Album: Blast'N Fuck
Release date: November 2008

01. Blast'N Fuck
02. Rebirth
03. Blood
04. Five Minutes
05. See You In Hell
06. Shaman

Furia is a really atypical band, in its sound but also in its history. It was probably one of the most promising bands from France but after a ton of different line-up changes and a controversial last album ("Kheros") the band is not so famous anymore and some other French bands are a lot more active and recognized now. After a long break the combo is finally back with a new EP "Blast'N Fuck" and if the comeback of Sébastien Lobut last year gave me good hopes, I have to say that one more time, "Blast'N Fuck" should be a controversial release.

If you were expecting a comeback to the music of "Un Lac De Larmes Et De Sang", I'm sorry to tell you that you'll be disappointed. Even if Sébastien is back, his influences that we were able to listen to on the first releases of Furia are not back with him. It's a bit sad because "Blast'N Fuck" is clearly too influenced by In Flames (and not the one of the old albums?) and even Slipknot! "Blast'N Fuck" is a bit like some kind of Gothenburg Death Metal with hyper melodic choruses and really commercial melodies and here, I really miss the great epic melodies of the first releases. On the other hand, Furia is not dead yet and still has some good things to propose to the listeners. First despite the fact that it's really commercial, the songs are good and second we can still find the sound of Furia during some passages (the best of the album actually) on some songs like "See You I Hell" with its devastating riff. All in all "Blast'N Fuck" is not a bad release but Furia seems to be a really different band now and the fans will have to live with it.

I don't know if an album will follow soon but "Blast'N Fuck" is an auto-production and it's really well done. The recording is top notch and the guys (with their new kind of music of course) are better than ever. You'll have to like modern Metal to enjoy "Blast'N Fuck" but if you're into the last In Flames you'll probably like it a lot because at least, in the genre, this is really good!

I'm a bit disappointed by this new EP because I will still prefer the old Furia but honestly in the genre, "Blast'N Fuck" is not a bad EP. Try it if you want but be aware that you'll probably not like it if you're looking for something a la "Un Lac De Larmes Et De Sang", though if you want big riffs and catchy modern choruses, you'll just be happy here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 14.11.2008

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 96 users
14.11.2008 - 21:27
PrettyMao

Your review makes me sad. I loved Un Lac De Larmes Et De Sang. Especially the song with the horsie in it. That album was a French masterpiece.

I don't think I will go looking for this new EP anytime soon... That's a shame.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
14.11.2008 - 22:42
HardSide

Wait I don't get it, what was so bad about Kheros, I think it was there best album.
15.11.2008 - 09:28
FOOCK Nam

Sadly they change their music style. Im eager to know more previous albums.
Edit: I have a question, do/did they use clean vocal in this or previous albums. And did they have epic element with clean vocal rather than gothernburg style in their previous album? if so, which album?.
16.11.2008 - 18:59
Galar
Wicked Mung
Good review jeff,
as always
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
17.11.2008 - 17:19
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
I've just listened to this new EP streaming on their MySpace, and I'm really disappointed...

I loved their two first albums, "A La Quête Du Passé" and "Un Lac De Larmes Et De Sang" which brought something atypical...
Even if "Kheros" was different from their previous releases and even if it showed an evolution of Furia's style, it was not a bad album as this new EP.

But I was very fond of the charm which they have created on their two first albums, and these "modern" sonorities did not enthuse me so much...

Anyway good review Jeff.

Hits total: 4482 | This month: 3