Metal Storm logo
Neurosis

Original post

Posted by LethargyMan, 01.07.2006 - 20:40
Neurosis started as a hardcore punk band in late 1985 in California, as in their first few albums, Pain of Mind and The Word as Law. They did manage to differentiate themseles in this genre though - songs lasting over four minutes and lyrical themes different from the rest of the 'scene.'

It was on their third album, Souls at Zero (released in 1992), that their sound crossed over into something closer to their sludge/avantgarde metal sound Neurosis is known for. Enemy of the Sun was released in the following year, and was a landmark album for the band, greatly utilizing heavy tribal percussion and crunchy guitar work, while vocalist Steve von Till screamed with raw power and strain. This sound expanded further in their next album, Through Silver in Blood, which put an even greater focus on repetition and percussion. Times of Grace in 1999, was released, keeping the same raw attitude and powerful lyrics as their prior albums, but was, at times, a bit slower and lighter than their prior works.

It was first on their Soverign EP, released in the following year, that Neurosis's sound began to drastically change once again - changes that were prominent on their following LP, A Sun that Never Sets. Clean vocals, wider ranges of instrumentation, and very prominent "soft" parts - and yet the intricate songwork and power remained much the same. In 2003, Neurosis collaborated with the singer of the band The Swans, a band who seemed to influence Neurosis's sound, and created an album Neurosis and Jarboe. The music on this album was just as strong as the band's other works, though was telling of the sound to come in their following album.

Their latest album, The Eye of Every Storm evolved this sound further. As one reviewer put it "While Neurosis's previous albums were basically works of metallic ferociousness with some eerie minimalism mixed in, "The Eye of Every Storm" is an eerily minimal album with some metallic fury occasionally injected to provide a bit of catharsis." The band is currently working on a new album.

Neurosis's music has been extremely influential in the avantgarde metal genre, influencing the sounds of many bands: Isis, Pelican, The Red Sparowes, and soforth. Members have been involved in many projects as well - the most ambitious being their ambient band, the Tribes of Neurot. The two vocalists, von Till and Scott Kelly, have also released solo albums, collaborated with other bands, and formed their own record company, Neurot recordings.

I think they're pretty good. Any other fans out there?
19.07.2009 - 22:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2009 at 14:16

Written by Dangerboner on 19.07.2009 at 06:23

Has anyone heard Josh's side project, A Storm of Light? They're some sort of death/doom band, and they aren't bad at all....

Saw about half of A Storm Of Light's set at Roadburn and it was quite enjoyable. Still need to check them out on album though.

My friend saw them here with Neurosis and he said that they were really intense live and even better than Neurosis. I don't know where I was because I didn't even know they were coming
24.10.2009 - 23:23
Entropic Silence

Love this band. Haven't heard anything like them before. One of the few metal bands who use chords really well. i mean really well. Through Silver in blood is the album I'm loving at the moment.

Never thought I'd hear really minimalistic music that was this good.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
04.12.2009 - 00:26
whatsacow

Through Silver in Blood is an absolutely brilliant album. Experimental/Avant Garde bands should really learn from these guys as to how to make a truly challenging yet minimalistic album.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.05.2010 - 10:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.05.2010 - 13:32
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by whatsacow on 04.12.2009 at 00:26

Through Silver in Blood is an absolutely brilliant album. Experimental/Avant Garde bands should really learn from these guys as to how to make a truly challenging yet minimalistic album.

I wouldn't call it 'minimalistic', given all the layers of sound there are... This said, I totally agree with you
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.05.2010 - 02:19
whatsacow

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.05.2010 at 13:32

I wouldn't call it 'minimalistic', given all the layers of sound there are... This said, I totally agree with you

There are many layers there, but what the instruments themselves are minimalistic.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.05.2010 - 07:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by whatsacow on 03.05.2010 at 02:19

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.05.2010 at 13:32

There are many layers there, but what the instruments themselves are minimalistic.

Yeah I suppose we could say that...
----

I am awake"
17.09.2010 - 20:37
RobertNowhere

I think they may be my all-time favourite band...so yeah, im a fan

i happened across their early 7inch singles, which as you say, were more hardcore punk than metal...but still just ripping...

what a long, strange trip it's been with these cats...
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
17.09.2010 - 20:38
RobertNowhere

They get better with the passage of time, i get worse...

but somehow, it all works...
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
05.08.2018 - 18:00
VIG
Account deleted
I know no one posts in these forums anymore, but apparently this article was written in the local newspaper in Portland, OR, and while some may find it cheesy, I think it was very well written:

Quote:

You and I will die, but Neurosis will live forever. My bones and your bones and even Tom Cruise's bones will be pulverized by time. Neurosis, exempt from all natural laws, will watch us die. They will watch as we merge with mud. They will make a powerful album about our slow decomposition. It will be a triumph, but there will be no humans left to hear it. Neurosis will rule a kingdom of worms and crows, and they will make music for the stars. They'll even play their old stuff. "To Crawl Under One's Skin" will be thousands of years old, hundreds of thousands of years old, but it will still sound fucking punishing. The song will scream across the barren land upon which we once trod and cannon-ball into the fiery sea. It will be beautiful. It will always be beautiful.
12.08.2018 - 19:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Nice text indeed.

Revolver posted a really interesting two-parts docu/interview with Scott Kelly; lost interesting bits of the band's history, and loads of footage too

----

I am awake"