Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Vocalist Leaves Stage In Belo Horizonte (UPDATED)

Original news, posted on 12.11.2008

Nightwish were forced to cut Monday night's (November 10) concert in Belo Horizone, Brazil short after the group's lead singer Anette Olzon suddenly started "crying" at the end of the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" (about six tracks into the group's set) and walked off stage, leaving the rest of the band to finish the song with bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala attempting to handle some of the lead-vocal parts. The group reportedly played two more cover songs and ended the show, explaining that Anette is going through a difficult phase in her life, and that she was really sad.

Fan-filmed video footage of Olzon walking off can be viewed here and here.

But, in the meantime, Anette Olzon sent a press release to Brazilian media where she clearified the reasons behind her sudden "collapse" which caused her to leave the stage in the middle of the Nightwish show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on November 10th 2008.

Olzon stated that the smoke on stage got on her vocal chords to make her lose her voice. She was trying to sing until she reached the point she couldn't do it anymore and therefore was "forced" to leave the stage.

Nightwish has always had a very good and close relation to their fans in Brazil and the thought of disappointing the fans was too great for Anette. The band tried to buy some time for Anette to regain her voice back but it didn't. Nightwish ended up playing 2 more songs after Anette left the stage but were forced to stop the show after that.

After the show, people stayed in the venue to get some kind of explanation to what happened. After a while, promoter Eric de Haas from Dynamo Productions came on stage to tell the fans that the concert was over and Nightwish was already back on their hotel.

It is reported that the next show Nightwish did the next day in the capital of Brazil (Brasilia) went well and the band also included the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" on their setlist.

UPDATED

As posted on Blabbermouth, Nightwish mainman/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen said the following, speaking to webzine O Povo Online about the incident: "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

Tarja Turunen got fired from Nightwish in October 2005. In May 2007, the band officially announced the addition of their new vocalist, Anette Olzon.

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 16.11.2008 by Lupas

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 762 users
16.11.2008 - 17:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I remember it was there since the very first Anette´s gig in Tallin - group of troglodytes trying to disgust it to her...seems after the year and quarter, they were finally successful
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.11.2008 - 18:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 16.11.2008 at 17:20

I remember it was there since the very first Anette´s gig in Tallin - group of troglodytes trying to disgust it to her...seems after the year and quarter, they were finally successful

You was in Tallinn

Jigoku Shoujo - Thats why I dont go to festivals, here 2 bands good 6 bad
If I go to that show I wont scream nothing about Traja , even I prefere Tarja's days more, and firts 2 albums more how othere, I do respect Anette
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.11.2008 - 18:38
albatros

Some arseholes ruined it for the rest. Like everywhere else on this planet.
16.11.2008 - 19:19
schwanderen

Written by Stigmatized on 16.11.2008 at 01:27

People can be fucking mean for the dumbest reasons...

Amen, it goes beyond my comprehension why people would pay money to see an act just to trash it.
16.11.2008 - 19:27
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Well.. first of all.. i disagree with the behavior of the crowd.. there was no reason to insult Anette..
But i think she should stay in the stage til' the end of the show.. she should stayed no matter what happened (except physical agression of course) because some people actually wanted to see Nightwish and have fun, and she abandom the fans just because of some dozens of jerks. Its like a football player who quits the game because ''the audience is being to bad on him''.. for god sake.. that's entertainment.. people pay a lot for that.. the city o Belo Horizonte probably paid a fortune to have Nightwish.. if the crowd is a pain in the ass, hold on tight until the end..

IT'S YOUR JOB ANETTE, you are not just doing a favor in coming here to play, you got very well payed, sometime idiots would appear in the audience, so be a grown up!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.11.2008 - 20:30
Lupas
Maximus
I really don't understand here attitude . What she expect to see at a live concert , a candle night where everyone is praying Onette you should go away from Metal Scene and leave that place to other who can handle this situtation .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
16.11.2008 - 22:36
Symmachus

Anette should have some slack on her. I see people are being a little harsh. I think a solid explanation would be good as to why Anette left the stage, but her leaving the stage is not an excuse to say something like "I hate Anette. Tarja was much better. They should fire Anette." As I said earlier in this thread, I won't hold this incident against Anette (it was the 8th post and 10th post where I said that). But I would like a solid explanation as to why she left. Was it personal? Was it smoke? Was it insults? Was it a combination of two or all of those factors?

Also, comparing Tarja to Anette and Anette to Tarja is kind of wrong. Anette is the vocalist of Nightwish. Live with it!

-Ray

PS: Yes! I got the 100th comment!
16.11.2008 - 23:08
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, this changes things a little, people insulting Anette is very different, it is not like "smoke on the stage" and "hard time in life", If they want Tarja, then they just need to attend Tarja's gig, which is very by the way, indeed, I can't tell about NW cuz I missed their gig this year but some friends told me that it was a good show, maybe except when she sang Dark Chest Of Wonders.

Conclusion: Anette is not Tarja, deal with it!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
17.11.2008 - 02:33
BlankFile

Well now that changes the scenery. I guess the fans weren´t polite at all. We have to respect the changes that happen in a band and support it the best way we can, and not insulting the band members.
17.11.2008 - 02:37
BMR Monkey

Fuckin asholes they need to get over of it anette its not tarja its someone diferent like many many other bands this happens a lot i dont know why those faggits can move on
17.11.2008 - 03:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't really have an opinion about it. I really dislike Anette but can really see why some of you are very upset about this.
----
17.11.2008 - 03:31
selken
Irreligious
Well, that changes everything, there is nothing more scarier than a handful of people mad at you. However, other people paid for the show, paid for a service, a service which was not provided.

I thing the best sollution could be calling those uniformed dudes with guns

Fuck off those "Tarja-fans" pseudo metalheads, like if Nightwish were the only or the best band in the world
----
17.11.2008 - 03:40
selken
Irreligious
Written by Guest on 16.11.2008 at 16:21

I just can't understand why would people go to a show (and pay for it) when they don't like it? That is just unbelievable stupid!

While I was writing...

how the f** we could override such a datail
----
17.11.2008 - 03:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Maybe they did what I did. I paid to see Anette so I really could have an opinion about her (and I just had to see Nightwish at least once in my life), I kinda liked it but much rather wanted Tarja there.
----
17.11.2008 - 12:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is almost funny to read all those comments of people who "knows what it is all about" and "how to act, when you are a lead singer of a metal band"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.11.2008 - 13:56
Nym666
Account deleted
Poor Anette.
17.11.2008 - 15:04
crusader84

It's all band's (or maybe better, Tuomas') fault. Tarja isn't any godess, but so drastic change of vocal image of the band... stupid.
17.11.2008 - 15:44
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I agree with crusader84 completely, although I wouldn't react like that, with the obscene gestures and all. I'd just stay home rather than making a fool out of myself and be rude.
----
17.11.2008 - 18:50
Zenzero
Zenzero
Idiots are everywhere....

why they don't go to a tarja's show?? maybe cuz the new tarja's album sucks.......
17.11.2008 - 20:38
benvolent

Children's birthday..
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
17.11.2008 - 21:30
YoreLore

Sigh...women . Tim "The Ripper" Owens didnt cry when Judas Priest and Iced Earth fans annoyed him on stage (Bet he done it in secret though haha)
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
17.11.2008 - 21:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm.. pretty weird that people are still paying money to see Nightwish with Anette to scream Tarja's name etc.
17.11.2008 - 22:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Come on the differences between Tarja era and Annette era Nightwish aren't that big at all IMO. SO a new vocalist pops up, so frigging what.

But the funny interesting part for me was this promoter Eric de Haas from Dynamo Productions Eric used to write and photograph for Aardschok magazine and used to work for the Dynamo Club in Eindhoven The Netherlands. I had forgotten all about the fact that he had moved to Brazil all those years ago.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2008 - 00:04
Lioncourt

Blabbermouth is hardly trustworthy and so is Nightwish.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/
18.11.2008 - 02:33
Opethian

Annete has some big shoes to fill in. Tarja left right when Nightwish were at their peak and then they bring in annete (which has never heard anything from Nightwish before). Theres absoulutely no meaning of comparing Tarja with annete.

Its not Nightwish without Tarja! Its not Therion without christopher johnson! Its not Nile without Karl Sanders! Get the point. Tarja > Annete anyday
18.11.2008 - 20:59
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
The fans have the right to express themselves in a consert. If they dont like the new vocalist let them be mad at the new one. When Annete was hired she knew she had to fill Tarja's shoes, and thats just an impossible task.

Opethian made a good point. Some bands are just not the same without some of it's members. Pain of Salvation is not PoS without Daniel, same way as nightwish is not nightwish without tarja.

To make things worse Annete's vocal style, which I, for one, like, is very different from Tarja's. I know howmuch Tarja is loved not only in Brazil but in South America, and touring there with a new vocalist so early was just not a good idea. This is like the most predictible thing that could ever happened.

South American fans are not like the US and European fans. We, in general, are really close minded when it comes down to member replacement in a band (think Angra)
----
18.11.2008 - 21:39
Fhuesc

Any member of a band should leave the stage whenever he/she wants, for any reason, it's not like they are some slaves that have to play the entire gig. But they have to accept the consequences *cough* return the all the money *cough*

Also the public can shout whatever they want, frankly i think insulting the band it's just stupid, not only cuz you paid for it, but also cuz you went knowing exactly what to expect, specifically in this case, it's not like that show was the debut of Annete.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
19.11.2008 - 12:45
albatros

Written by 4look4rd on 18.11.2008 at 20:59

The fans have the right to express themselves in a consert. ...

Yes ?

I think the fans should have expressed themselves and punched those idiots who ruined the concert in the face. Today too many people express themselves at the expense of the silent majority.

There is no right to insult anybody, anywhere. But there is a right conceded to strike back if you become insulted.
20.11.2008 - 01:49
Thrashette

Aw, poor Annette. I hope she's alright
I feel sorry for her... I mean, yeah Tarja was great and Annette shouldn't have just cried and left in the middle of a performance, but it sucks how people always find the need to compare the two. You'd think that by now people would've gotten over the fact that Annette is replacing Tarja and that's that. But no, people have to go out of their way to insult her whenever possible, even if it means paying money to attend a concert of a band that they supposedly don't like anymore. I mean, how many times have we all seen a Nightwish discussion turn into some Annette vs Tarja shit with most people taking Tarja's side? I prefer Tarja myself, but Annette is still a great vocalist.
24.11.2008 - 22:26
dutchglory
Account deleted
Dear Metal Storm,

Can you please try to find out whats the latest nesw arround Anntte Olzon,
feeling better yes/no
stay in Nightwish yes/no (found rumour)

thank you...

Hits total: 26007 | This month: 27