04. Pellonpekko
05. Tuli Kokko
06. Wooden Pints
07. Spring Dance
08. Hunting Song
09. Beer Beer
10. Midsummer Night
11. II Lea Voibmi

There was a time when I first listened to Finntroll and then Moonsorrow and a bit of Ensiferum as well, and I found this kind of music cool. Korpiklaani were in my plans, but oddly I left this scene and I never got to listen to them. So the moment arrived and the promo of their latest album is in my hands. A moment of silence please, a bottle of wine in one hand, in the other a great axe, many companions in the same mood and the celebration is about to begin, "Tervaskanto"'s the name of it and let's lose ourselves there where bitterness has no place!

Yeah, this is music to drink along all night long with good company and have fun, these tunes evoke the feeling as if you were in an old tavern with vikings drinking and singing so loud as if their chants would reach Valhalla. So, what have we got here? First of all a variety of instruments, then inspiration and last but not least good mood and tons of barrels of any drink of your desire, then everything takes its course and what we've got is Korpiklaani's "Tervaskanto".

Well, i suppose this is what people call folk metal, but... is it metal really? Because from what i noticed, the vocals and the rest of the instruments are to the front of the production and the guitars are somehow in the background, they're vivid though, yet they don't play such an important role, except for some moments (like on "Veriset Aparat") when they seem to surpass the overall madness! The drunken melodies are omnipresent through the whole duration of the album and the compositions give you the impression that they could be alive without the presence of the guitars (the electric ones, because the acoustic part of them has its own beautiful place in "Tervaskanto"), although they tend to offer something in the overall sound outcome. The ecstatic, sometimes nostalgic, sound of the accordion, the violin, the flute and some traditional Finnish instruments along with the drumming and the vocals play the most important role in the album.

I don't know what the previous releases of Korpiklaani are like, I stated it in the first paragraph of my review, so I can't actually judge how the band changed throughout the years, I judge the album itself and only itself. To my ears "Tervaskanto" is something at least interesting, inspired, very pleasant to listen to and upbeat in its own hallucinating drunken atmosphere, I don't think that the fans of this genre will be disappointed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 06.02.2008 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 63 users
16.11.2008 - 19:37
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
This album is not as good as i was expecting after ''Tales along this road'', but still has a couple of exellent songs, my favorites are Vilma and Palovana.

''Yeah, this is music to drink along all night long with good company and have fun, these tunes evoke the feeling as if you were in an old tavern with vikings drinking and singing so loud as if their chants would reach Valhalla.''

lol very true
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.11.2008 - 22:44
DanielViking

I think this album at first it's good, but after a few listenings you could find lots of great melodies, a great feeling of something like this "drink, dance and don't give a fuck about having fun!" great album... 10!!
05.12.2008 - 12:16
Magatouve
Account deleted
If you really wanna know the true taste of Korpiklaani, go and see them playing live. I didn't like them until I did so. It's hilarious, fun, and exciting . Just yesterday I was attending them live and enjoying my time.
This is not a typical metal band, not even a typical folk metal band but still metal, with a different taste, and that's what's unique about them. By the way, not all their songs are about partying and drunkness. In each album they have a couple of serious songs influenced by their Shaman era.
30.07.2017 - 19:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cant compare this whit Ensiferum and Moonsorrow. This is more less folk music, party music, metal is in background, a bit if you watch football, sometimes TV shows VIP, fans, non football thing, that non football thing is metal into this album.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6148 | This month: 9