Metal Storm logo
Nostalgic Metal Albums

11.11.2008 - 18:33
Carrion Misery

I always end up coming back to certain albums that I just can't resist. They usually end up staying in my CD player for a course of a few weeks. I have a large, diverse metal collection (and many of us do) but only a handful of CDs I get nostalgic over.

In this case for me, its not a single album, but an MP3 CD compilation of the entire My Dying Bride album collection. I do get nostalgia over Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor, which just now passed recently. Now I am back on MDB, which I haven't listened to since last December. I listen from As The Flower Withers to A Line of Deathless Kings. This will not leave my CD player for a long time and I have listened to this CD thousands of times.

I'd like to know if anyone else goes through this and which album(s) do it for them.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
11.11.2008 - 21:00
DanielViking

These ones:

Moonspell - Irreligious
Amorphis - Eclipse
Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions
Sentenced - Down
Korpiklaani - Tales Along the Road
Doro - Angels Never Die
12.11.2008 - 03:00
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Trail of Tears - A New Dimension Of Might
Tristania - Beyond The Veil and Widows Weeds
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour
Communic - Conspiracy In Mind

The last two being fairly recent compared to the other ones. But especially This Godless Endeavour is an album I love so much, I don't just want to have sex with it, I want to marry it and spend the rest of my life with it. And those Tristania

Albums were among my very first original bought CDs. Two of the greatest gothic metal albums of all time. The kind I could never review because there's just nothing that isn't perfect about them.

@DarkCapricorn: I don't even know most of these, but I'm with you on SBD. Absolutely great album.
----
12.11.2008 - 05:11
Carrion Misery

I really have to agree with the two Tristania CDs you listed, Corrupt. Also The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow usually follows.
----
? Carrion Misery
Full album streaming
12.11.2008 - 06:24
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
GNR-Appetite for Destruction
Iron Maiden-Somewhere in Time
Black Sabbath-Paranoid
s/t by Carnivore
Retaliation by Carnivore
The Antichrist by Destruction

plenty more but they would go on forever.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
12.11.2008 - 06:37
Carrion Misery

Well keep in mind that these aren't suppose to necessarily be your "favorite" albums. Its albums that hold a different spot than the rest. Its suppose to be a CD or CDs that you miss unexpectantly between long periods of time. Albums that you crave to listen to more than ever each time. I don't think more than 5 different artist/ CDs would really count as nostalgic. That's just really digging your CD collection.
----
? Carrion Misery
Full album streaming
12.11.2008 - 07:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Wow, good thread, I have too many of these so I'll just narrow it down to the most potent flashback albums.

Rob Zombie - Past, Present, & Future
Every time I hear the songs from here I just get extremely vivid flashbacks to like 4 - 5 years ago, high school was fun...

Belphegor - Goatreich-Fleshcult
I remember buying this when I was first getting into metal (shortly after its release), I couldn't tolerate it at all. Then one night I was at a house party that got crashed by the police because of neighbours complaining there was a bunch of drunk kids wandering around the neighbourhood. It was mid january (ridiculously cold!) and I had an hour long walk home at like 2 am. I chose this time to throw on my ipod and give this album another try. Maybe it was the dark sky and frozen ground covered in snow with leafless trees all around, maybe it was the frigid cold, or the fact that I was completely hammered but it just seemed to click, I ended up listening to certain songs from it multiple times on that walk home. Every time I put it on I remember that night.

Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
It always takes me back to this christmas party (well, more like a series of parties all at the same persons house, all in December of that year) I went to a few years ago, I got really stoned in a nice warm basement, played pinball until the wee hours of the morning and watched my friends try and go christmas tree hunting in the park.

Opeth - Still Life/Turisas - Battle Metal
These two albums sort of share a memory, I jsut remember halloween a few years ago and walking to my friends show at some teeny community hall. A black metal band, 2 shitty pop-punk bands and a Misfits tribute band. Then we went and smashed pumpkins....good times.

Why are all these memories from winter(s)?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.11.2008 - 12:35
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Carrion Misery on 12.11.2008 at 05:11

I really have to agree with the two Tristania CDs you listed, Corrupt. Also The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow usually follows.

Absolutely. Also there's Velvet Darkness They Fear by Theatre Of Tragedy. I only realized how good that is long after Liv Kristine left.

Also Dr. Rock, A Night At The Opera is a real good one too. A friend of mine shares your love for that one.
----
12.11.2008 - 13:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hard to say for me, and give detailded list

For me all those who are re cordet in mid 90's and early 90's
I mena in doom , black and gothic scene, realy those who remainds me my childhod and days whit out internet, school days and so, those who tell something, those who are alive whit fealins and emeotions
Wath Atrocity video ''Love is Death'' ''Calling The Rain'' or Charon ''November's Eve'' Type o Negative ''Everything Dies'' you will understand

Alos some old band slike Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zepelin, and so on can be here, also oldied 50 music albums.

Its hard describe and I wont try because you wont understand my way of thinking and my world anyway
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.11.2008 - 21:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Shape Of Despair - Angels Of Distress

Really beautiful and sad funeral doom. The vocals [although they are not the main interest] are fucking amazing. The guy is really spiting on you the tragedies of this world. Overwhelming experience.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.11.2008 - 06:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by corrupt on 12.11.2008 at 12:35

Also Dr. Rock, A Night At The Opera is a real good one too. A friend of mine shares your love for that one.

Well its not so much that I love it, in fact I barely listen to it anymore, but when I do I just get flashbacks to a certain period in my life.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.11.2008 - 14:19
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I have a nu-metal compilation from 2001(?) which I bought when I was first passing from pop music to commercial rock. It's actually pretty good and there's this great sense of nostalgia listening to Papa Roach's 'Between Angels and Insects', Limp Bizkit's 'My Way', Alien Ant Farms cover of 'Smooth Criminal'.

They're good songs and remind me of some good times as a kid. I might make a nostalgia CD. I'll post the list here for you all to laugh at when I'm done.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
14.11.2008 - 22:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by -tom- on 14.11.2008 at 14:19

I have a nu-metal compilation from 2001(?) which I bought when I was first passing from pop music to commercial rock. It's actually pretty good and there's this great sense of nostalgia listening to Papa Roach's 'Between Angels and Insects', Limp Bizkit's 'My Way', Alien Ant Farms cover of 'Smooth Criminal'.

They're good songs and remind me of some good times as a kid. I might make a nostalgia CD. I'll post the list here for you all to laugh at when I'm done.

The good times, yeah... When people were not going around talking shit about what's true and what's not. Those were good times indeed. I really liked some Limp Bizkit songs. also the old Korn.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.11.2008 - 22:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Megadeth - Rust in Peace - this is just indescribably good and always makes my guts and my soul dance
Death - Symbolic - something connects me to this one.
Metallica - Master of Puppets - I have listened to this one a long time ago... and I don't even know if it's that special anymore. It's my all-time favorite, but at this moment of my life, I'd rather listen to the first two.

A Russian band Aria has always hold a special place in my life cause they are my first metal band. So really anything by them is always pleasant to listen to. I hadn't listened to them for a long time, but I started to refresh my memory again cause I am going to go a show in Kiev on Thursday.

And maybe Drudkh - The Swan Road. I listened to this one this summer for the first time, and I almost instantly loved. This is also my first album by them. I don't know, there is just something that connects me to this album: it's either the fact that they are from Ukraine or the special kind of lyrics used on that album
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.11.2008 - 22:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
Metallica - Kill'Em All and Master Of Puppets are the first two metal albums I listened to...
InFlames - Whoracle was the first album with growls I heard...
cannot think of others right now
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.11.2008 - 13:03
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by -tom- on 14.11.2008 at 14:19

Yeah, I had a little phase of that kind too. Papa Roach's Infest is an album I still like to listen to every now and then.
----
16.11.2008 - 00:18
selken
Irreligious
Well I'm not clear, if the music itself makes us nostalgic or was the first we heard an album makes that,

As for the music itself, my most nostalgic albums are X Japan's Art of Life and Jealousy, Specially the songs Silent Jealousy and Say Anything. :'(, also the middle tracks from Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery

If its about the times or experiencies lived surrounded by an specific album, I would pick Metallica's Master of Puppets, my very first real metal album
----
16.11.2008 - 00:42
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by selken on 16.11.2008 at 00:18

Well I'm not clear, if the music itself makes us nostalgic or was the first we heard an album makes that,

As for the music itself, my most nostalgic albums are X Japan's Art of Life and Jealousy, Specially the songs Silent Jealousy and Say Anything. :'(, also the middle tracks from Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery

If its about the times or experiencies lived surrounded by an specific album, I would pick Metallica's Master of Puppets, my very first real metal album

Art Of Life is a real good one, yes. And Silent Jealousy has some of the best drumming Yoshiki has ever done. Both very deep and well played albums. I also associate my period of time (and Love) with those.
----
16.11.2008 - 00:54
selken
Irreligious
Written by corrupt on 16.11.2008 at 00:42

Written by selken on 16.11.2008 at 00:18

Art Of Life is a real good one, yes. And Silent Jealousy has some of the best drumming Yoshiki has ever done. Both very deep and well played albums. I also associate my period of time (and Love) with those.

Quote:

I just wanted to stay with you
I just wanted to feel your breath of grace
I didn't know what to do
I couldn't say anything
When consciousness returned
Everything had been washed away
by the tide of time, even you

But the scars of memory never fade away
I can't stop loving you
Stop my tears
Stop my loving
Kill my memories

These lines are so special to me, they mean a lot
----
16.11.2008 - 01:24
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Yes, even reading it...
That also brings "Tears" to my mind.

Quote:

Loneliness, your silent whisper
fills a river of tears
through the night.
Memory, you never let me cry
and you, you never said good-bye.
Sometimes our tears blinded the love
we lost our dreams along the way
but i never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates,
never thought you'd leave me alone.

Time through the rain has set me free,
sands of time will keep your memory.
Love everlasting fades away
alive within your beatless heart...

Damn, those are good lyrics...
----
16.11.2008 - 20:45
Eddie Misery

My most nostalgia-inducing albums lately have been any album from Draconian. I remember it was around this time 2 years ago that I first started listening to them...actually I was hunting for something new and interesting on amazon b/c I wanted to order some new cds. I wanted something dark. So I typed in some doom bands that I liked and checked out some other bands listed as similar, and Draconian was one of them. I remember feeling instantly overtaken by mood set forth in the music, and I ordered their album, "Arcane Rain Fell", right off. I've been a huge fan ever since, and I can't think of a single song of theirs that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

I saw mention of Tristania and Sins of Thy Beloved on here as well, which are excellent nostalgia choices I thought, particularly for this time of year. I think it was shortly after or shortly before when I started listening to Draconian that I also became pretty much enthralled with the band Virgin Black. Any play lists I've made for sleeping lately have both bands on them, and they're two bands I'll never get tired of listening to.
17.11.2008 - 11:22
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Iron Maiden (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son)
Iron Maiden (The Number of the Beast)
Judas Priest (Pain Killer)
Ensiferum (Ensiferum)
Wintersun (Wintersun)
18.11.2008 - 10:12
Eeric
Account deleted
Paradise Lost - Shades of God
Megadeth - Youthanasia
30.04.2011 - 21:03
Ghostdancer

Iron Maiden: Powerslave & Somewhere in Time
Metallica: Kill 'Em All & Master of Puppets
Megadeth: Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Death: Leprosy
Slayer: Reign In Blood & South of Heaven
Sepultura: Beneath the Remains
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
30.04.2011 - 23:05
Tormentor666

Written by K✞ulu on 14.11.2008 at 22:18

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - this is just indescribably good and always makes my guts and my soul dance
Death - Symbolic - something connects me to this one.
Metallica - Master of Puppets - I have listened to this one a long time ago... and I don't even know if it's that special anymore. It's my all-time favorite, but at this moment of my life, I'd rather listen to the first two.

A Russian band Aria has always hold a special place in my life cause they are my first metal band. So really anything by them is always pleasant to listen to. I hadn't listened to them for a long time, but I started to refresh my memory again cause I am going to go a show in Kiev on Thursday.

And maybe Drudkh - The Swan Road. I listened to this one this summer for the first time, and I almost instantly loved. This is also my first album by them. I don't know, there is just something that connects me to this album: it's either the fact that they are from Ukraine or the special kind of lyrics used on that album

I got Aria's "Blood for Blood" (no idea about the Russian title) and it kicks ass. Which other albums would you recommend?
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04.05.2011 - 20:02
Bulletdodger

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Sepultura - Chaos A.D and Roots , First Sepultura albums i acquired and always gets me pupped up.
Rammstein - Reise Reise , also the first Rammstein album I acquired.
Slayer - Reign in Blood , a perfect album and I always have at least 2 songs from that album in my mp3 playlist.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
04.05.2011 - 20:42
U47

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet, specially in the evening before going to bed, nice atmosphere.
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, yeah, can't resist, for now nearly 10 years one of my all time favorites, listen to it at least once a week.
Beherit - Drawing down the moon, very special album back then, really love it, also "Engram" is playing regularly.
Burzum - Filosofem, the first black metal release I've ever acquired, I will never forget my feelings about that album back then, means very much to me (especially because back then I didn't know anything about who the guy releasing this album really was, just listened to the music, getting too much information sometimes takes the magic away, too bad).

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster, the most kicking album you can get out there
04.05.2011 - 21:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Actually, I think all Anathema albums are the most nostalgic to me, except the new one.

Most of my favourite albums have that effect on me.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.05.2011 - 22:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Accept - Balls to the Wall is the first one that came to mind. i remember quite some time back(we're talking 4 years or something) i listened to most of the tracks from that album, because i loved the title track obviously haven't touched it in almost 3 years until when i saw them in concert last June, and i actually found myself remembering and singing along to the epic as hell standout tracks Losers and Winners or London Leatherboys.

then of course is my incredibly long Judas Priest phase. i watched "Rising in the East" on New Year's Eve 2007 and fell in love.

another one is the album Warriors of the World by Manowar, used to listen to that stuff like crazy 2-3 years ago, until i saw Manowar in concert which was a big disappointment.