Metal Storm logo
Metal userbars

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 13.11.2008 - 03:01
This is not really art, but Art-forums seem closest related to this.
I've been doing a few old-school web 2.0 userbars during my last exams period to kill some time when I was bored from learning. I never really meant for this to go anywhere but I had a lot of fun with it. And since I just discovered that I'd reached exactly 100 posts here on MS, I thought I might as well share them with you in my first thread here.

I've done most of the work in GIMP (since I'm a Linux guy) and used Photoshop for a few details and things I was too lazy to do in GIMP. The first one was the Nevermore bar in my sig, where I started trying to leave the classic slightly polished web 2.0 look behind to go for a look as if the bar was made of thick glass and had a real depth. I really liked the outcome so I did a few more, using mostly bands I was listening to at that time and in most cases my most favourite album by every particular band. If that cover didn't provide good results, I went looking for an album cover of that band that was more suited for this. As with Trail Of Tears.

Maybe one or two of you have use for these. I'm also open to criticism. But probably not to change what I've already posted here (except a few like Edguy, Hammerfall of Trail Of Tears that I'm not really pleased with), but to keep in mind for future work.

Update Aug. 19 2009

I proudly present: The signature 3-image generator script.
If you want more than one userbar but metalstorm only allows one image in your signature, go here and use the fancy little script I spit together to generate one image containing three userbars. (I will adapt it to also allow for only 2 soon).

Feedback highly appreciated. Especially if you find a combination of userbars that metalstorm won't accept because of it's filesize.

Enjoy.

Update Aug. 28 2009

The script now allows for 2-userbar images by selecting "-none-" as third choice.

Update Dec. 12 2008

How to use:
Since people keep asking me how to put these images into their signatures, here's a little howto:

First download the image to your harddrive (screenshot taken using Firefox):

Then klick on 'Edit profile' in the top left corner of the Metalstorm page.
Where it says 'Signature image upload', put the url to your downloaded image into the textbox.
Then put the [image] tag somewhere into your signature. It will be replaced by the image as soon as your profile is shown to anyone.

Finally click 'submit' and check your signature in the Forum.

Bands:

Styles:

Requests:

Request Doc G.:

Request Kasper:

Request -DC-002-:

Request Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk:

Request Ascendant187:

Request GT:

Request Elio:

Request Dangerboner:

Request K✞ulu:

Request bard:

Request Metal_Militia:

Request Ellrohir:

Request Daggon:

Request MetalSpider:

Request Archetype:

Request FeskarN:

Request Haddonfield:

Request Troy Killjoy

Request Visioneerie

Request Archetype

Request Behdaad

Request Kennoth

Request Got Mayhem?

Request Guest

Request qlacs

Suggestions:

Suggestion Marcel Hubregtse:

Misc/Fun:

Rework of a metalstorm bar I've seen on these forums:

Dedication to the MS Awards '08:

And while I was at it, one to the Awards '07:
06.03.2009 - 19:42
bard
Oh wow, these are fun. I'd love it if you could make a Finntroll, one with a color scheme similar to the Midnattens Widunder (but not the old logo...) or Visor om Slutet album covers. Or perhaps just a Folk Metal style bar in general?

Great work overall though!
----
07.03.2009 - 00:00
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by K✞ulu on 06.03.2009 at 10:37

I like it, but if you put the Coroner logo itself on top of it, that would be awesome indeed. Sorry for the pain in the ass. Thanks.

That logo?

Written by bard on 06.03.2009 at 19:42

Oh wow, these are fun. I'd love it if you could make a Finntroll, one with a color scheme similar to the Midnattens Widunder (but not the old logo...) or Visor om Slutet album covers. Or perhaps just a Folk Metal style bar in general?

I can't bring myself to make a folk metal style bar yet, that style has been annoying me for years and I would hate myself to actually support it
But here's a Finntroll one for starters. Maybe this helps me easy into the whole folk metal support ... ism
----
07.03.2009 - 12:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by corrupt on 07.03.2009 at 00:00

I like it, but if you put the Coroner logo itself on top of it, that would be awesome indeed. Sorry for the pain in the ass. Thanks.

That logo?

Thank you so much! Man, you're great. Have an inspired life!!!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.03.2009 - 07:26
bard
Written by corrupt on 07.03.2009 at 00:00

That logo?

Written by bard on 06.03.2009 at 19:42

I can't bring myself to make a folk metal style bar yet, that style has been annoying me for years and I would hate myself to actually support it
But here's a Finntroll one for starters. Maybe this helps me easy into the whole folk metal support ... ism

I hate to be picky, but if you could use the band name logo the way it appears in the more recent albums, that would be killer. Otherwise it looks great!
----
12.03.2009 - 23:07
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by bard on 08.03.2009 at 07:26

I hate to be picky, but if you could use the band name logo the way it appears in the more recent albums, that would be killer. Otherwise it looks great!

You have no idea how much of a pain this logo is at that size
But I got it to look somewhat decent.

----
13.03.2009 - 19:02
bard
Written by corrupt on 12.03.2009 at 23:07

Written by bard on 08.03.2009 at 07:26

You have no idea how much of a pain this logo is at that size
But I got it to look somewhat decent.

It's true, I don't have a clue. But it looks just beautiful, thanks man!
----
15.03.2009 - 01:55
Metal_Militia
Hey can you make an Unquestionable Presence by Atheist bar man? I'd totally rock that one instead of just taking the bloodbath one lol
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

15.03.2009 - 22:09
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Metal_Militia on 15.03.2009 at 01:55

Hey can you make an Unquestionable Presence by Atheist bar man? I'd totally rock that one instead of just taking the bloodbath one lol

Well, for once there's another Bloodbath bar that looks way better than the first one I made now
And as for Atheist, their logo just sucks. I mean look at that:

If it wasn't for the logo, the whole thing would look twice as good. Maybe I'll work on that a bit more.
----
15.03.2009 - 23:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by corrupt on 15.03.2009 at 22:09

Well, for once there's another Bloodbath bar that looks way better than the first one I made now

If it wasn't for the logo, the whole thing would look twice as good. Maybe I'll work on that a bit more.

holy crap. it does look terrible.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.03.2009 - 00:57
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by K✞ulu on 15.03.2009 at 23:20

holy crap. it does look terrible.

----
16.03.2009 - 02:27
Metal_Militia

Hey man thanks a lot! Idk whats wrong with it lol looks good to me. Im wearin it
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

16.03.2009 - 18:47
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Metal_Militia on 16.03.2009 at 02:27

Hey man thanks a lot! Idk whats wrong with it lol looks good to me. Im wearin it

Well, for starters, it looks like a marvel comic superhero logo. And the whole bar looks like a comic, no matther which album cover you use and which parts you show in the bar. But ey, if you like it - all the better
----
30.05.2009 - 22:37
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Wow these are really good I can't believe you used GIMP to do these, they look super! The extent of my skill in GIMP is warping things XD
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
23.07.2009 - 10:03
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I don't want to be a pain in the ass (hehe nobody wants to I guess), but is it too much to ask for a bar of Rhapsody Of Fire?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.07.2009 - 10:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And what about one with Summoning for me, please?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.07.2009 - 01:01
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Ellrohir on 23.07.2009 at 10:09

And what about one with Summoning for me, please?

Hm, I'm tired as hell and Wacken is waiting but I pasted together a small summoning userbar. Don't consider it done but that's what the endresult could look like. Their logo really uses much vertical space

Rhapsody is a band I thought about but their album covers are really detailed. It's going to be hard to choose one part of one as a background. After Wacken that is
----
28.07.2009 - 08:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by corrupt on 28.07.2009 at 01:01

I'm tired as hell and Wacken is waiting but I pasted together a small summoning userbar.

thanks a lot
----

03.08.2009 - 21:02
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Daggon on 23.07.2009 at 10:03

I don't want to be a pain in the ass (hehe nobody wants to I guess), but is it too much to ask for a bar of Rhapsody Of Fire?

There. Tried one. Looks better than my previous attempts. The trick was rotating the dragon so that it would spit along the line of the bar itself. Why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me now. Maybe I'll change details sometime but so far I think it looks pretty decent.
----
04.08.2009 - 08:02
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by corrupt on 03.08.2009 at 21:02

Written by Daggon on 23.07.2009 at 10:03

There. Tried one. Looks better than my previous attempts. The trick was rotating the dragon so that it would spit along the line of the bar itself. Why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me now. Maybe I'll change details sometime but so far I think it looks pretty decent.

Oh holy shit! Thanks dude
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
19.08.2009 - 22:39
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I proudly present: The signature 3-image generator script.
If you want more than one userbar but metalstorm only allows one image in your signature, go here and use the fancy little script I spit together to generate one image containing three userbars. (I will adapt it to also allow for only 2 soon).

Feedback highly appreciated. Especially if you find a combination of userbars that metalstorm won't accept because of it's filesize.

Enjoy.

By the by: Ivan has this really weird limitation on image dimensions and size going on here. If anyone wants to see horizontally aligned userbars or more than three in one image, bug him about that and get banned for me
----
28.08.2009 - 12:34
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
The signature generator now allows to generate images with two userbars by selecting '-none-' as third choice.

Enjoy
----
28.08.2009 - 13:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This is great, man
----

03.09.2009 - 18:24
Souchirou
Account deleted
This might be a bit much to ask being a new member here but you make some very nice userbars and I was wondering if you could make an Power Metal one
03.09.2009 - 20:57
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Guest on 03.09.2009 at 18:24

This might be a bit much to ask being a new member here but you make some very nice userbars and I was wondering if you could make an Power Metal one

I can. In fact I would already have if there was something distinct about it that you can put on a 350x19 pixel space. The other one's were easy, meaning death, progressive and avantgarde. But power? Knights on Horses with guitars? Tight jeans and long hair? If you have a cool idea, we can work something up from there.
----
23.10.2009 - 06:03
MetalSpider
These are really awesome!

Is there any chance you can make one for Swallow the Sun and Insomnium? It would be greatly appreciated!!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
24.10.2009 - 17:26
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by MetalSpider on 23.10.2009 at 06:03

These are really awesome!

Is there any chance you can make one for Swallow the Sun and Insomnium? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Tadaaaaa:

I cheated a bit with sts, using their most recent logo on an old album's cover. But it looks pretty cool
----
26.10.2009 - 06:43
MetalSpider
Cool!!! Thank's man!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.10.2009 - 16:11
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Have you made a Rammstein one yet? If not would you do that?
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.10.2009 - 14:40
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by GT on 28.10.2009 at 16:11

Have you made a Rammstein one yet? If not would you do that?

Rammstein is a toughie. If you take away all the crap albums there's only Herzeleid, Sehnsucht and maybe Mutter to choose from. Herzeleid features the naked band in front of a bright orange cover -> out! Mutter is pretty cool as a single image but if you try to put it on a 350x19px space you either have to scale it down so much that most of the background is black to actually be able to recognize anything or you just can't make much of it at all -> out! Sehnsucht is there in an individual version for each band member so the only thing one could do is this:

OK, actually while writing this, I did have another idea about Mutter:

----
31.10.2009 - 11:57
Archetype
I wouldn't mind seeing an Agalloch one - if you have the time

These are some of the best music userbars I've seen, btw.
Nice work