Metal Storm logo
Neurosis

01.07.2006 - 20:40
LethargyMan
Neurosis started as a hardcore punk band in late 1985 in California, as in their first few albums, Pain of Mind and The Word as Law. They did manage to differentiate themseles in this genre though - songs lasting over four minutes and lyrical themes different from the rest of the 'scene.'

It was on their third album, Souls at Zero (released in 1992), that their sound crossed over into something closer to their sludge/avantgarde metal sound Neurosis is known for. Enemy of the Sun was released in the following year, and was a landmark album for the band, greatly utilizing heavy tribal percussion and crunchy guitar work, while vocalist Steve von Till screamed with raw power and strain. This sound expanded further in their next album, Through Silver in Blood, which put an even greater focus on repetition and percussion. Times of Grace in 1999, was released, keeping the same raw attitude and powerful lyrics as their prior albums, but was, at times, a bit slower and lighter than their prior works.

It was first on their Soverign EP, released in the following year, that Neurosis's sound began to drastically change once again - changes that were prominent on their following LP, A Sun that Never Sets. Clean vocals, wider ranges of instrumentation, and very prominent "soft" parts - and yet the intricate songwork and power remained much the same. In 2003, Neurosis collaborated with the singer of the band The Swans, a band who seemed to influence Neurosis's sound, and created an album Neurosis and Jarboe. The music on this album was just as strong as the band's other works, though was telling of the sound to come in their following album.

Their latest album, The Eye of Every Storm evolved this sound further. As one reviewer put it "While Neurosis's previous albums were basically works of metallic ferociousness with some eerie minimalism mixed in, "The Eye of Every Storm" is an eerily minimal album with some metallic fury occasionally injected to provide a bit of catharsis." The band is currently working on a new album.

Neurosis's music has been extremely influential in the avantgarde metal genre, influencing the sounds of many bands: Isis, Pelican, The Red Sparowes, and soforth. Members have been involved in many projects as well - the most ambitious being their ambient band, the Tribes of Neurot. The two vocalists, von Till and Scott Kelly, have also released solo albums, collaborated with other bands, and formed their own record company, Neurot recordings.

I think they're pretty good. Any other fans out there?
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
02.07.2006 - 20:08
Nathan Lurker
I'm just discovering them but right now I like A Sun that Never Sets and The Eye of Every Storm. I also enjoy Steve Von Till's solo work. They've influenced the whole genre...Isis, Pelican, Capricorns, Red Sparowes...
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
03.07.2006 - 22:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I have both "A Sun that Never Sets" and "The Eye of Every Storm" as well - and enjoy them both thoroughly. I plan on purchasing more of their albums in the near future.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.07.2006 - 22:41
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Neurosis used to be noisecore in its purest form and nowadays they stray pretty close to post-rock territories...
Definitely a superb band, I still consider "Times Of Grace" to be one of the most extreme records I have ever heard, it totally floors me everytime I hear it.
04.07.2006 - 02:29
Southern Wind
Account deleted
My favourite Neurosis album is "Through Silver In Blood", wth its unleashed razor-blade heaviness that makes you feel like an insect against the floor... and yes, "Times Of Grace" is also a masterpiece...

I know that Tribes of Neurot released that album that is meant to be played along with Times Of Grace... anyonw heard that?
04.07.2006 - 08:56
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am a fan. I haven't heard a lot of their earlier material, but I own 'The Eye of Every Storm' and I really enjoy it. It's amazing the emotions they can convey with such minimalism.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.07.2006 - 20:53
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.07.2006 at 02:29

My favourite Neurosis album is "Through Silver In Blood", wth its unleashed razor-blade heaviness that makes you feel like an insect against the floor... and yes, "Times Of Grace" is also a masterpiece...

I know that Tribes of Neurot released that album that is meant to be played along with Times Of Grace... anyonw heard that?

If I'm correct it's called 'Grace', but I've never listened to it (with or without Times of Grace).

I'm also a fan, this band has a fantastic ability to write really heavy, crushing song (like pounding you to the floor) and yet so much emotions grip you... Neurosis is definitively INTENSE. Too much for some people (like my girlfriend). Want a proof ? Listen to Stones from the Sky, the last song of A Sun That Never Sets, it's avaible for download on Neurosis official website.
My favorite (for now ?) is Souls at Zero. The main riff of To Crawl... Flight, A Chronology For Survival...

For those around that don't the band yet, I think Times of Grace would be a good one to start... unless you absolutely don't like slow, heavy songs (... slow deep and hard ...). I haven't listened to The Eye of Every Storm, but A Sun That Never Sets is really really emotionally intense.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
09.08.2006 - 18:45
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
I have heard about "Grace" and i am really interested to listen to it. Neurosis are a great band and i think that along with Celtic Frost they created Sludge. My favourite albums from Neurosis are "Times Of Grace" and "Through Silver And Blood". They are so fucking awesome.
09.08.2006 - 21:55
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.08.2006 at 18:45

I have heard about "Grace" and i am really interested to listen to it. Neurosis are a great band and i think that along with Celtic Frost they created Sludge. My favourite albums from Neurosis are "Times Of Grace" and "Through Silver And Blood". They are so fucking awesome.

Nothing more far from reality... Neurosis never played sludge, and sludge hasn't ANY roots in Metal, so I truly "doubt" the genre could had been created by Celtic Frost.
27.08.2006 - 00:38
Windshear
Account deleted
I reallyh want their stuff from Souls at Zero on. I have Eye and it's pretty good.
01.09.2006 - 10:00
SkinChamber
Account deleted
One of my all time influential bands, I love everything they have ever done. Seeing them live is the ultimate in audio and visual, I highly recommend you see these guy's live, it will be an experience you will never forget.
06.09.2006 - 19:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I love the way (at least on the later albums) that they build a tension that you keep thinking is going to erupt in a pyroclastic explosion of metal glory but never does... it acts to string the tension along.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.10.2006 - 05:35
Solaris
Account deleted
I really love this band, they have to be seen live to really "get" it. The first time I saw them they opened with a 12/13 minute version of Cleanse, the tribal drumming is just amazing to hear/witness in person. I have most of their stuff at this stage (apart from the Official Bootlegs & some rare stuff), I got some recently I have yet to listen to. Just heard the Sovereign EP today & it blew me away. I never really got into Times Of Grace though, I prefer Enemy Of The Sun, Through Silver In Blood & the Neurosis & Jarboe album (wow!). I can't wait to sit down & check out A Sun That Never Sets. It's good how they can be (in my case anyway) the "gateway" band, leading on to Isis, Cult Of Luna, Pelican, Callisto, Mono and so on...

I have to say though, I don't particularly like the early stuff, the hardcore/noisecore/whatever-you-call-it side, just not my scene. I prefer the more emotion-heavy sounding stuff, the crushing intensity they project with their "trademark" sounding stuff.
05.11.2006 - 21:32
rebelos
Account deleted
i like the way they turned from hardcore to avantgarde to post rock and then to... emotional something!
they are really unique!
my favorite would be "Through Silver..." along with "A Sun That..."
i am looking for "Grace", want to hear it along with "Times..."
that would be awesome!!!
06.11.2006 - 06:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was wondering if anyone is a fan of their early material which is basically Hardcore Punk. I think they pulled it off really well. Anyone a fan?
----
The force will be with you, always.
07.11.2006 - 00:24
LethargyMan
Their old stuff was all right. I listen to Pain of Mind occasionally, but as far as hardcore/noise punk is concerned, it's nothing spectacular. Souls at Zero, however, is probably one of my favouite Neurosis albums.
----
07.11.2006 - 03:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 06.11.2006 at 06:39

I was wondering if anyone is a fan of their early material which is basically Hardcore Punk. I think they pulled it off really well. Anyone a fan?

not me... I personally prefer their middle-era crushingly heavy stuff...
06.01.2007 - 07:20
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.11.2006 at 03:04

Written by Clintagräm on 06.11.2006 at 06:39

not me... I personally prefer their middle-era crushingly heavy stuff...

you crazy...their old shit is awsome....but their times of grace era shit is alot better i'll agree...

oh btw....does anyone else feel Avant Garde is becoming kind of a overused and dumb title as of late?....besides i never Considered Neurosis Avant Garde...i just considered them an Experimental Doom band of some sort....but thats just my opinion..

and also....i have this feeling that after the major's are done milking the metalcore/emo trend fo every penny..,.they'll be having their sights set on hydrahead,Neurot recordings and every other band that's labelled "avant Garde" or "Post Metal"....i just see it happening. Isis is becoming huge as well as Neurosis....and Mastodon already signed to a ,major...not thats its a big deal...but its just bullshit how soul-less the mainstream can be
07.01.2007 - 01:58
LethargyMan
Well, I actually would argue that Neurosis somewhat avantgarde for having a strong emphasis on alternative instrumentation... but even in that sense it's a tad strong compared to other avantgarde acts.

Post-metal would be the more appropriate for many of these "avantgarde" bands... the music ceases to be avantgarde when the style becomes more popular and more imitated.

As far as this stuff becoming too trendy, littered with meme bands propped up by big record companies... we'll just have to wait and see. I wouldn't put it past Aaron Turner to be the one to ruin the style.
----
09.01.2007 - 01:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Checked their site today, as it seems "Eye" has been out for a while... sure enough, they're hitting the studios again:

Neurosis is about to hit the studio in Chicago with Steve Albini at Electrical Audio. The first tone goes to tape on December 27th, and the album will be wrapped up before the live dates in California in mid-January.

If you live in Los Angeles or San Francisco, come and see Neurosis play some new material and some other songs we haven't heard for a long time. They're playing material from six albums in this set, so brace yourself for an onslaught like you haven't seen for some time. Ask anyone who was in Seattle or Portland, and then go get a ticket. Red Sparowes and Grails will be opening so get there early.
----

30.03.2007 - 19:32
rebelos
Account deleted
new album has leaked and it's dope once more
30.03.2007 - 22:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I was surprised when i listened to a pirate copy of "Given To The Rising"... I expected a continuation on the evolution, something mysterious, atmospheric and even post-rock influenced as "The Eye Of Every Storm", maybe that sound even taken to the extreme, but no, it seems to be a regression to their crushing middle-era.
31.03.2007 - 00:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
i cannot wait to get my hands on it. will probably challenge jesu as my choice for post-metal/alt-metal/<insert critics choice of word here because they dare not admit to liking a metal album> metal album of the year.
----

31.03.2007 - 01:13
Southern Wind
Account deleted
It will be difficult for Jesu to lose that prize this year
08.04.2007 - 03:45
aven_d
http://www.neurotrecordings.com/artists/neurosis/audio/Neurosis-WaterIsNotEnough.mp3

Believe it. IMO, Neurosis are back to the sort of form they displayed on 'Through Silver in Blood'. Having influenced a slew of excellent bands from todays scene (Isis, Minsk, Mouth of the Architect) I'm so glad they're back releasing an album on their own indie label NEUROT Recordings.

In case you didn't know vocalist Scott Kelly hosts a twice weekly online radio show COMBATMUSICRADIO playing a diverse range of hardcore, crust and original independent heavy music. Its a diverse listen and coherent to todays scene, he's a very knowledgeable dude, i rarely miss it.

Check it: www.combatmusicradio.com

Also Kelly is hooking up with (motherfuckin') Wino! and OM (the rhytm section from Sleep) for a new musical project called Shrinebuilder. Can't bloody wait!
----
Think for yourself, question authority. :dfire:
09.04.2007 - 21:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by aven_d on 08.04.2007 at 03:45

Also Kelly is hooking up with (motherfuckin') Wino! and OM (the rhytm section from Sleep) for a new musical project called Shrinebuilder. Can't bloody wait!

I will be checking into both. Wino + Kelly + bits of Sleep sounds very intriguing.
----

09.04.2007 - 23:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 09.04.2007 at 21:09

Written by aven_d on 08.04.2007 at 03:45

I will be checking into both. Wino + Kelly + bits of Sleep sounds very intriguing.

no, what did they taught you in maths?
the correct formula for "awesome shit" = Kelly + OM - Wino
12.04.2007 - 07:51
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
i love them i think theyre the heaviest band in the world they scare me hahaha probably the best band to listen to drunk
23.05.2007 - 00:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
ugh. looks like "Given to the Rising" release date was delayed from today until 6/5.
----

23.05.2007 - 05:09
LethargyMan
Written by BitterCOld on 23.05.2007 at 00:52

ugh. looks like "Given to the Rising" release date was delayed from today until 6/5.

Actually... I never actually heard of any official release date from these guys or a press release. The only way I found out was by looking at the amazon.com listing.
----