Metal Storm logo
Tim "The Ripper" Owens

21.11.2008 - 03:30
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, I do not know if there is a topic about this man, but I would like to know what do you think of him. Oh poor Tim Owens, an underrated vocalist ex-member of great bands such as the mighty Judas Priest, Iced Earth and now singer for Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force. Best known as Tim "The Ripper" Owens, this man has a great voice, sadly, his voice is (was?) just an imitation of the voice of the godly frontman of Judas Priest: Rob Halford. Will this man stay for a long time in Malmsteen's band? Or he will be kicked-out again, just like when he was in Iced Earth and Judas Priest? Maybe Tim "The Poor" Owens needs his very own band, one with no previous kick-ass vocalists like Matt Barlow and Halford.

Well, what do you think about him, let us know. And if you do not like him, just do not fill this topic with "Ripper sucks-ass, Halford owns!" Ok?

EDIT: I know that he has his own band, Beyond Fear, the point here is that if he is going to start singing in another band, he needs one with no previous great singers before him, again, such as Barlow or Halford, OK?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.11.2008 - 03:38
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Yes, I actually do like Tim Owens, and I would love to buy the new Yngwie Malmsteen album because he performs the vocals on it.
21.11.2008 - 04:21
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Daggon on 21.11.2008 at 03:30

Well, I do not know if there is a topic about this man, but I would like to know what do you think of him. Oh poor Tim Owens, an underrated vocalist ex-member of great bands such as the mighty Judas Priest, Iced Earth and now singer for Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force. Best known as Tim "The Ripper" Owens, this man has a great voice, sadly, his voice is (was?) just an imitation of the voice of the godly frontman of Judas Priest: Rob Halford. Will this man stay for a long time in Malmsteen's band? Or he will be kicked-out again, just like when he was in Iced Earth and Judas Priest? Maybe Tim "The Poor" Owens needs his very own band, one with no previous kick-ass vocalists like Matt Barlow and Halford.

Well, what do you think about him, let us know. And if you do not like him, just do not fill this topic with "Ripper sucks-ass, Halford owns!" Ok?

are you kidding? Ripper does have his own band. its called Beyond Fear. theyre on this site, go ahead and search them. and if youre gonna insult musicians like that, at least make sure your statements are valid.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.11.2008 - 04:30
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by LeChron James on 21.11.2008 at 04:21

are you kidding? Ripper does have his own band. its called Beyond Fear. theyre on this site, go ahead and search them. and if youre gonna insult musicians like that, at least make sure your statements are valid.

Oh, I knew someone would start with the Beyond Fear thing, sorry for that. Well I forgot about that no need to get so pussy man. And by the way, I'm not insulting Tim Owens, his a great singer, seems that you read only what you want, I mentioned that he is UNDERRATED!!! Ok? Read first before startig your arguments.

The point here is to talk about Owens, right? Is that clear enough?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.11.2008 - 04:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Daggon on 21.11.2008 at 04:30

Oh, I knew someone would start with the Beyond Fear thing, sorry for that, who the hell you think I am? Well I forgot about that no need to get so pussy man. And by the way, I'm not insulting Tim Owens, his a great singer, seems that you read only what you want, I mentioned that he is UNDERRATED!!! Ok? Read first before startig your arguments.

mmm i interpreted the "Tim "The Poor" Owens" thing as something negative, when in fact you meant he has bad luck. or something along that line. i apologize.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.11.2008 - 04:41
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by LeChron James on 21.11.2008 at 04:33

Oh, I knew someone would start with the Beyond Fear thing, sorry for that, who the hell you think I am? Well I forgot about that no need to get so pussy man. And by the way, I'm not insulting Tim Owens, his a great singer, seems that you read only what you want, I mentioned that he is UNDERRATED!!! Ok? Read first before startig your arguments.

mmm i interpreted the "Tim "The Poor" Owens" thing as something negative, when in fact you meant he has bad luck. or something along that line. i apologize.

No problem man. Nah, nothing negative, yes he has bad luck in terms of joining bands, and Beyond Fear IMO does not make too much noise as his other works, that is his weak point, being in bands where fans prefer the previous vocalist, c'mon everyone wanted Barlow back in Iced Earth, same story on Judas Priest, that way few people can think of him as a great singer in his own way because he is always compared with the other guys. .I like his vocals, and, in fact, I took the news of him joining Malmsteen as a great one (very good album by the way). He just needs more mmm propaganda? of his own band.
----
21.11.2008 - 07:02
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Daggon on 21.11.2008 at 04:41

Written by LeChron James on 21.11.2008 at 04:33

No problem man. Nah, nothing negative, yes he has bad luck in terms of joining bands, and Beyond Fear IMO does not make too much noise as his other works, that is his weak point, being in bands where fans prefer the previous vocalist, c'mon everyone wanted Barlow back in Iced Earth, same story on Judas Priest, that way few people can think of him as a great singer in his own way because he is always compared with the other guys. .I like his vocals, and, in fact, I took the news of him joining Malmsteen as a great one (very good album by the way). He just needs more mmm propaganda? of his own band.

Beyond Fear would be a much better band if Ripper wrote ALL the music instead of a little less than half. if he wants to be taken seriously, he has to write high quality metal songs that make him his own person, that makes him something other than a Halford imitator. but to be honest i think his Beyond Fear work is better than his Iced Earth material and gives most of his Priest works a run for their money.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

21.11.2008 - 10:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont know how sounds his bands Winters Bane, Beyond Fear , Brainicide,a lso in Yngwie Malmsteen, even I hate Yngwie but
Judas Priest - I liked his work there but JP is Rob banbd, more how IM Bruce, so he didnt belong there, even albums was good , but something mising
Iced Erath I like more Mat but not vocals is iced earth iced earth is drumming technique, realy
So I like his vocals, but he is not ,my fav voaclist
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.02.2009 - 02:21
Icedburden

His New Album Comes Out In April So He Has A Chance To Prove He Can
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
19.02.2009 - 23:02
The Butt
Account deleted
I don't really care for a whole lot of Owens' work. IMO, he mutilated the songs he ended up having to cover in Iced Earth...

He was great in Priest though.
23.02.2009 - 00:10
Galar
Wicked Mung
I really dont like him. I will say that his solo band or whatever that project was is much better than his works with Iced Earth and I cant even imagine how bad he sounds with Yngwie Malmsteen.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
23.02.2009 - 11:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Very underrated guy. his screams are so high and impossible, check out "Victim of Changes"(check out the scream in the end, i'd like to hear another vocalist do something like that in a live environment), "A Touch of Evil" and "The Green Manalishi" from the 1998 live album with Priest. he's fucking unmistakeable, he was good in Iced Earth too, but Barlow is the best vocalist Iced Earth can have, there's some kind of chemistry the guy has with the rest of the sounds of the band.

if Halford should ever call it quits before the rest of the band, Ripper is by miles the only solution.
23.02.2009 - 21:35
Charly546

That guy is an awesome vocalist. And on "Live Meltdown" (that 1998 Priest live album) he is just godly. He should really move up from his status as a "replacement vocalist".
27.02.2009 - 19:48
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I'm rather pleased that he is no longer with Iced Earth. I've always loved Iced Earth and their side projects such as Demons and Wizards, but once The Glorious Burden was released, I was horrified. I don't have a problem with The Ripper, but for the love of god...the Judas Priest sound and the Iced Earth sound should have never collided.
02.03.2009 - 02:58
Gobobbles
Account deleted
It is unfair how he was treated, but it wasn't his voice that caused me to dislike the guy or the fact that he isn't named Halford or Barlow...it was his stage presence that bugged me. I saw him at a show when he was with Iced Earth and seriously, all that phantom punching just got on my nerves. It seemed like it would fit better in metalcore...or one of those 'core genre bands.
13.03.2009 - 09:11
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Ripper's voice on malmsteen's new album is very good and it fits the style of music perfectly.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

16.03.2009 - 09:30
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yeah, his voice on "Perpetual Flame" sounds great, and fits the style of Malmsteen's guitar, many good songs (a bit repetitive but good in the end). I can say that if the album is not something great is because of Yngwie's fault, not Owen, he is great doing his job.
----
20.02.2010 - 20:35
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, It would be cool to know your thoughts about his solo work, what do you think about the guest musicians and their work here.
Maybe that way this topic won't die
----
21.05.2012 - 03:45
bran

Pretty big fan of ripper, his solo album was decent, not great not bad
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
21.05.2012 - 03:59
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
The man has a great voice, I love the high pitched screams.

But where he's so weird to me, most singer's have a sort of "high position" in their bands, but he doesn't.
He's always a replacement singer! Other than that, he does vocals but isn't the frontman (with Yngwie)......what's up with that?
Like why can't he start his own band?
21.05.2012 - 21:59
Storchillarn

His solo album was really boring. I'm slightly biased against albums where someone "brings along all his friends" to participate because the whole idea is just so corny. Beyond Fear had about 1½ good song but that song was actually really good. His vocals in Iced Earth worked great and I'd have loved to hear some studio recordings of him doing the old classics because I think he'd do a great job, perhaps not half as good as Barlow did on Athens but really good anyways. I think it's funny he got to do the Gettysburg Trilogy because those songs really worked so incredibly well with his screaming vocals, but they also caught the best side of his lower register. Barlow couldn't have done it any better! I also like his stuff with Priest. Probably because I got into his Iced Earth material before I really started digging into the Priest discography.
14.06.2012 - 22:38
vgmaster9

Owens isn't that bad. I really dig his song "Subterfuge" from JP.
27.07.2012 - 06:22
monoblogist

I really enjoyed the time "ripper" owens spent with Priest, and I don't give a rat's a** if he 'fashioned' his vocals after Rob Halford or not (and who wouldn't?). I always say that I wish that Maiden would have gotten such a great fill-in during the Bruceless years as Priest did with Owens. He has a great voice and good stage presence as well, AND he also even sounds great in tribute to the late RJD in Dio Disciples... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC8zWUyPPVs&feature=colike

Hail Ripper! RIP RJD
----
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/
02.08.2012 - 12:40
Vacant Throne

This is my favorite work by The Ripper. I was even lucky enough to score the rare double-disc version with live tracks on eBay!

26.02.2019 - 20:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-says-heavy-metal-was-almost-nonexistent-during-his-time-with-judas-priest/

I disagree there are many metal bands, just non was on MTV or radio, because well all was messed up, they were and now its even bigger thanks to internet, e have way to many bands now.
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2022 - 16:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]