Metal Storm logo
Neurosis

Original post

Posted by LethargyMan, 01.07.2006 - 20:40
Neurosis started as a hardcore punk band in late 1985 in California, as in their first few albums, Pain of Mind and The Word as Law. They did manage to differentiate themseles in this genre though - songs lasting over four minutes and lyrical themes different from the rest of the 'scene.'

It was on their third album, Souls at Zero (released in 1992), that their sound crossed over into something closer to their sludge/avantgarde metal sound Neurosis is known for. Enemy of the Sun was released in the following year, and was a landmark album for the band, greatly utilizing heavy tribal percussion and crunchy guitar work, while vocalist Steve von Till screamed with raw power and strain. This sound expanded further in their next album, Through Silver in Blood, which put an even greater focus on repetition and percussion. Times of Grace in 1999, was released, keeping the same raw attitude and powerful lyrics as their prior albums, but was, at times, a bit slower and lighter than their prior works.

It was first on their Soverign EP, released in the following year, that Neurosis's sound began to drastically change once again - changes that were prominent on their following LP, A Sun that Never Sets. Clean vocals, wider ranges of instrumentation, and very prominent "soft" parts - and yet the intricate songwork and power remained much the same. In 2003, Neurosis collaborated with the singer of the band The Swans, a band who seemed to influence Neurosis's sound, and created an album Neurosis and Jarboe. The music on this album was just as strong as the band's other works, though was telling of the sound to come in their following album.

Their latest album, The Eye of Every Storm evolved this sound further. As one reviewer put it "While Neurosis's previous albums were basically works of metallic ferociousness with some eerie minimalism mixed in, "The Eye of Every Storm" is an eerily minimal album with some metallic fury occasionally injected to provide a bit of catharsis." The band is currently working on a new album.

Neurosis's music has been extremely influential in the avantgarde metal genre, influencing the sounds of many bands: Isis, Pelican, The Red Sparowes, and soforth. Members have been involved in many projects as well - the most ambitious being their ambient band, the Tribes of Neurot. The two vocalists, von Till and Scott Kelly, have also released solo albums, collaborated with other bands, and formed their own record company, Neurot recordings.

I think they're pretty good. Any other fans out there?
23.05.2007 - 06:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am listening to the new track from their new album right now on their myspace for the first time in a few months and am really enjoying like I remember I did the first time I listened to it. There is a lot more action in this song than most of their previous album, which mostly worked off of minimalism. I really enjoy the warm, swampy guitar production and the slow motion feeling of the music. It just pulls you to the ground and pins you there, crushing you, making it harder to breath wuth each passing second. At least that's the feeling I get from this one song. Anyway, good stuff. I will definitely have to check out the new album sometime.
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.06.2007 - 15:42
Throne of Rats
Times of Grace has to be one of the most beautiful, sad and depressing albums I've ever heard. Quite an amazing release easily my favorite I also like The Eye of Every Storm and Enemy of the Sun. All great releases. Great band.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
08.06.2007 - 19:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
finally got "Given to the Rising" last night - one listen through and I was extremely impressed. I cannot wait to give it another couple spins tonight.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.06.2007 - 10:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 08.06.2007 at 19:37

finally got "Given to the Rising" last night - one listen through and I was extremely impressed. I cannot wait to give it another couple spins tonight.

I got it last thursday (the 7th) and it's been spinning constantly and I am deeply impressed by it, at ties there however isa bit of Mastodon seeping through (not that I mind though)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2007 - 18:57
Deadsoulman
Elite
I bought it two weeks ago and am also very impressed by it. Some bits here and there remind me of Through Silver In Blood (my favourite Neurosis album) and Times Of Grace. I think they do the job much better when they keep their hardcore roots like on these albums than when they tend towards post-rock stuff like on The Eye Of Every Storm.
11.06.2007 - 05:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2007 at 10:21

Written by BitterCOld on 08.06.2007 at 19:37

I got it last thursday (the 7th) and it's been spinning constantly and I am deeply impressed by it, at ties there however isa bit of Mastodon seeping through (not that I mind though)

It's funny you mention that. If you check the interview in the Mastodon thread (26 minutes long, good interview with their thoughts on MP3 downloading and other subjects), Mastodon repeatedly mentions Neurosis as being one of their favorite bands and plug "Given to the Rising" as the best album released in years. "Since their last one," I believe, was their quote.

They mentioned a desire to somehow get schedules synched up and tour with them. That would be a great show.

Picked up "Through Silver in Blood" as well this week. Was scanning the liner notes and they took a moment to mention the old DPC (Downtown Performance Center) here in Tucson, AZ. Out of all the venues they'd undoubtedly played by that point in their careers, was nice to see the DPC singled out. Too bad it was torn down and leveled years ago.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.07.2007 - 03:27
Sonic Titan
Account deleted
neurosis is pretty good to get drunk too it sounds crazy but trust me like yaeh dude just chill with your friends and get drunk to neurosis its soo fuckin fun
27.07.2007 - 01:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I feel a bit frustrated for not getting yet into "Given To The Rising"... I had felt this a few times before... when you guess that something is big, and listen and listen again, but can't properly enjoy... lately, when I'm in the mood the heavy-crunching Neurosis I always pick "Through Silver In Blood" or "Times Of Grace", and when I'm for the atmospheric, otherwordly feeling I play "The Eye Of Every Storm"... somehow "Given To The Rising" is not an option anymore.
27.07.2007 - 03:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I've been alternating between "TSiB" and "GttR" lately when wanting their more aggressive stuff.

Those two, "tEoES" and "StNS" have also been in regular rotation.

"Times of Grace" is the odd man out. It's just a bit disturbing at times... the opening tracks always put me in a bad mood for some reason. I like them, but they are so abrasive that it riles me up a bit.
----

05.08.2007 - 12:19
Omni
Account deleted
I've heard many good things about this band and only just got my first Neurosis album, which happened to be their latest offering "Given to the Rising". I've been incredibly impressed with it, but just wondering how this album fits in quality-wise with the rest of their discography?
05.08.2007 - 14:42
Kideias
Account deleted
Listening to Neurosis is an experience something that is not easy to describe..Yhe first album that i had was The eye of every storm then it was TSIB and TOG and ASTNS.When i listened the last track stones from the sky i was really freaked out because i thought that i was tripping...it was something so familiar to me something like it was in my soul from the start ...It is the most depresing melody,riff,string i dunno how to say and it still rocks my soul every time i listen to it.And also the video(s) are unbelievable..The most wierd thing is that i was totaly sober that night.:bow: to Neurosis
06.08.2007 - 20:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 05.08.2007 at 12:19

I've heard many good things about this band and only just got my first Neurosis album, which happened to be their latest offering "Given to the Rising". I've been incredibly impressed with it, but just wondering how this album fits in quality-wise with the rest of their discography?

Quality wise, it fits in with the rest of their discography. I have five Neurosis albums, everything they've done since "Through Silver in Blood" and all of are exceptionally high quality. Some are more 'aggressive' and some more 'mellow' - but all are undeniably Neurosis.
----

10.08.2007 - 00:02
mankvill
I don't care for post-metal/avantgarde metal at all. I've heard one Neurosis song (don't ask me which one, I don't remember at all) and I didn't like it at all.
28.08.2007 - 03:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
an anti-neurosis rant ("fuck you neurosis" is the title) from Canada's answer to Beavis and Butthead.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2nwGdlurIlk&mode=related&search=

I guess they didn't like it because it wasn't metal enough or have guitar solos.

It's actually really amusing to watch just based upon how stupid and dense the guy is. Concepts like "art" or a deeper appreciation of creativity are wasted upon him.
----

12.10.2007 - 21:11
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I've listened to Times of Grace, Through Silver in Blood and Sovereign. I love their chaotic sludgy sound. Jesus, "The Doorway", "The Last You'll Know", "Eye", they're all so amazing. The experimentation with the atmosphere and different instruments is also something I enjoy a lot. However, I haven't yet heard much of their more recent tunes... but I did take a look on their myspace, and it does sound quite post-rockish, doesn't it?
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
01.12.2007 - 20:11
Pinusar
Account deleted
Listening to The Sun that Never Sets now, which I had been wanting to hear for quite a long time. I'm impressed with it, seems like a great record and it somehow feels really really hypnotic. I have a feeling I could listen to it whole day long...

What do you think about this album guys/girls?
02.12.2007 - 21:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Have given some of their latest albums a couple of spins lately. Wasn't sold on the spot, but definitely heard some stuff that I like. It might grow on me, who knows.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.12.2007 - 19:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
i was skeptical for the first few listens to "A Sun that Never Sets" - my first Neurosis album - but it grew on me. repeated listens, particularly later at night when reading... eventually it caught my interest enough to go out and buy "the Eye of Every Storm" which is the album that really, completely sold me on the band.

"Given to the Rising" is a pretty good place to start, in my opinion as it seems to embrace both their more choking, oppressive, and crushing past as well as their recent more atmospheric pieces.

i don't think they are an easy band to just dive right into, particularly if you are coming from more standard metal territory. (i know your tastes are certainly quite diverse, Nervel, so that was meant more for interested parties reading this thread and not as a dig on your tastes)
----

04.12.2007 - 19:55
Deadsoulman
Elite
Somehow I loved them the first time I heard one of their songs. I remember it was a live version of Locust Star that was released on the first Ozzfest live album years ago. It was really different from the stuff I was listening to back then - mainly the big four of thrash minus Anthrax, Sepultura, Fear Factory and nu metal - and I clearly remember I thought: "man, this is really creepy, it's awesome!". So I went out and bought Through Silver In Blood (because of Locust Star) and Times Of Grace, which to this day are still my favourite albums. Given To The Rising comes in close behind.

Somehow, The Eye Of Every Storm is the album I couldn't get into for a very long time. I don't know why, it's more laid back than the rest, it nods obviously to post-rock, it's more quiet and less directly aggressive than the rest of their discography; one could even say it's more accessible. And yet I absolutely hated it when I first listened to it. I still have no idea why. It kind of grew on me with time - I think that's a particular feature of Neurosis -, but I still consider it to be their weakest release so far.

Oh, and catching them live at Hellfest has renewed my interested in them. They must be one of the most mesmerizing acts onstage.
03.02.2008 - 15:55
doomina
Account deleted
in my opinion, they're the best band of all time. if you forget the albums before "through silver in blood".
"the eye of every storm" is an album i'm addicted to. it's so beautiful ... minimalistic but not boring ... easy somehow but also brutal.
songs like "the eye of every storm", "away", "to the wind", i can see you" or "the tide" really make me shiver when i hear em.
what do you think about scott kellys and steve von tills solo stuff?
05.02.2008 - 18:43
stigma77
Account deleted
Neurosis rule!!

Given to the rising is one of the best albums of 07!!
06.02.2008 - 00:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hi everybody...

I don't lnow anything about this band... But someone told me that this band was really good for me [He said that it works for the doom-fans]

And I looked at the myspace... their first song from the new album.. just awesome... it's seems that the music is crushing you... Like somebaody said here... like a insect on the floor... Really freak experience.

I saw in a store two albums ... Times of Grace and Giving to the Rising...
Someone who can tell me wich one of this albums would be a good start?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.02.2008 - 00:43
doomina
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.02.2008 at 00:01

i think "given to the rising" is better to start
but you should check their album "the eye of every storm"!
06.02.2008 - 06:45
LethargyMan
Honestly, I was rather disappointed with Given to the Rising. It's an album that's really more about the production and mood rather than Neurosis trying something new. Granted, the album sounds deliciously haunting, but this is the first time on one of their albums that nearly every song contains similar riffs, beats, and progressions that sound like other specific songs from their back catalogue. It's a nice challenge to the momentum toward post-rock that most bands like Neurosis seem to be headed toward, but it really doesn't tread new ground.

With that said, by "disappointing", I mean to say this: instead of being the best album of the year, it's maybe only third or fourth best.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
06.02.2008 - 11:44
Deadsoulman
Elite

Times Of Grace is really, really a hard album to get into. It's so dark, creepy and intense that it's almost unbearable at times. It's one of my favourites from Neurosis but I need a certain mood to be able to listen to it.
In my opinion you should start with either Through Silver in Blood or Given To The Rising. They're the albums that best represent Neurosis's sound. Between both albums, they have all the elements the band used through the years.
Otherwise, The Eye Of Every Storm might be the easiest to get into. It's my least favourite but it's probably the most accessible album of their discography.

So, to sum up: if there's only two albums in the store, you should not pick Times Of Grace because it's so weird it might turn you off. Get Given To The Rising instead, it's a good gate to the wonderful world of Neurosis
06.02.2008 - 18:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Lethargyman, I can see where you are coming from, but I certainly wasn't disappointed at all with the new release.

I don't know where or how much farther they could have gone in the direction they were headed and still remained Neurosis - but I love the fact they did harken back to their older style and current direction to put them together.

To me, the end result is just jawdropping.

It is my favorite album of theirs as it combined strength with strength with the new improvements you mentioned, in terms of production.

And it says a lot for the band if a release you find disappointing by them still makes your top 5 in a year that saw a lot of good releases, eh?!

(of course, I don't always hold lack of progress against a band - I loved Enslaved's "Ruun" when it wasn't quite as exploratory as their prior several releases, and voted Municipal Waste's "The Art of Partying" as my choice for best thrash album this year despite the fact the style is almost a quarter century old!)

And I agree with Collin in that "Through Silver in Blood" or "Given to the Rising" are probably the best starting points. "Times of Grace" is an awesome album, but it can be very difficult to digest. "The Doorway" (first full length track of the album) still disturbs me and always sets me on edge.
----

06.02.2008 - 19:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 06.02.2008 at 11:44

Times Of Grace is really, really a hard album to get into. It's so dark, creepy and intense that it's almost unbearable at times. It's one of my favourites from Neurosis but I need a certain mood to be able to listen to it.
In my opinion you should start with either Through Silver in Blood or Given To The Rising. They're the albums that best represent Neurosis's sound. Between both albums, they have all the elements the band used through the years.
Otherwise, The Eye Of Every Storm might be the easiest to get into. It's my least favourite but it's probably the most accessible album of their discography.

So, to sum up: if there's only two albums in the store, you should not pick Times Of Grace because it's so weird it might turn you off. Get Given To The Rising instead, it's a good gate to the wonderful world of Neurosis

Well, I don't totally agree with you. I think Times of Grace is a good album to start with, because it kinds of span the whole career of the band in itself. Dark, heavy, haunting, soft, melodic, whatever. Nearly everything Neurosis had done before or done some times after is here (at least a tiny bit of it).
But 'so dark, creepy and intense' is, as you'll agree, the norm with Neurosis. Someone who can't appreciate this kind of mood will have hard times to get into Neurosis...

That said, Given to the Rising can be good too ; The Eye Of Every Storm too, but it's not really representative of the usual Neurosis sound ; and Through Silver In Blood might be really difficult to comprehend because there are really really numerous layers of sound.

A personal note : I started into Neurosis with Times Of Grace, but some of my fav are Souls At Zero and Enemy Of The Sun...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.02.2008 - 23:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Thanks Collin, Doomina, Darkside Momo and BitterCOld

Anyway I like disturbing music... But I think that I will try "Giving to the Rising"... Mostly because I LOVE the song from the myspace...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.02.2008 - 18:18
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.02.2008 at 23:17

Thanks Collin, Doomina, Darkside Momo and BitterCOld

Anyway I like disturbing music... But I think that I will try "Giving to the Rising"... Mostly because I LOVE the song from the myspace...

You can also listen to the downloadable songs from their website (1-2 for each album). They're often either the best or the most representative of the album.
But 'Given To The Rising' can't be a bad choice... I think it'll be first in the 2007 MS awards for it's category.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.02.2008 - 05:31
Pogo the Clown
Account deleted
And finally... I couldn't get into Given To The Rising... it didn't shock me in anyway... I prefer the well-structured and balanced subtleness of The Eye Of Every Storm or the crushing heaviness of "Through Silver In Blood".

Btw... had anyone the experience of listening Times Of Grace at the same time with that Tribes Of Neurot shit, I'm fucking curious about how it sounds.