Metal Storm logo
Shadows of colossus

23.11.2008 - 07:53
Soliloquy

A game that came and went without people noticing much. but for those who did have the chance to play it, were quite literally blown away. what the gaming world got was not a game, but a visual masterpiece, a true, and brilliant work of art. over the life of play station 2, perhaps no other game was ever released, managed to get an average of 9.8, and go unnoticed, but Shadows of Colossus.

in every meaning of the word 'epic' will you find the game. from stunning artwork of the map, to beautiful and epic landscapes that trigger the thoughts of Troy, or LOTR or something similar.

however, for me, where the game truly shinned over every other game out there was its battle system. up until now, no other game had only boss battles. no other game refused to make you fight little annoying guys. no other game refused to make you follow a distinct path to your destination. the only other game that i can think off that came close was the legend of zelda series, but even that was much different. shadows of colossus offered a MASSIVE, and STAGGERING world that didnt have any loading times required. everything seemed to flow perfectly, no glitches of anysort.

why is this game so under rated and not popular at all?

what are your thoughts on the game? did you play it? did you finish it?

WARNING-SPOILER!

what are your thoughts on the games sequel ICO, which was one of the first games released on the PS2? ironic sony started with ICO, and ended with shadows of colossus.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
23.11.2008 - 20:34
Fhuesc

This is the last game i have loved, don't get me wrong, there have been tons of entertaining since then, but not one has been capable of create that atmosphere/mood in me. Without a doubt this game is my second favorite of all time.

I think one of the reasons why people didn't paid much attention to this game, was exactly for what Soliloquy said, the gameplay is something completely different, and besides, western audiences are really closeminded towards oriental style/narrative.

I'd give this game a 10, but it has really annoying problem, the controls sometimes are really stiff, but even with this issue the game is a unique masterpiece. I'm eagerly awaiting the next project of Team ICO.

BTW Ico isn't the sequel to Shadow.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
23.11.2008 - 21:56
Soliloquy

ICO actually is a sequel to shadows of colossus. even the creators of ICO said that shadows of colossus is a prequel to ICO, and S.O.C. is taking place about a thousand years BEFORE ICO took place. the map design looks very similar, those shadow creatures look similar. and the boy with the horn from ICO is probably distant relative to the guy from SOC. besides, the girl in ICO is extermly pale, almost ghost like, as is the girl from SOC.

and i dont know, i found the game play and controls very straight forward and easy to manipulate. there wasnt much complexity in them, comparing to games like, devil may cry, where you have to mash buttons to do some combos. every button had a specific duty and the entire game stuck to it. it worked out quite well in my opinion...

Fhuesc, what was your favorite boss in SOC?
----

-Zakk Wylde
24.11.2008 - 03:00
Fhuesc

The bird in the lake for me is the best, but i also liked a lot the horse.

You really didn't feel the controls a little awkward when you were riding the horse, or specially on the final boss?

Wow, you were right, SoC its a prequel to ICO, but from what i found on wikipedia, it mades you think, that the baby from SoC is the boy from ICO.
----
Until victory, always!
24.11.2008 - 05:04
Soliloquy

No, the controls were actually very comfortable to me. i did however have a problem when you were riding on small areas where the horse constantly needed to change directions. and at times, the boy randomly stood on the horse when i didnt want that to happen.

wait, which water one? there was an eagle water one, and then there was a sea serpent water one. the sea serpent one took me HOURS just to find. i kept getting lost or i constantly kept overshooting the water destination. my favorite one would probably be the dragon in the sky. that was so much fun to fight, but also quite annoying. i also really enjoyed the one that had a massive war mace in his hand.

my least favorite one was probably the turtle who shot out lazers from its mouth. that, and i also hated killin the final boss, along with that tiny rhino or whatever that was that chased you around the entire ruins of the city.
----

-Zakk Wylde
24.11.2008 - 05:20
Fhuesc

This is the bird im talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2bJXa6n0Q
----
Until victory, always!
24.11.2008 - 05:30
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I own this and its a very well done game. I just played played it once and apparently there's a bunch of stuff you can collect and get stronger.
----
Coldgrits
24.11.2008 - 19:17
Soliloquy

Written by Fhuesc on 24.11.2008 at 05:20

oh dear god! look at that stamina gauge!!!! that thing is massive!!! i had such a hard time finding the silver tail lizards that i was prolly quarter of that!
----

-Zakk Wylde
24.11.2008 - 19:18
Soliloquy

Written by -DC-002- on 24.11.2008 at 05:30

I own this and its a very well done game. I just played played it once and apparently there's a bunch of stuff you can collect and get stronger.

yeah, you could grab fruits from trees to increase your life gauge. and you can find silver tail lizards to increase your stamina. the longer the stamina, the longer you can hold onto the demons and stay under water. but finding the lizards was a pain! i gave up after a while
----

-Zakk Wylde
26.11.2008 - 03:27
I, The Quatropus

Written by Soliloquy on 24.11.2008 at 19:17

Written by Fhuesc on 24.11.2008 at 05:20

oh dear god! look at that stamina gauge!!!! that thing is massive!!! i had such a hard time finding the silver tail lizards that i was prolly quarter of that!

Shit, that's what I said O_O

I really loved this game, still on my top faves. I got so pissed and upset with Aggro fell off the damn bridge, I was like "man, that's shit =(".
They did an awesome job on the Collosi for the majority, not so much on some however (the small ones were less interesting). Best ones were:

-Turtle
-Bird
-Dragonfly
-Behemoth
-Snake
-Man/God (whichever you can classify the last as)
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
26.11.2008 - 03:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
I found this game boring as hell. It was so beautiful, the graphic really was art (but I still think "Beyond Good & Evil" is the most beautiful game out there). The music was great too. But the game itself just wasn't funny. Pretty strange since I usually enjoy these types of games.
----
26.11.2008 - 07:00
Soliloquy

Written by Warman on 26.11.2008 at 03:34

I found this game boring as hell. It was so beautiful, the graphic really was art (but I still think "Beyond Good & Evil" is the most beautiful game out there). The music was great too. But the game itself just wasn't funny. Pretty strange since I usually enjoy these types of games.

i can see why some people would say that. it is a much different game, and i have yet to come across something like this. there are so minor bosses, or any leveling up. nor are there stupid fiends that keep jumping at you and you are forced to fight em. and the world is so open ended that there is very little you can do. as in there arent that many side quests other than finding silver tail lizards....

has anyone tried doing this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfE02F4dXDE
looks interesting. pointless, but interesting

and another boss i really enjoyed fighting was the snake in the sand. the one we had to shoot in the eye first.

but i still say the best one was probably the 3rd colossus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v_YCSi8Cg0
----

-Zakk Wylde
26.11.2008 - 20:27
Fhuesc

Don't you think it's interesting that even with more graphic power, there isn't a single game in this gen, that it's as visually appealing as SoC?. Some look really awesome (MGS4, GoW2), but when i see them i think "wow! that game looks really realistic", but when i see SoC i think "wow! this is an artwork masterpiece"
----
Until victory, always!
27.11.2008 - 00:31
Soliloquy

Well...i wont say that SoC is the greatest game created in terms of graphics. yes, they are absolutely beautiful, and the lighting and all is done really well. however, it isnt exactly 'realistic'. i mean, the entire Final Fantasy games have released games like FFX, FF11, FF12 out on ps2. metal gear solid 3 was also phenomenal. as are the GoW series also out for PS2. however, SoC has its own mistic to that makes it stand out. its more fantasy than reality, and in that sense, it does really well. the only other game i can think of that is sort of similar in terms of level designing, its probably LOTR games. but not exactly.

there is Zelda that always stands the test of time that is also very close to SoC. they have the same principle of game play. story line isnt the most complex(till the end of SoC).

and i'm sure there are other games released that are sort of similar, or very similar. but like SoC have gone unnoticed. maybe another hidden gem? whos to say.
----

-Zakk Wylde