05. My Apterous Angel
06. Distant Fires Reflect In The Eyes Of Satan
07. Man Without Faith Or Trust
08. The Dark Inside
09. Footsteps Resound In An Empty Chapel
10. Epode
11. Chapel Of Ghouls [Morbid Angel cover] [bonus]
12. Leprosy [Death cover] [bonus]

Akercocke's previous album "Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone", was probably the very peak in the band's career and the band was in front of very difficult task, while making new album Antichrist, to make it at least near that good than it was the latest one. So, did they succeed?

The shortest answer is: Yes, they did. Even though Antichrist is probably not such a masterpiece that album Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone was, it is very good follower. In my opinion the most important thing is that Akercocke did not just "copy" sound from its successful predecessor but again added some new touches in development of their music. They still have very unique sound, some sort of mix between Progressive, Brutal Death and Black Metal. This is also the main reason why the album never becomes too repetitive or even boring.

Of course the main theme on this album is again Satanism. But Akercocke one more time proves that they are not just some regular "primitive" satanic band, but a very sophisticated and original one. The thing that gives album this "satanic" or even "horrific" feel are those dark atmospheric and strange talking parts within songs, which often gives a feeling like they would have been "backmasked" or they would have been some sort of subliminal messages, and is really difficult to define the recordings of what these parts really are, even if you listen to them very precisely.

Performance of the whole band is perfect as we are used too, but again it is Jason Mendonca who stands out a bit, especially in the vocal duties. He shows once again that he is one of the best vocalists out there; he has extremely wide vocal range and is amazing not only at growling parts, but at clean vocal parts too. Clean vocals are also one of the most important factors in making album more progressive because they are some sort of bridge between faster and slower parts of the songs. He also makes fast rhythm changes much more smoother. Otherwise none of the songs stand out in particular way, the whole album works more like one totality, so it is the best thing to listen it as whole, not only just a few songs.

If you liked Akercocke's previous releases or you are looking for something that stands out a bit from satanic "cliché" metal scene, then Antichrist is definitely album you should check out.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Silent Creeper | 20.11.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 121 users
20.11.2008 - 21:49
Richard
elite
This is a good album. I would say 'The Dark Inside' is the standout track as it's more varied and experimental. The production is a bit odd, though, and whilst I agree that Jason Mendonca's vocals are good, his growling parts are really buried in the mix, sounding quite muffled.
----
21.11.2008 - 03:01
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
When I first bought this album I was really disappointed (mostly due to the production), but I played it again a couple of months ago and it grew on me substantially. It's just as diverse as the last one, but I still prefer Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone.
14.06.2010 - 20:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Bah, stupid rubbish production really gets in the way of an otherwise exceptional album. I hope they see their way to re-mastering this one day (like that'd ever happen).
14.06.2010 - 22:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 14.06.2010 at 20:54

Bah, stupid rubbish production really gets in the way of an otherwise exceptional album. I hope they see their way to re-mastering this one day (like that'd ever happen).

What was wrong with the production? I didn't notice nothing good or bad about it
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2010 - 23:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.06.2010 at 22:58

What was wrong with the production? I didn't notice nothing good or bad about it

Try listening to Antichrist right through then Words... or Choronzon straight after and you'll see. Antichrist has a very muddy production; the drums and guitars are nowhere need as audible and clear as the previous albums. I'm not usually a stickler for production but because the musicianship is so good (and also because their sound is naturally bassy) it's best listened to with clear production imo. Maybe they were going for an old-school ritualistic sound but I prefered it before.
15.06.2010 - 00:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I disagree with the production naysayers. I find the muddy production way more fitting than the louder and way too clean sounding Words... and Choronzon.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2010 - 00:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It depends on what type of CD player you listen with. In my first post, I complained about the production because it sounds flat out horrible on a sound system, but with headphones it didn't bother me too much.
15.06.2010 - 00:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2010 at 00:05

I disagree with the production naysayers. I find the muddy production way more fitting than the louder and way too clean sounding Words... and Choronzon.

Not with music that intricate, technical and diverse, it's just a waste. They aren't a black metal band after all.
15.06.2010 - 00:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 15.06.2010 at 00:14

Not with music that intricate, technical and diverse, it's just a waste. They aren't a black metal band after all.

I lvoe my death metal murky grainy and muddy as well even when it is intricate, technical and diverse, it adds bite whereas a clean production takes away from that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2010 - 12:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2010 at 00:44

Written by Guest on 15.06.2010 at 00:14

I lvoe my death metal murky grainy and muddy as well even when it is intricate, technical and diverse, it adds bite whereas a clean production takes away from that.

You should check them out when they were Salem Orchid. 'Sempiternal Suffering' is an awesome progressive yet primitive death metal song.
15.06.2010 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 15.06.2010 at 12:37

You should check them out when they were Salem Orchid. 'Sempiternal Suffering' is an awesome progressive yet primitive death metal song.

I will. I want my death metal to be old school. Not the dime a dozen overproduced soulless brutal as can be variety for teenagers which is rampant nowadays. My death metal needs character, balls, groove.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2010 - 12:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2010 at 12:45

I will. I want my death metal to be old school. Not the dime a dozen overproduced soulless brutal as can be variety for teenagers which is rampant nowadays. My death metal needs character, balls, groove.

I agree with that, most death metal is pants these days but the 'cocke still sound better on the prior two albums for me =P
15.06.2010 - 12:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 15.06.2010 at 12:48

I will. I want my deat
h metal to be old school. Not the dime a dozen overproduced soulless brutal as can be variety for teenagers which is rampant nowadays. My death metal needs character, balls, groove.

I agree with that, most death metal is pants these days but the 'cocke still sound better on the prior two albums for me =P

don't get me wrong but I actually love all Akercocke albums. Them over Mithras any time of the day.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2010 - 12:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2010 at 12:51

Written by Guest on 15.06.2010 at 12:48

I will. I want my deat
h metal to be old school. Not the dime a dozen overproduced soulless brutal as can be variety for teenagers which is rampant nowadays. My death metal needs character, balls, groove.

don't get me wrong but I actually love all Akercocke albums. Them over Mithras any time of the day.

You make baby Jesus cry.
03.11.2010 - 15:29
Kennoth
Awesome album, nevertheless. Looking forward to getting the rest of their discography. I'm listening to this album as we speak, and it doesn't get dull or repetitive.

Probably the best songs are Axiom and The Dark Inside.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
30.11.2011 - 14:58
Rating: 10
Big-Al
Yes, Axiom is definitely the best track on the album, although for those with the limited edition: the two cover songs are great, especially Chapel of Ghouls!
----

I drink moosepiss
01.07.2012 - 14:36
Rating: 6
lord artan
I don't understand this album...this song...this fucking lyrics...i just don't like it.i can't connect with this kind of vocal
25.11.2012 - 20:02
Fritillaria
Account deleted
This band is my new discovery in metal ! Whoa ! breathtaking album !
25.11.2012 - 20:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2012 at 20:02

Lucky you! You'll probably end up loving them for life. All their releases are great.
25.11.2012 - 21:34
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2012 at 20:31

Written by Guest on 25.11.2012 at 20:02

Lucky you! You'll probably end up loving them for life. All their releases are great.

and they did a cover of Leprosy by Death,oh my ! Leprosy has always been my fav by Death
25.11.2012 - 21:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2012 at 21:34

and they did a cover of Leprosy by Death,oh my ! Leprosy has always been my fav by Death

Now you mention it I've never heard the covers. I'll have to check them out asap.
02.01.2014 - 11:43
Lustful Maid
Written by Guest on 14.06.2010 at 23:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.06.2010 at 22:58

Try listening to Antichrist right through then Words... or Choronzon straight after and you'll see. Antichrist has a very muddy production; the drums and guitars are nowhere need as audible and clear as the previous albums. I'm not usually a stickler for production but because the musicianship is so good (and also because their sound is naturally bassy) it's best listened to with clear production imo. Maybe they were going for an old-school ritualistic sound but I prefered it before.

Jool definitely made a huge mistake here !! There's nothing wrong with the production on this album, In fact it's terribly good !
- Every album produced in different studios, sound engineering vary in term of the frequency, mastering and mixing, but not affecting the quality. I personally don't have problem with any album produced after year 2000. Remastering is only for those releases before year 2000.
- You thought the sound quality was poor may be due to listening with low quality home and car audio system, ipod or integrated (mini) hifi. Those lousy systems can not analyse the extreme frequency of Metal music.
- In another words, you desperately need to upgrade your audio system ! :-)
02.01.2014 - 12:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 02.01.2014 at 11:43

Jool definitely made a huge mistake here !! There's nothing wrong with the production on this album, In fact it's terribly good !
- Every album produced in different studios, sound engineering vary in term of the frequency, mastering and mixing, but not affecting the quality. I personally don't have problem with any album produced after year 2000. Remastering is only for those releases before year 2000.
- You thought the sound quality was poor may be due to listening with low quality home and car audio system, ipod or integrated (mini) hifi. Those lousy systems can not analyse the extreme frequency of Metal music.

Nope, I've listened to a number of different versions of this album on many different kinds of sound and system set up, and my conclusion is always the same: it's poorly mixed. Nothing to do with equipment. Of course production is down to personal preference, but to me the two albums before this are far better balanced and suited for Akercocke's sound. It just doesn't sound good on this one.

Quote:
I personally don't have problem with any album produced after year 2000.

This strikes me as where the problem lies. Going by this you don't seem to be able to distinguish between good and bad album mixes, or perhaps you just don't care. Fact is that albums made after 2000 are very often poorly produced because of brickwalling, poor dynamic range etc. or simply have any organic nature of them sucked out it because of overpolishing. I'd find it very odd if someone had no issues with any metal record made in the past 13 years in terms of production. I'd have to say you don't really understand what makes an album sound good, instead just accepting that just because something is new it must sound perfect because of technology etc. Not the case. 90s production is often vastly superior.

Have a read of this. Doesn't apply to this album, but it does apply to thousands of metal records made after 2000.
02.01.2014 - 12:32
Lustful Maid
Written by Guest on 02.01.2014 at 12:13

Written by Lustful Maid on 02.01.2014 at 11:43

Nope, I've listened to a number of different versions of this album on many different kinds of sound and system set up, and my conclusion is always the same: it's poorly mixed. Nothing to do with equipment. Of course production is down to personal preference, but to me the two albums before this are far better balanced and suited for Akercocke's sound. It just doesn't sound good on this one.

Quote:
I personally don't have problem with any album produced after year 2000.

This strikes me as where the problem lies. Going by this you don't seem to be able to distinguish between good and bad album mixes, or perhaps you just don't care. Fact is that albums made after 2000 are very often poorly produced because of brickwalling, poor dynamic range etc. or simply have any organic nature of them sucked it because of overpolishing. I'd find it very odd if someone had no issues with any metal record made in the past 13 years in terms of production. I'd have to say you don't really understand what makes an album sound good, instead just accepting that just because something is new it must sound perfect because of technology etc. Not the case. 90s production is often vastly superior.

Have a read of this. Doesn't apply to this album, but it does apply to thousands of metal records made after 2000.

Do not read all those bullshit articles on the websites !
- First of all, I personally trusted most of the sound engineers, they're trained and did things with their own professional point of view.
- Do not believe in people saying vinyl is good and warm kind of rubbish, they just want to make extra money from you ! Vinyl doesn't have the capacity to withstand the extreme high and low frequencies of metal music, CD does ! They're just good for Dolly Parton and Billie Holidays...
- 90's releases are all Stereo or Analog, directly recorded from the Tape. How could they be good I though only old man like sticking to the "nostalgia" feels...
- Loudness War is in the eye of beholder, some Rush fans and Metallica fans deemed their idols should not go that far...or extreme, therefore they made a lot of noise...to me I am ok with that.
02.01.2014 - 12:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 02.01.2014 at 12:32

Do not read all those bullshit articles on the websites !
- First of all, I personally trusted most of the sound engineers, they're trained and did things with their own professional point of view.
- Do not believe in people saying vinyl is good and warm kind of rubbish, they just want to make extra money from you ! Vinyl doesn't have the capacity to withstand the extreme high and low frequencies of metal music, CD does ! They're just good for Dolly Parton and Billie Holidays...
- 90's releases are all Stereo or Analog, directly recorded from the Tape. How could they be good I though only old man like sticking to the "nostalgia" feels...
- Loudness War is in the eye of beholder, some Rush fans and Metallica fans deemed their idols should not go that far...or extreme, therefore they made a lot of noise...to me I am ok with that.

I don't need to trust websites because I trust my own ears and tastes. I know when something is poorly produced, it doesn't take a degree in sound engineering to know when something has been botched, which they quite frequently are by lazy, overpaid producers who don't bother spending the necessary time arranging and mixing music to its best potential. The irony is though that a lot of those articles you don't believe in probably are written people the same sound engineers you love so much. People with qualifications that produce music.

I never said anything about vinyl being better or worse than CD. Format has nothing to do with production much of the time. Bad production will still be evident on CD, vinyl, tape and mp3 etc.

Analogue often has a more natural, organic sound that works far better as music. Oveproduction tears away the seams of how music is best listened to. You must enjoy listening to individual instruments rather than listening to them work together as a unit and as a whole. You can't see the woods for the trees Modern production is the bane of many forms of metal because it sucks the life out of them (see: tech-death).

As I suggested earlier: you are too easily pleased. You will readily accept any album made in the last decade because you simply think that is how it should sound. I don't see how anyone could "personally" trust most sound engineers You don't know them. You don't know their skills and motives. Most engineers are not part of the band so are only interpreting what the band want. You sound extremely naive, sorry.
02.01.2014 - 14:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I'm fine with the sound of this album but I guess it has something to do with the fact that it was the second Akercocke album I heard (the first one being The Goat Of Mendes). It's definitely muddy though but I enjoy that sound when the riffs get so agressive like in Summon The Antichrist but in more intriguing songs like Axion, yeah... I can see why a better mix could have helped.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2014 - 14:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2014 at 14:31

I'm fine with the sound of this album but I guess it has something to do with the fact that it was the second Akercocke album I heard (the first one being The Goat Of Mendes). It's definitely muddy though but I enjoy that sound when the riffs get so agressive like in Summon The Antichrist but in more intriguing songs like Axion, yeah... I can see why a better mix could have helped.

I'd be happy (or happier at least) if this album sounded like the first two. They're raw but punchy. I still to this day feel like this album is being played under water or something. I'm not saying this one should sound like the previous two like I used to, but a little tweaking wouldn't go amiss.
02.01.2014 - 14:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 02.01.2014 at 14:35
I'd be happy (or happier at least) if this album sounded like the first two. They're raw but punchy. I still to this day feel like this album is being played under water or something. I'm not saying this one should sound like the previous two like I used to, but a little tweaking wouldn't go amiss.

Heh, I, on the other hand, don't like the production of the first two too much. Sounds almost mechanical at some points and too dry. It doesn't bother me too much though, otherwise I wouldn't give it a good rating. xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.01.2014 - 08:49
Lustful Maid
Quote:
Quote:

I'd be happy (or happier at least) if you could upgrade your audio system first before writing any "helpful" comments.
06.01.2014 - 12:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 06.01.2014 at 08:49

I'd be happy (or happier at least) if you could upgrade your audio system first before writing any "helpful" comments.

What a wonderfully weak response

Hits total: 5573 | This month: 10