away and keep reading that it's "Doom Metal" ...apparently. I've never really listened to that genre at all, but if I can find any other bands like them then that would be awesome.

I love doom metal and I love Atlantean Kodex. But I would say it is borderline doom. Mostly epic heavy metal (such as old Manowar) with a bit of doom thrown into it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2015 - 00:23
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2015 at 00:18

Written by Belegûr on 18.02.2015 at 23:58

I love doom metal and I love Atlantean Kodex. But I would say it is borderline doom. Mostly epic heavy metal (such as old Manowar) with a bit of doom thrown into it.

I definitely got an old Manowar vibe from it. I did read it as "Epic Heavy/Doom Metal" in quite a few places. Whatever it is, i'm loving it
19.02.2015 - 00:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Belegûr on 19.02.2015 at 00:23

I definitely got an old Manowar vibe from it.

On Atlantean Kodex''s demo Ross The Boss even guested, so...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2015 - 00:33
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2015 at 00:31

Written by Belegûr on 19.02.2015 at 00:23

I definitely got an old Manowar vibe from it.

On Atlantean Kodex''s demo Ross The Boss even guested, so...

That's "The Pnakotic Demos"? I haven't listened to that yet. I've only bought the 2 studio albums .
19.02.2015 - 00:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Belegûr on 19.02.2015 at 00:33

That's "The Pnakotic Demos"?

Yep, that's the one. Great demo btw. On a par with their two full lengths. Great live band as well. Saw them at Dutch DOOM Days 2013.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2015 - 14:53
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
My interest for sludge has risen after I heard Blue Record from Baroness, really good IMO
19.03.2015 - 15:49
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Anything grinding, crust-fully hardcore.
----
The Fangirl.
21.03.2015 - 20:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Within the past two years, sludge, Horn Of The Rhino really opened the door for me on that one.
Mostly been shifting towards drone, dark ambient, and anything ritualistic really in the past year. I thank Sunn O))) and Aderlating.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.03.2015 - 21:12
Araki
Account deleted
I hardly listened to metal before I discovered Behemoth at Fortarock last year (I came with friends, I had no idea). It's been all uphill since then. I fell in love with black ritualistic metal after that and it's getting more and more abstract and noisy of late. From Amenra I progressed into Lapis Niger, Urfaust, Dark Buddha Rising, Saturnalia Temple and soms Hexvessel when I'm in a lighter mood. And now I'm thrilled to attend this amazing gathering of ritualistic black/doom metal in the alps this summer. More of that good stuff...
22.03.2015 - 15:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 21.03.2015 at 21:12

I hardly listened to metal before I discovered Behemoth at Fortarock last year (I came with friends, I had no idea). It's been all uphill since then. I fell in love with black ritualistic metal after that and it's getting more and more abstract and noisy of late. From Amenra I progressed into Lapis Niger, Urfaust, Dark Buddha Rising, Saturnalia Temple and soms Hexvessel when I'm in a lighter mood. And now I'm thrilled to attend this amazing gathering of ritualistic black/doom metal in the alps this summer. More of that good stuff...

nice list for new comer, most ordinary ppl would say in your age Metallica, Anthrax hmmm and those classics what bring into metal most of us
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.03.2015 - 17:32
Araki
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 22.03.2015 at 15:09

Written by Guest on 21.03.2015 at 21:12

nice list for new comer, most ordinary ppl would say in your age Metallica, Anthrax hmmm and those classics what bring into metal most of us

Thanks. Well, maybe it is my age (33) or maybe it's just that when I get obsessed with something new I want to get to the bottom of it. At this point I'm sampling all doom, sludge and black metal I can get my hands on on youtube, fb, spotify and through labels that released other sounds I like, like Svart records. My motto for now is: I know it (what makes me tick) when I hear it. And by the way: band recommendations are more than welcome.
22.03.2015 - 19:46
no one
Account deleted

nice list for new comer, most ordinary ppl would say in your age Metallica, Anthrax

bit of a generalization
22.03.2015 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.03.2015 at 19:46

nice list for new comer, most ordinary ppl would say in your age Metallica, Anthrax

bit of a generalization

for her and my and your age those were bands we started as teenagers usually
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2015 - 20:39
no one
Account deleted
What you been into lately?....metallica ?
22.03.2015 - 21:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.03.2015 at 20:39

What you been into lately?....metallica ?

negative
all genres, and so on what I always have to
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2015 - 21:25
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Really been into industrial metal recently especially ones with futuristic and electronic atmospheres. This list http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=1077 basically started it for me.
23.03.2015 - 02:11
MetCanMeshAnt

Right now the genre that I have been listening to the most has been thrash. And it was started off by Exodus. I was listening to some music in my car and came across the song Blacklist from Tempo of the Damned and I had forgotten about how good that album was. So I listened to it a few times and then the other albums I have by them. Exodus is very underrated in my opinion.
20.04.2015 - 01:59
nuttyflavors

I prefer variety, just look at my collections below:

My entire black metal CD collection plus a DVD and some black/death bands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121621202578?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

My entire Death Metal and Grindcore CD collection plus DVD, 7 inch etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121621886904?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

My entire EXTREME METAL CD COLLECTION!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121623873279?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

My entire power metal and thrash metal CD collection, rare, autographs, imports

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121626244252?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
----
My entire black metal CD collection plus a DVD and some black/death bands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121621202578?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649