N/A
Band: Crooked X
Album: Promo 2008
Style: Hard rock
Release date: 2008

01. Gone
02. Rock N' Roll Dream
03. Time Is Now

So, here we have Crooked X, a hard rock newcomer straight from Oklahoma. If you live in the U.S., you may already have heard of them, if not, pay attention.

What's all the fuss about?

Whenever I encounter a fresh band that's getting tons of hype I always approach it with caution, even more so when that hype is primarily coming from the band themselves. In this case however, Crooked X has more to show than a flaming self-exaltation on their biography page. They seem to have gotten EMI to back them up, The CBS and Ted Nugent gave them praise (among others) and the PC-game ?Rock Band" felt enough to add them to their catalog. Also, the band members' parents say they're happy with whatever their boys are doing.

Wait, what?

Well, the band's average age is 14. Yes, you heard me right - fourteen years. I actually feel like a bit of a bastard for bringing that up cause the band claims they'd prefer people to hear their music first and then come upon the fact about their young age. And seriously, you'd never guess it without google'ing for it first like a geek that you are (go ahead, I know you want to).

So are they any good?

Indeed they are, even for a band not comprised of Kiss face paint sporting preteens. In fact, they'll make all guys named Marvin, who at the glorious age of 40 are still trying to make it with their <insert random band name> in their parents' garage grit and grind their teeth. Coming back to Kiss face paint, the obvious flaw in Crooked X's style is the lack of originality. The first track, ?Gone", starts identically to ?God Gave Rock N' Roll To You" whereas the second song "Rock N' Roll Dream" seems to have come straight off any AC/DC record (The title seems oddly familiar, doesn't it?). That, however, is the only place where the age factor plays a role in the band's music since apart from the guys' young influential minds, the EP sounds brilliant. The vocals, the sound, the production, and most importantly, the rock'n'roll vibe - it's all there. Actually, even the blatant riff-off's can be forgiven, seems as the band is aiming for radio-friendly rock anyway and let's face it, music in the radio world hardly leads a linear life these days. The only truly sucky thing is that you can't fornicate in any way while listening to Crooked X as that would probably land you on the ?local known pedophiles" list.

Who am I in comparison?

Let's put it this way - at the age of 14, these guys are probably getting more tail than you ever will.

Fuck you, Destroyah! Oh wait, you're right? Anyways, when can I expect more?

The band's self-titled debut album sees the light of day in January, so try to keep your pants on till then. Be sure to check back with Metal Storm as we'll be taking a look at the disc as soon as it's out to issue the final verdict. I wouldn't expect too much originality, but it seems that Crooked X is definitely one to keep your eyes on.

Written by destroyah | 06.11.2008

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 78 users
06.11.2008 - 14:14
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Those kids look like faggot's... I'll stab them if I ever see them, then they'll yell out "OH GOD I JUST GOT STABBED!!!!"....
----
Coldgrits
06.11.2008 - 15:47
Arcesse Eum
HAHAHAHAHAH!
----
As above, so below.
06.11.2008 - 16:50
Talvi
Because they are young doesn't mean it's gonna be good. Probably it will be shit or mediocre, but they'll gain experience so, if they want to make good music when they are more mature, they'll have the experience and the skill to do so.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
06.11.2008 - 17:09
destroyah
supercharger
elite
Written by Talvi on 06.11.2008 at 16:50

Because they are young doesn't mean it's gonna be good.

I can only hope you did not manage to read that out of the text. As for the age thing, at least it's great to see young kids dusting off the old tunes, rocking out (and being quite good at it). As I said, in a couple of months time we'll see how their first full length will turn out.

As for the other comments - well, it's always a pleasure reading the opinions of some of the more intelligent users here.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
06.11.2008 - 17:52
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
At first I saw how young they were and thought what a gimmick, just like Black Tide and Jetstream. Then I saw the Slipknot shirt and thought well they definitely suck, what a bad influence. To top it off I read "Ted Nugent gave them praise".

But when I actually listened to their MySpace I have to admit that they definitely have that classic rock vibe, and it's really not all that bad. Nice review destroyah and thanks for opening my mind a little more.

Quote:
Let's put it this way - at the age of 14, these guys are probably getting more tail than you ever will.

Haha true that... from their MySpace:
♥Nikki♥ - thanks for the add keep rocking out!! hope to meet u guys sometime!:) Nicole
morgannn - hey tell ur lead singer to add me(:
Tam! - yall's were hot in orlando! come back again!
ARiEL - TOTALLY COOL! You make me like rock!!! lols seriously original band and I luv it!! (<Moron BTW)
06.11.2008 - 19:05
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.11.2008 at 17:52
Written by destroyah on 06.11.2008 at 14:00
Well. That sucks...
But, lucky are them!

About the music, I expect their sound to be something good! I'll listen to their sound as soon as I can, so I'll be able to speak well or bad of them!

Obs.: I can't listen to it now because I'm at work and websites as MySpace are blocked here (and the computers don't have soundbox to avoid us to listen music. That's mean !)!
----
Last.fm
06.11.2008 - 19:45
Talvi
Written by destroyah on 06.11.2008 at 17:09

Written by Talvi on 06.11.2008 at 16:50

Because they are young doesn't mean it's gonna be good.

I can only hope you did not manage to read that out of the text. As for the age thing, at least it's great to see young kids dusting off the old tunes, rocking out (and being quite good at it). As I said, in a couple of months time we'll see how their first full length will turn out.

As for the other comments - well, it's always a pleasure reading the opinions of some of the more intelligent users here.

So what if a more professional band released the same music as these one? I think you are overrating them just because they are 14.

I'm sorry to be less intelligent that the other people... may be the age.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
06.11.2008 - 20:35
Fat & Sassy!
elite
I've heard a couple of their songs, and they were kinda mediocre. Not bad, just not all that interesting. But hey, if they can put out OK stuff at 14, what kinda stuff are they going to be putting out when they mature a bit?
06.11.2008 - 21:38
PrettyMao
As a professional hater on the internet I have this to say...

So here we have young 14 year old boys playing rock, already signed to EMI and have tons of preteen female fans... Perhaps EMI is simply trying to create their own version of the Jonas Brothers (It's Jonas, right?) to tap into the much desired preteen market...

*No research was done in forming this opinion and no future research will be done. HATE HATE HATE!!
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
06.11.2008 - 22:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by PrettyMao on 06.11.2008 at 21:38

So here we have young 14 year old boys playing rock, already signed to EMI and have tons of preteen female fans... Perhaps EMI is simply trying to create their own version of the Jonas Brothers (It's Jonas, right?) to tap into the much desired preteen market...

*No research was done in forming this opinion and no future research will be done. HATE HATE HATE!!

Yes, it is Satan's original plan to put all the money in the hands of 14-year-olds and we can watch as these child stars crumble and wither under the extreme scrutiny of the masses. HAHAHAHA Fuck these kids that are more talented than me, what we really want is American Idol rejects to laugh at!
07.11.2008 - 22:03
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.11.2008 at 22:00

Written by PrettyMao on 06.11.2008 at 21:38

Yes, it is Satan's original plan to put all the money in the hands of 14-year-olds and we can watch as these child stars crumble and wither under the extreme scrutiny of the masses. HAHAHAHA Fuck these kids that are more talented than me, what we really want is American Idol rejects to laugh at!

Kerry Underwood! Yessssssssssssssss!!! Or that Daughtry (I don't know if that's correct spelling or not. He doesn't deserve it.) guy! RAW.
08.11.2008 - 01:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This music is terrible - I don't care how young they are. I'm sure any fourteen year old who has been playing guitar for a bit could play those riffs and compose similar songs.

Hits total: 4403 | This month: 7