Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Vocalist Leaves Stage In Belo Horizonte (UPDATED)

Original news, posted on 12.11.2008

Nightwish were forced to cut Monday night's (November 10) concert in Belo Horizone, Brazil short after the group's lead singer Anette Olzon suddenly started "crying" at the end of the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" (about six tracks into the group's set) and walked off stage, leaving the rest of the band to finish the song with bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala attempting to handle some of the lead-vocal parts. The group reportedly played two more cover songs and ended the show, explaining that Anette is going through a difficult phase in her life, and that she was really sad.

Fan-filmed video footage of Olzon walking off can be viewed here and here.

But, in the meantime, Anette Olzon sent a press release to Brazilian media where she clearified the reasons behind her sudden "collapse" which caused her to leave the stage in the middle of the Nightwish show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on November 10th 2008.

Olzon stated that the smoke on stage got on her vocal chords to make her lose her voice. She was trying to sing until she reached the point she couldn't do it anymore and therefore was "forced" to leave the stage.

Nightwish has always had a very good and close relation to their fans in Brazil and the thought of disappointing the fans was too great for Anette. The band tried to buy some time for Anette to regain her voice back but it didn't. Nightwish ended up playing 2 more songs after Anette left the stage but were forced to stop the show after that.

After the show, people stayed in the venue to get some kind of explanation to what happened. After a while, promoter Eric de Haas from Dynamo Productions came on stage to tell the fans that the concert was over and Nightwish was already back on their hotel.

It is reported that the next show Nightwish did the next day in the capital of Brazil (Brasilia) went well and the band also included the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" on their setlist.

UPDATED

As posted on Blabbermouth, Nightwish mainman/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen said the following, speaking to webzine O Povo Online about the incident: "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

Tarja Turunen got fired from Nightwish in October 2005. In May 2007, the band officially announced the addition of their new vocalist, Anette Olzon.

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 16.11.2008 by Lupas

Comments page 2 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 762 users
13.11.2008 - 09:36
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I understand that Anette doesn't want to speak about her personal problems in public, but this explanation about the smoke is just lame. At least I don't buy it.. Why would she start to cry, if she had difficulties to sing further?! And why would Marco say something about a difficult phase, if the smoke was the only reason? It just doesn't make any sense.
----
You'll never walk alone.
13.11.2008 - 10:52
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Princ_Of_Horror on 13.11.2008 at 08:37

Hmmm..smoke and vocal cords..hmmm..
Please tell me, how this makes sense, on the concert it was stated she was sad and bla bla bla..and now for the press there is some other drama story about smoke and her vocal cords, it does happen tho..seriously..its not like it was her first gig that she had to sing with "smoke"..and why are the storys so different.. I mean "hard time in life" and "smoke chocking me" yeah they have soooo much in common..I think she is just starting to realise she isnt all that loved.. LOL!

Not to talk about them just saying after who knows how long of waiting "they are already back at the hotel" unprofessional from both the band and the bloody management.

Just my thoughts about it, so DONT BOTHER hammering me

I Will Hammer you!!! just kidding, but hey, you're right "hard time in life" and "smoke chocking me" have too much in common, checkmate Nightwish!
Also "they are already back at the hotel" is the kind of excuse that makes me want to puke blood.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
13.11.2008 - 11:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Smoke.....riiiight.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.11.2008 - 11:28
BigBossBW
I personally prefer Anette over Tarja but if these show problems continue to occur I wouldn't be surprised if she goes as well although I hope she doesn't
13.11.2008 - 11:41
Firaga
Okey.....Tarja has that ALMIGHTY voice....but i don't dislike Anette either...I've seen her live in Portugal in April and i like her performence on stage. But this can mean toruble for her side :x I hope not.....
13.11.2008 - 11:43
Macedonia
Account deleted
How they felt...ashamed!!! Is she a real profesional with this attitude?
13.11.2008 - 11:54
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Weird stuff!
13.11.2008 - 11:58
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
No matter what the reason for her leaving the stage is it must have been a huge disappointment to the Brazillian fans. Hope things will work out
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.11.2008 - 12:46
Rusher
I went to the show in Brasilia and the show was great! I paid US$ 20.00 and it was on of the best shows I ever saw! The place was not full but there was a lot of people. Anette sang very well, the only songs she didn't perform was when she sang "I wish I had an Angel" and "Wishmaster". And man, Tuomas is really funny, he was drinking wine all the time...

I'm sorry for the people in Belo Horizonte, the show ended too soon!
13.11.2008 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Smokes shood be in football stage
I hate smokes, but I somehow dont belive to offical version about reason why she left, IMO there something more, and you see Tarja vs Anette, Tarja wont do it, she can finish show

Yes its disapointed for fans, but I understand Anette to, she just human not robot . But who knows maybe next news be ''Nighwtish searching for nw vocalist''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2008 - 14:30
timmoe
Written by Ernotar on 13.11.2008 at 09:36

I understand that Anette doesn't want to speak about her personal problems in public, but this explanation about the smoke is just lame. At least I don't buy it.. Why would she start to cry, if she had difficulties to sing further?! And why would Marco say something about a difficult phase, if the smoke was the only reason? It just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe both explanations are right? I mean, maybe she IS going through a difficult phase in her life right now, and that the problem with the smoke was just too much for her?
13.11.2008 - 16:07
Enissa
Written by Demon Heart on 13.11.2008 at 02:39

What a mess, i feel really sorry for the brazilian fans, i'm so glad that i am not in their shoes, anyway , that was't good for proffesional, we should have known Tarja is much better than any other femail metal vocalist.

I agree
The professionals dont do this
she must have apologized to the fans
Thats aweful, I feel sorry for them & for the rest of the band
And people please, Just stop comparing Anette with Tarja!!!!
this has gone too far & Boring especially here, Anette's has feelings like anyone else
13.11.2008 - 16:50
YoreLore
Not interested in the stupid vocalist row but I think it sucks the band didnt even explain to the crowd...
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
13.11.2008 - 17:20
Ernis
狼獾
Well we don't exactly know the details of her personal life...I also know that this isn't her first gig with stage smoke....
It's plausible that she just feels very bad at the moment and tries to keep her private matters hidden from publicity.....I'm glad the next gig went better....hope she'll find new strength...

And well..."Tarja back" comments are useless....also the one that stated "bring in Amanda Somerville"...seriously, Amanda is a good singer, she does good job with Epica and Aina and she's a fun personality but she wouldn't fit the Nightwish as they are now.....
13.11.2008 - 17:33
Elio
Red Nightmare
strange fact, poor people who bought the ticket.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.11.2008 - 19:47
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I wonder if people would be so sympathetic of James Hetfield if he did this.

Written by Ernis on 13.11.2008 at 17:20

....also the one that stated "bring in Amanda Somerville"...seriously, Amanda is a good singer, she does good job with Epica and Aina and she's a fun personality but she wouldn't fit the Nightwish as they are now.....

It seemed to me that they changed their sound to fit Anetta's singing style more (as many bands do hen they get a new singer), so they might just change there sound to something more classic. Still a long shot if this happens.
13.11.2008 - 19:56
Elodie Artour
Slania
I agree with the ones who have written down that it wasn't very professional of her to leave the stage without an explanation. And it's not just because of the Brazilians themselves. Audience is audience everywhere. Anette should have apologized to the people who have surely payed much to see her live.

On the other hand, sometimes it is really hard to hide your feelings and emotions, especially the negative ones. Poor Nettan... I hope everything will be okay with her in the nearly future.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
13.11.2008 - 20:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Nop it dossent make sence, but Tarja wount never do it, IMO Tarja are more profesional singer, no metter how talanted are other female metal singers , Tarja has finished some master degree in music studies ...

@FYROM - No it was not profesional , youcan walk at stage, do other movements , go soemwhere near drums, do whatever, no metter sif you cry, her vocals was not perfect anyway nobody wold not be angry about it and if band wanna see fans more in concrets betetr Anette explain real reaosn, otherwise like I sad next news be ''Nightwish - ''Anette leaft band'' or ''Nightwish search for new vocalist'' and well who knows maybe Tarja come beck, and ist be much better IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
13.11.2008 - 22:24
juanopereira
Anette lost her voice!?... What voice anyway!! she sings awful. Very sad for the people of Belo Horizonte, they deserve some kind of compensation. I hope the band fire her.
14.11.2008 - 00:56
necrovamp
This band are so unprofessional, i saw them at bloodstock and they were a shambles, they came on about half an hour - hour late, kept going off stage all the time cus 'anetes ears didnt work' then ended the set short. i had huge hopes for this band when taja left and they got anete but even though she has a good voice (well not in this case!) she just isnt cut out for it.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
14.11.2008 - 02:05
I have seen nightwish twice now with anette and they are deffenetly the best band i have seen live so far. i think you guys should just give anette a break touring is incredibly stressfull and hard and if theyer is somthing behind the senes that is bothering anette that what ever it is she had a good reason to get up and leave i cant see her doing it if ithere was not reason
14.11.2008 - 02:27
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Yeah I agree with Balls of Jericho. Unfortunately I've never seen them with Anette, and from what I've heard she great and I believe it, even if I prefer Tarja's voice. She deserves some credit... it's not everyday you can join a band with such a history, and if you ask me.. she doing an awesome job, so I think she needs our support.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
14.11.2008 - 08:27
Demon Heart
Written by Enissa on 13.11.2008 at 16:07

What a mess, i feel really sorry for the brazilian fans, i'm so glad that i am not in their shoes, anyway , that was't good for proffesional, we should have known Tarja is much better than any other femail metal vocalist.

I agree
The professionals dont do this
she must have apologized to the fans
Thats aweful, I feel sorry for them & for the rest of the band
And people please, Just stop comparing Anette with Tarja!!!!
this has gone too far & Boring especially here, Anette's has feelings like anyone else

you know what?!! I am a big fan of nightwish, even after Tarja, and I didn't compare them, I said Tarja is the best female metal singer, she is better than averyone,
Anette is very good, but just imagine that you were in that concert, what would happne to you?
wasn't it so bad?
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
14.11.2008 - 08:52
-MariusR-
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 13.11.2008 at 20:38

Nop it dossent make sence, but Tarja wount never do it, IMO Tarja are more profesional singer, no metter how talanted are other female metal singers , Tarja has finished some master degree in music studies ...

@FYROM - No it was not profesional , youcan walk at stage, do other movements , go soemwhere near drums, do whatever, no metter sif you cry, her vocals was not perfect anyway nobody wold not be angry about it and if band wanna see fans more in concrets betetr Anette explain real reaosn, otherwise like I sad next news be ''Nightwish - ''Anette leaft band'' or ''Nightwish search for new vocalist'' and well who knows maybe Tarja come beck, and ist be much better IMO

Then I have to admit here that back in the tour in 2003 with the Century Child album, some of the same happend to Tarja. It was in Amsterdam, the people in the show smoked some weed there, and Tarja colapsed at stage. So if you say that Tarja never would leave the stage, it whould be rwrong against Anette. Just give Anette some time, it just her second year with Nightwish, and she joined them when they where at top, so this is hard for her.
14.11.2008 - 09:18
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Poor girl
14.11.2008 - 11:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.11.2008 at 08:52

Then I have to admit here that back in the tour in 2003 with the Century Child album, some of the same happend to Tarja. It was in Amsterdam, the people in the show smoked some weed there, and Tarja colapsed at stage. So if you say that Tarja never would leave the stage, it whould be rwrong against Anette. Just give Anette some time, it just her second year with Nightwish, and she joined them when they where at top, so this is hard for her.

But it was not personal problems, she did not cry and wied sucks , such think shood be banned in shows , those people ruin shso them selfs
----

apos;'
[image]
14.11.2008 - 11:42
timmoe
Did noone read what I had to say? I said:

Written by timmoe on 13.11.2008 at 14:30

Maybe both explanations are right? I mean, maybe she IS going through a difficult phase in her life right now, and that the problem with the smoke was just too much for her?

And stop saying they should fire her, just because you don't like her as a vocalist. It feels like you're just looking for things to hate her for. It's so stupid. Read this:

Written by Hrothdane on 13.11.2008 at 04:28

Written by Demon Heart on 13.11.2008 at 04:04

Written by Hrothdane on 13.11.2008 at 03:52

That people are taking Anette's personal problems and using them as venom for the tired, meaningless comparison of her and Tarja disgusts me. The gall of some people...

We can't ever escape from the realities, there is no "meaningless comparison ", they acted in a same band boath, so it is not meaningless.

It IS meaningless when you have nothing to add to the discussion. Plus, you are using Anette's personal problems as a weapon against her, which is BEYOND bad taste. If you have problems with her singing style, fine. If you don't like her stage presence, fine. You can discuss such things in a meaningful, thoughtful way or not at all. Goodness knows that we could go to any nightwish fan area on the internet and find people going "OMGANETTEISNTTARJAIHATEHER."
14.11.2008 - 12:53
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ Bad English Let's just remember that Tarja has left the stage during a Nightwish gig too... There were some people smoking marijuana in the front row, so Tarja fainted because of the smoke and had to be taken off the stage... So, yes Tarja WOULD do it.
----
You'll never walk alone.
14.11.2008 - 13:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernotar on 14.11.2008 at 12:53

@ Bad English Let's just remember that Tarja has left the stage during a Nightwish gig too... There were some people smoking marijuana in the front row, so Tarja fainted because of the smoke and had to be taken off the stage... So, yes Tarja WOULD do it.

Marihuana are drugs, people shood blame them selfs for it but she would not leave stage for personal reasons , such bnd like NW can even made policy no smoking in them concerts or something like ut, people will go too
----

apos;'
[image]
14.11.2008 - 15:49
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ Bad English But if we can assume that smoke was also the reason for Anette's leaving, then it wasn't her fault either.
----
You'll never walk alone.

Hits total: 26064 | This month: 45