02. Ghost Of Perdition
03. Under The Weeping Moon
04. Bleak
05. Face Of Melinda
06. The Night And The Silent Water
07. Windowpane
08. Blackwater Park
09. Demon Of The Fall

Recorded live on November 9th, 2006 at the Camden Roadhouse (London), "The Roundhouse Tapes" is the second official DVD of the genius band from Sweden, Opeth. After seven amazing and acclaimed albums, it was a good moment to release a new live recording and Opeth chose one of the best venues of London to record it and asked to the famous British label Peaceville 'one of their first partners) to produce it. The result is a beautiful release and for sure all the people who love this amazing combo will have to buy this DVD as soon as possible. We're in front of a great live my friends!

You'll not be disappointed by "The Roundhouse Tapes", especially if you have seen Opeth live during their last tour with Peter Lindgren. This DVD is a perfect way to understand how the Swedish band is on stage. As always in a really peaceful atmosphere and with his really deep voice, Mikael Åkerfeldt talks to the audience and presents his music between each songs, that's something that I will ever remember (I saw the band in Paris in 2006), only some few bands (and band members) have this kind of charisma on stage. These guys don't have to scream or anything to "live", they just have to be here to produce a mystical aura in the whole venue. During more than one hour and thirty minutes Opeth played nine songs (that's not a lot but you all know that Opeth's trademark means songs of height minutes minimum). One more time it was perfectly done and all the songs sound like on CD. The voice of Åkerfeldt was pure like crystal and the four other guys were excellent this night too.

The DVD is not full of bonuses. Except a little video recording of the sound check and funny but not so interesting, interviews of some metalheads at the end of the show, there is nothing else featured on the DVD. But the image is excellent and the venue rocks, this is well filmed except that it's a bit too fast sometime (the cameras cannot stay on the guitarists during the soli...). The sound is excellent; we can see the audience who is really active and it's always fun to see Mikael Arkeftl doing his little "dirty" jokes between the songs. Despite the length of the concert which is a bit short (Opeth will have to play two hours soon...), there is nothing to say against this DVD which is, in my opinion, better than the previous one in reason of an excellent and violent set-list. Sure some songs are missing but we cannot have everything anyway right?

The DVD version of "The Roundhouse Tapes" is a must for all the fans of Opeth. And the good thing here is that it should also please the old fans who are not really into the last albums because with songs like "When", "Blackwater Park" or "Demon Of The Fall" they will get good violent riffs and tempos. Nothing to add here, "The Roundhouse Tapes" is just classy and this is highly recommended to the metalheads who love the Swedish combo. "The Roundhouse Tapes" is one of the best DVDs released this year!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: -
Originality: -
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 05.11.2008

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 421 users
06.11.2008 - 05:57
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I expected nothing less from Opeth. I don't know if I want this though. The absence of any songs off of Deliverance bugs me, and like the CD version it goes by way to fast. If this had more then one show on it I'd definitely pick it up.
----
Coldgrits
06.11.2008 - 06:57
Rating: 9
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, Opeth, perfect as always, nuff said, the only problem I find with this is that they should have recorded another gig, like the Alive In Athens by Iced Earth, it could have been great considering they can't play many songs because of the length of them.

Good review by the way.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
06.11.2008 - 09:28
Rating: 10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm still waiting for that DVD to get here. Can't wait.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.11.2008 - 14:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have just listened to it recently... Seeing it would be great. Especially, I'm curious about the "anal or blowjob seat"
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.11.2008 - 17:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Nectar [my favorite song] is not here... But I really don't care because the tracklist is really really good and it has songs from almost every album.

I will defenetely buy Opeth's DVD's... I just hope I have the money, good review!
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2008 - 19:36
-Soulreaper-

I agree with the review, just a very well done live DVD. Plus it is Opeth and they never dissapoint. Set could have been a little longer in my opinion, but if the fans had a say in how long they would play, it would be about a 4 to 5 hour show.
06.11.2008 - 22:25
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Same here BloodTears.. I have the cd's but I want that dvd so bad! I'm gonna die if I don't get it soon!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
07.11.2008 - 01:04
Arcesse Eum

I was so happy to see some really old stuff played, it sounds amazing... Im a little sick and tired of Windowpane though.
----
As above, so below.
07.11.2008 - 10:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Dark Blood on 06.11.2008 at 22:25

Same here BloodTears.. I have the cd's but I want that dvd so bad! I'm gonna die if I don't get it soon!

It was the same thing with DT's Chaos in Motion I had to wait almost a month until it got here. I think it will be the same with Opeth, maybe at the end of this month. Maybe it'll have to be a xmas gift.

things never get here on time.
----

My Instagram
07.11.2008 - 17:30
Urizen367

I have yet to see this dvd, though i want to. i guess i'm a little weary after Lamentations' Akerfeldt Orifice Cam
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
07.11.2008 - 17:38
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 07.11.2008 at 10:55

Written by Dark Blood on 06.11.2008 at 22:25

It was the same thing with DT's Chaos in Motion I had to wait almost a month until it got here. I think it will be the same with Opeth, maybe at the end of this month. Maybe it'll have to be a xmas gift.

things never get here on time.

Yeah.. that's our country.. well, but we can always order it online
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
07.11.2008 - 18:14
Harlequin Devon

Written by Urizen367 on 07.11.2008 at 17:30

I have yet to see this dvd, though i want to. i guess i'm a little weary after Lamentations' Akerfeldt Orifice Cam

That was the best part!
08.11.2008 - 09:07
RockeRoy

Can't wait to see it;)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
12.11.2008 - 21:04
-Soulreaper-

Oh man, I finally had the time and watched this DVD last night and it was just amazing. Very well done and the band is just as wonderful as usual.
14.11.2008 - 05:54
opeth771

Best DVD ever from the best band of the planet.. as simple as that
21.11.2008 - 21:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Having watched this DVD, I think that Opeth is the best band nowadays I know. Great performance, great sound and atmosphere. Opeth at their best. And I like Mikael's hair more on this DVD than on Lamentations
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.12.2008 - 05:31
Stuart
MiseryKing
I was at this gig and i've seen Opeth 4 other times, this was the least enjoyable show of theirs I ever attended, it was the venue, the venue simply didn't suite a metal show, i didn't like the place at all... bad lighting from my memory as well... and poor sound... well maybe not poor but just soft... haven't seen the dvd yet, so it will be interesting to see how my memory compares to the screen... Paradise Lost opened this night, they were boring as fuck... the other thing that made this night shit was their was no smoking inside the venue (this was before the england introduced the smoking ban)... i can think of much better venue they played in London to record a DVD.
14.12.2008 - 11:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Well now that I have the DVD I can say it's really a treat. Great songs, great setlist, the crowd seemed ok lol Night nd the Silent Water and Under the Weeping Moon! Those alone are worth the DVD.

They are a great live band, although there's some nostalgia by watching Lindgren playing there. He always looks contrived when he's playing though.

Blackwater Park and When, what more do you want? Maybe more Still Life songs? lol Maybe next time. As I said before, somewhere here in MS, it's a DVD for the fans, it gives us a bit of everything and we cant help but enjoy it.
----

My Instagram
14.12.2008 - 14:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 14.12.2008 at 11:13

They are a great live band, although there's some nostalgia by watching Lindgren playing there. He always looks contrived when he's playing though.

I didn't know that Lindgren was on that concert...
* Runs to mom's room *

- MOM!!! I know what I want for Christmas!!!
My expectations are high But an Opeth dvd can't let me down. Specially with songs from their firsts albums.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.12.2008 - 14:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.12.2008 at 14:09

Written by BloodTears on 14.12.2008 at 11:13

I didn't know that Lindgren was on that concert...
* Runs to mom's room *

- MOM!!! I know what I want for Christmas!!!
My expectations are high But an Opeth dvd can't let me down. Specially with songs from their firsts albums.

Yes, Lindgren still played in Opeth at the time, where the hell have you been?

Sounds like a good gift, it definately won't disappoint.
----

My Instagram
14.12.2008 - 15:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 14.12.2008 at 14:52

Yes, Lindgren still played in Opeth at the time, where the hell have you been?

I wasn't reading the review quite well I guess...

And I'm also busy with other bands/genres that I wasn't into them at the time I heard Opeth everyday XP.
It gets harder everyday to pay attetion to just one band. And is a pain in the ass to you think about 2 cds [or DVDs] for christmas.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2008 - 00:41
Rating: 8
Hamird
Lieutenant
The set-list is not very good to me, there are just a few songs in this DVD which are my favorite.. But I surely will got it.. Because the performance in their previous DVD was awesome.. So I hope the same thing happen again for me by this new one.
22.12.2008 - 02:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Hamird on 22.12.2008 at 00:41

The set-list is not very good to me, there are just a few songs in this DVD which are my favorite.. But I surely will got it.. Because the performance in their previous DVD was awesome.. So I hope the same thing happen again for me by this new one.

I agree... The songs are good. But not my personal favorites.

The DVD could have been a killer for me if the songs When, Under The Weeping Moon, Bleak, The Night And The Silent Water and Windowpane

Were replaced [in the same order] by the songs: "April Ethereal", "In Mist She Was Standing", "Serenity Painted Death", "Nectar" [damn... that's my favorite Opeth-song... I have to hear that one live] and "To Rid the Disease".

But I can be mad at them... The track list is still good enough to buy this DVD and fully enjoy it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.12.2008 - 12:33
Rating: 8
Hamird
Lieutenant
I got it recently, but it isn't as killer as their previous DVD, however the performances were great, but maybe the set-list is the reason that I didn't like it much.. But in overall it is a good DVD.
25.12.2009 - 13:01
JunN_Vai

Killer dvd

Hits total: 11531 | This month: 23