Metal Storm logo
Metal userbars

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 13.11.2008 - 03:01
This is not really art, but Art-forums seem closest related to this.
I've been doing a few old-school web 2.0 userbars during my last exams period to kill some time when I was bored from learning. I never really meant for this to go anywhere but I had a lot of fun with it. And since I just discovered that I'd reached exactly 100 posts here on MS, I thought I might as well share them with you in my first thread here.

I've done most of the work in GIMP (since I'm a Linux guy) and used Photoshop for a few details and things I was too lazy to do in GIMP. The first one was the Nevermore bar in my sig, where I started trying to leave the classic slightly polished web 2.0 look behind to go for a look as if the bar was made of thick glass and had a real depth. I really liked the outcome so I did a few more, using mostly bands I was listening to at that time and in most cases my most favourite album by every particular band. If that cover didn't provide good results, I went looking for an album cover of that band that was more suited for this. As with Trail Of Tears.

Maybe one or two of you have use for these. I'm also open to criticism. But probably not to change what I've already posted here (except a few like Edguy, Hammerfall of Trail Of Tears that I'm not really pleased with), but to keep in mind for future work.

Update Aug. 19 2009

I proudly present: The signature 3-image generator script.
If you want more than one userbar but metalstorm only allows one image in your signature, go here and use the fancy little script I spit together to generate one image containing three userbars. (I will adapt it to also allow for only 2 soon).

Feedback highly appreciated. Especially if you find a combination of userbars that metalstorm won't accept because of it's filesize.

Enjoy.

Update Aug. 28 2009

The script now allows for 2-userbar images by selecting "-none-" as third choice.

Update Dec. 12 2008

How to use:
Since people keep asking me how to put these images into their signatures, here's a little howto:

First download the image to your harddrive (screenshot taken using Firefox):

Then klick on 'Edit profile' in the top left corner of the Metalstorm page.
Where it says 'Signature image upload', put the url to your downloaded image into the textbox.
Then put the [image] tag somewhere into your signature. It will be replaced by the image as soon as your profile is shown to anyone.

Finally click 'submit' and check your signature in the Forum.

Bands:

Styles:

Requests:

Request Doc G.:

Request Kasper:

Request -DC-002-:

Request Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk:

Request Ascendant187:

Request GT:

Request Elio:

Request Dangerboner:

Request K✞ulu:

Request bard:

Request Metal_Militia:

Request Ellrohir:

Request Daggon:

Request MetalSpider:

Request Archetype:

Request FeskarN:

Request Haddonfield:

Request Troy Killjoy

Request Visioneerie

Request Archetype

Request Behdaad

Request Kennoth

Request Got Mayhem?

Request Guest

Request qlacs

Suggestions:

Suggestion Marcel Hubregtse:

Misc/Fun:

Rework of a metalstorm bar I've seen on these forums:

Dedication to the MS Awards '08:

And while I was at it, one to the Awards '07:
01.11.2009 - 12:17
GT
Coffee!!
Written by corrupt on 30.10.2009 at 14:40

Written by GT on 28.10.2009 at 16:11

Have you made a Rammstein one yet? If not would you do that?

Rammstein is a toughie. If you take away all the crap albums there's only Herzeleid, Sehnsucht and maybe Mutter to choose from. Herzeleid features the naked band in front of a bright orange cover -> out! Mutter is pretty cool as a single image but if you try to put it on a 350x19px space you either have to scale it down so much that most of the background is black to actually be able to recognize anything or you just can't make much of it at all -> out! Sehnsucht is there in an individual version for each band member so the only thing one could do is this:

OK, actually while writing this, I did have another idea about Mutter:

Actually there both great. Thanks
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.11.2009 - 21:30
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Archetype on 31.10.2009 at 11:57

I wouldn't mind seeing an Agalloch one - if you have the time

These are some of the best music userbars I've seen, btw.
Nice work

HO-LY-CRAP! Dude, I can't thank you enough for pointing out Agalloch to me. Ever since you posted I've listened to nothing else but Ashes Against The Grain. It's beyond me how I could miss this band all the years, especially as they seem to have had their climax exactly when I enjoyed Gothic Metal more than any other style.

----
15.11.2009 - 05:44
Archetype

Written by corrupt on 13.11.2009 at 21:30

Written by Archetype on 31.10.2009 at 11:57

I wouldn't mind seeing an Agalloch one - if you have the time

These are some of the best music userbars I've seen, btw.
Nice work

HO-LY-CRAP! Dude, I can't thank you enough for pointing out Agalloch to me. Ever since you posted I've listened to nothing else but Ashes Against The Grain. It's beyond me how I could miss this band all the years, especially as they seem to have had their climax exactly when I enjoyed Gothic Metal more than any other style.

Hey man, not a problem. Glad you approve as I certainly approve of the userbar. Thanks!
15.11.2009 - 19:45
FeskarN

Would be awesome if you could do a userbars for these bands: Ensiferum, In Flames, Iron Maiden and Equilibrium. Thx for the great userbars you have done!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
15.11.2009 - 23:33
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by FeskarN on 15.11.2009 at 19:45

Would be awesome if you could do a userbars for these bands: Ensiferum, In Flames, Iron Maiden and Equilibrium. Thx for the great userbars you have done!

Haha! I did laugh a little when reading that. Please don't be offended, but so far no one has asked me for a band I find really annoying. And now you come and ask me for four of them! And three of those just off the top of my most-annoying list. If this was a competition, you'd just have hit the jackpot (again, no offense, just a really funny coincidence).

Do you have any favourite albums by either band? At least Iron Maiden and In Flames did go through a number of musical stages and boring as they all are ( ) I see people enjoy certain periods of a band's music more than others. Point me to it.
----
16.11.2009 - 13:23
FeskarN

Written by corrupt on 15.11.2009 at 23:33

Haha! I did laugh a little when reading that. Please don't be offended, but so far no one has asked me for a band I find really annoying. And now you come and ask me for four of them! And three of those just off the top of my most-annoying list. If this was a competition, you'd just have hit the jackpot (again, no offense, just a really funny coincidence).

Do you have any favourite albums by either band? At least Iron Maiden and In Flames did go through a number of musical stages and boring as they all are ( ) I see people enjoy certain periods of a band's music more than others. Point me to it.

haha, didnt know that you had those bands was on your top-list of annoying bands and those bands are my favorites thats just funny Btw why does these bands annoy you so much? Because they are successful and famous bands?

Well to start with Maiden I would pick "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and for In Flames it would be "Clayman". With Ensiferum I will pick the first album and Equilibrium it will be "Sagas".
----
16.11.2009 - 21:37
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by FeskarN on 16.11.2009 at 13:23

Written by corrupt on 15.11.2009 at 23:33

haha, didnt know that you had those bands was on your top-list of annoying bands and those bands are my favorites thats just funny Btw why does these bands annoy you so much? Because they are successful and famous bands?

Well to start with Maiden I would pick "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and for In Flames it would be "Clayman". With Ensiferum I will pick the first album and Equilibrium it will be "Sagas".

Well, for three of them it's easy. I really don't like folk. Not just folk metal but folk in general. I just always found that really annoying. It must have something to do with the melodic structure because I thoroughly enjoy other melodic stuff. And with Iron Maiden I seriously don't know. Ten or so years ago between 15 and 16 I even though I did have to like them. Everyone I knew back then liked them and I just couldn't get behind that. I tried every album, every single one but I found them all equally boring. There's just nothing there that touches me.

Also seeing them live really destroyed it for good because that must have been the most arrogant show ever played
----
17.11.2009 - 00:07
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Any chance on an Arkona and a Misfits one?
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
13.12.2009 - 02:43
corrupt
With a lowercase c

Sorry it took so long, this semester is keeping me crazily occupied. I got the first two ready. The albums by In Flames and Iron Maiden you picked don't make such good backgrounds. I've tried a few variations and they all sucked balls. I'll try different albums some time but not today

----
13.12.2009 - 02:59
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Haddonfield on 17.11.2009 at 00:07

Yep!
----
13.12.2009 - 03:54
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by corrupt on 13.12.2009 at 02:59

Written by Haddonfield on 17.11.2009 at 00:07

Yep!

Cheers
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
13.12.2009 - 20:08
FeskarN

Written by corrupt on 13.12.2009 at 02:43

Sorry it took so long, this semester is keeping me crazily occupied. I got the first two ready. The albums by In Flames and Iron Maiden you picked don't make such good backgrounds. I've tried a few variations and they all sucked balls. I'll try different albums some time but not today

thx a lot! They look awesome!
----
14.12.2009 - 02:59
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by FeskarN on 13.12.2009 at 20:08

thx a lot! They look awesome!

Well, Reroute To Remain and A Matter Of Life And Death made for better themes. Not quite the quality of some of the others but definitely the best ones I've tried for these bands.
----
14.12.2009 - 03:14
Konrad
Mormon Storm
How about Brujeria?
----
Brujerizmo!
07.02.2010 - 01:47
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Hey man you rule! thankis for those great userbars!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.04.2010 - 23:28
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
These userbars are awesome. I was wondering if you have the time for some of my own requests ?

Anata (either The Conductor's Departure or Under a Stone with no Inscription)
Benighted (Icon preferably or Identisick)
Cryptopsy (Blasphemy Made Flesh or None so Vile)
Suffocation (Effigy of the Forgotten or Pierced From Within)

That would be greatly appreciated. Let me know
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.04.2010 - 12:14
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Next ones. Troy Killjoy requested these in january already.

----
12.04.2010 - 12:59
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Visioneerie on 08.04.2010 at 23:28

These userbars are awesome. I was wondering if you have the time for some of my own requests ?

You sure make it easy. Most of these covers look so cool anyway I didn't have to edit a thing.
----
12.04.2010 - 15:23
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by corrupt on 12.04.2010 at 12:59

Written by Visioneerie on 08.04.2010 at 23:28

You sure make it easy. Most of these covers look so cool anyway I didn't have to edit a thing.

Thanks so much man, they look great ! I guess I chose the right albums.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
19.04.2010 - 12:13
Archetype

Any chance of an Anathema userbar?
23.04.2010 - 14:37
Behdaad
DEAD
Wow man!
that's GREAT!
Have u ever done "Dark Tranquillity" or "Draconian"?!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
23.04.2010 - 22:42
Kennoth

Pretty nice

If I may request a Scar Symmetry bar with the cover from Holographic Universe?

Thanks in advance, keep up with good work.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
24.04.2010 - 10:25
Archetype

Written by Kennoth on 23.04.2010 at 22:42

Pretty nice

You beat me to it!
28.04.2010 - 15:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Hey man, great new works as usually! How about Vektor?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.05.2010 - 23:02
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Archetype on 19.04.2010 at 12:13

Any chance of an Anathema userbar?

Yep!

Written by Behdaad on 23.04.2010 at 14:37
Have u ever done "Dark Tranquillity" or "Draconian"?!

I have now
Draconian have bad covers to be reduced to such a small size. I really tried to make a good one with The Burning Halo but it never turned out the way I wanted it. So I put another album behind the same thing. That at least looks ok.

Written by Kennoth on 23.04.2010 at 22:42

That's one of the coolest album covers I've ever seen. Only SC's logo sucks for this
----
17.05.2010 - 01:18
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Any "Morbid Angel" ?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
17.05.2010 - 13:40
Kennoth

Written by corrupt on 16.05.2010 at 23:02

That's one of the coolest album covers I've ever seen. Only SC's logo sucks for this

Wow, looks great

I'll use it probably today
----
*insert something deep and profound*
21.05.2010 - 03:24
Got Mayhem?

Hey, I may have missed it but is there a Deathspell Omega one? If not I'd love to see one for Fas, ite Maladicti In Ignem Aeternum if you have the the time!
----
22.05.2010 - 04:29
Archetype

Thanks for filling my request(s), they look great!
22.05.2010 - 05:17
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
A+ on the The Gates of Slumber one; looks good. I'm not really one much for putting these things in my signature but they're great for people who like that stuff. A Mercyful Fate one would look cool with either their debut or Don't Break the Oath as themes. Good job!
----
The force will be with you, always.