Metal Storm logo
Ancient

02.07.2006 - 00:51
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Ancient is a black metal band that I've been geting into after getting out of progressive metal a little bit because I'm on a temporary break from that. I personally think that Ancient is one of the better Norwiegian black metal bands. They have great production; you can hear everything when you listen to them, the guitars, bass, drums, vocals...They have solid consistant material and are very heavy and aren't too harsh due to the production values. Does anyone else out there know and like this band?
02.07.2006 - 01:21
tulkas
el parcero
Never heard of it but I´ll check into it if it´s as good as you say it is
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
03.07.2006 - 01:12
Richard
Elite
I liked Ancient's debut album, 'Svartalvheim' (1994). A few songs really stood out, particularly 'The Call of the Absu Deep' - however, that album was fairly raw Black Metal, and rather different to the approach which they would later adopt. The last album of theirs that I bought was 'The Cainian Chronicle' (1996) which I wasn't too fond of, so the only Ancient releases I have are those two and the EP they released inbetween. What's the more recent stuff like? From what I can gather, they went more Cradle Of Filth-esque after that?
----
03.07.2006 - 05:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Ancient is certainly one of my most beloved bands.... my favourite album is "The Cainian Chroinicle", a very original masterpiece that is very harsh yet highly melodic, with a scary atmosphere and awesome vocals... then I like a lot their debut album "Svatalvheim", old-school BM that seems a bit misplaced in their discography but is awesome...

About their later stuff I don't like it as much as the first two albums but all their releases are pretty interesting, specially "Proxima Centauri" that is very blissfull and stunning...

very recomended group, very underrated.

EDIT: @Richard: I don't see any Cradle Of Filth influences in later Ancient... I see more elements of King Diamond with all that horror imaginery and free-styled melodic games, if that helps you to make a picture... if you want to check, I specially recommend you "Proxima Centauri"
03.07.2006 - 05:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Richard: Yeah, Call of the Absu Deep is one of my favorite songs by them...Huldradans and Disciplines of Caine; IV- Zillah and the Crone are also pretty fuckin awesome Ancient tracks...
03.07.2006 - 11:15
FjellFisk
Account deleted
det glemte riket is one hell of a 7"! it was reissued on one of the later compilations and also on the true kings of norway digipack released by spikefarm (spinefarm?).
03.07.2006 - 16:35
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Talking about the best Ancient songs, I have no doubt about... "Born In Flames", from the album "Halls Of Eternity"... I listened to it at first in a compilation of Ablaze magazine and fell in love with its dark haunting touch and density, and well, is yet the Ancient song I enjoy the most by far.
05.07.2006 - 01:45
lazarus
I've heard The Halls of Eternity, Svartalvheim and Proxima Centauri, I prefer the last one because the sound is much better than the others, although Halls of Eternity is more like an EP, it's almost as good as Proxima.
The song the Battle of the Ancient Warriors is of my favorite songs of Ancient.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
05.07.2006 - 04:01
Niflhel
Account deleted
God, i cant belive so few people replied to this thread
One of the better bands out there, by far
06.07.2006 - 01:06
GrimFilth
Account deleted
ancient is pretty good and varied, they make music that sounds like CoF, Dimmu Borgir, Nokturnal Mortum.. not really original music, but they are still better than those 3 bands together. just take a look at my last.fm profile below how much i like Ancient too bad the band stopped existing
06.07.2006 - 06:12
Invoked
Account deleted
Yea this band isn't too original but they've made some pretty solid albums that ventured through many various incarnations of black metal. My favorite work of theirs would be the "Trolltaar EP". It's got that good ol' ambience that we all love in BM.
22.09.2006 - 13:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ancient are good Bm band from Norvaw and lil bit remaind me My Dying Bride Im serius specely in pics
I know 3 albums
''Svartalvheim'' well sonething rom Immortal and some melodic elements I like it, specely lyrics ist old school
''The Cainian Chronicle'' lil diferent album IMO but its graert and same time nostalgic becuse firts well first always are bestter
''Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends'' dont like it just dont and well 1349 sems coppy them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.04.2008 - 22:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
NEWS FEBRUARY 2008 !
After a 2- year long break, Ancient is starting to prepare a comeback to the scene. The band is currently putting together a new line- up and is proud to announce Morfeus ( Limbonic Art / Dimension F 3 H ) as new guitarist ! A new drummer is yet to be confirmed. Ancient plans to start touring again before the summer, but no dates has been confirmed yet. More news to follow soon !
----

apos;'
[image]
08.04.2008 - 23:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Interesting... I hadn't listened to new Ancient in ages but I would certainly check their new album when it comes out.
18.12.2008 - 15:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYkK-osZUjI

DAMN... i'm watching this right now and this thing is, to put it mildly, crappy. extremely CONSTIPATEDLY cramped sound, hilariously "evil" vocalist guy, backdrop of a forest with band playing and random color tinting effects, the horrid lyrics(DIEE BASTARD DIEEE DIIEEEE DIEEEE DIEEE DIEEE DIEEEE)... not even the hotness of that girl and the good instrumentation(despite the horribly tight production) can save this p.o.s. of a video..

PS the drummer looks like Peter "Catman" Criss
14.10.2009 - 07:45
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I really dont see the appeal...they had a funny video some years back....with a name like ancient they have a lot to live up to...like emperor...if you were in emperor and it sucked, it would really suck to be someone in emperor.......
18.10.2009 - 14:22
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
Ancient Is from the weirdest bands i ever seen !! i mean look they are Norwegians but there is many italian members like WTF !! and not just this but also the former singer and the keyboardist deadly kristin she turned muslim just some years ago !! and third thing is There funny videos and not one and not 2 but they are plenty who want to watch in youtube !!! and so on ...but i have to say there music is not bad !!they got some good shit among there loong discovery !! they play some good melodic black metal but they didnt realeased nothing new since 2004 !!
For guys who want to get know and fit in there stuff i would recommend there Ep ( god loves the dead 1999 ) and there last Effort album ( Night Visit 2004 )
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
11.09.2010 - 04:45
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath

Pretty raw stuff.. much better than the pre-fabricated, ready for packaging, bullshit kind of black metal they make nowadays.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
21.03.2012 - 23:35
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Personally, I like "Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends" best. When it's not cinematic, evil, and (at times) brilliant, it's depressive, and even funny; all-encompassing black metal. I'm no Mayhem/Satyricon/Gorgoroth elitist (though I love those bands), so I can stomach a little cheese and sprinkles of frilly garnishings on my black metal without getting my boxers in a wad. But...that's just me. Oh, and the vocals are inhuman, by the way!!!
19.10.2017 - 20:20
BetulaObscura
I am listening "Svartalvheim" right now.
Pretty good stuff!
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
25.01.2020 - 11:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ancient
2 hrs ·
Ancient will be performing the Svartalvheim & Trolltaar Anniversary shows in many locations in Europe this spring.
Check the tour poster here ! More dates to be added soon !

----

apos;'
[image]