06. Witchtanic Hellucinations
07. Beastly Brew
08. Cauldron Cave
09. Rabid Werewitch
10. Realm Of The Wicked
11. Witches Tits
12. Broomstick Bitch
13. October 31st

Somewhere in the United States of America is a cave. And in that cave, with rotting corpses scattered on the ground, is a cauldron. And in that cauldron, rusty and filthy, brews a wicked potion called "Witchtanic Hellucinations". Do not get too close to it or you might inhale some of its vile and corrupting vapours. Or is that what you're after? Then come closer in this lair of the Acid Witch and change your life forever.

What exactly is this brew comprised of? Let's take a look at this evil witch's cabinet, shall we? Ah, there we have freshly disunited zombie corpses and a couple of vials of the hippie-drug acid, some Black Sabbath albums, but also the works of Necros Christos, Autopsy and early Entombed. And some old school horror b-movies, fuzzy seventies' doom distortion and a good dose of drug-induced insanity to top it all off. The utter uncompromising attitude of Lasse, Shagrat and Dave is very charming and exactly the attitude you can expect from a band on Razorback Records' gorey roster.

So what exactly does this add up to? Let me tell you: it all adds up to a diabolic three quarters of fuzzy Doom metal with swirling Death metal riffs, psychedelic guitar solos, demonic old-school gurgled growls, eerie witches' crackles and insults with a lot of humorous gore and nasty shit going on. Take a look at the cover art, which should tell you more than enough. The entire thing is old school to the bone.

Acid Witch completely overwhelmed me with their "Witchtanic Hellucinations". It might sound paradoxical, giving the thematic and audible concept of this album, but it has been a while since I've heard something so fresh and invigorating. If you're an open-minded fan of seventies' Doom or gorey Death metal, you're invited to take a chalice full of this wicked witches' brew and chug it down! Or as the band likes to say: let the death trip begin!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 24.11.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 306 users
24.11.2008 - 01:13
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Yeah, I've been listening to them for a while since you send me their myspace. Really good music. The growls sounded amateursish from the begnning, then I though:

This shit is fucking old-school, the vocals are just perfect for this!

Now I enjoy it The solos are definitely a high point and the production also adds for the atmosphere... I just can imagine a witch headbanging while killing some people and put them on acid.

Good review man .. Nice present

PS: first one reading it and posting, as the duffman says: Ooooh yeah!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2008 - 01:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I am so eagerly awaiting my copy of this (together with Hooded Menace which has some of the same band members)...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2008 - 14:24
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
This shit is AWESOME!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
24.11.2008 - 21:28
Arcesse Eum
If its anything like Electric Wizard, i'm in!
----
As above, so below.
24.11.2008 - 22:33
Rating: 8
ylside
staff
Written by CrypticMyth on 24.11.2008 at 14:24

This shit is AWESOME!

lol I immediatly thought of you liking this album when reading the review !

I have to get that.
25.11.2008 - 00:27
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Now see this is what ALL cover art should look like. i want to hear this, shit sounds incredible.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.11.2008 - 12:03
ylside
staff
Heard. Appreciated. Great album !!!
25.11.2008 - 16:57
IronWinter
Fucking awsome!

And I second that about the cover art.

Good review man.
25.11.2008 - 18:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Got my copy of the album in today together with Hooded Menace - Fulfil The Curse which is also a great album somewhat in the vein of Acid Witch (which is not surprising since Lasse features on both) but less psychedelic/trippy
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 21:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ah, was getting down to this yesterday. Have to love the Demilich-esque vocals. Good shizzle indeed.
25.11.2008 - 23:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 25.11.2008 at 21:27

Ah, was getting down to this yesterday. Have to love the Demilich-esque vocals. Good shizzle indeed.

I don't hear the similarities to Demilich vocals whatsoever. I actually find Acid Witch's vocals quite the usual guttural vocals you hear for so many death & death doom bands whereas those of Demilich are truly one of a kind and stand-out.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2008 - 00:44
Stigmatized
Excellent and crushing album. 9/10
26.11.2008 - 01:39
Hyvaarin
Great band.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
26.11.2008 - 23:31
Vermin
This is fucking amazing, buying their album asap!

If anybody knows anything along the lines of this or Electric Wizard, then please, PLEASE tell!
27.11.2008 - 01:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 23:28

Written by Guest on 25.11.2008 at 21:27

I don't hear the similarities to Demilich vocals whatsoever. I actually find Acid Witch's vocals quite the usual guttural vocals you hear for so many death & death doom bands whereas those of Demilich are truly one of a kind and stand-out.

Well the first moment I heard the gutteral vocals it made me think of Demilich straight away so... Besides I don't find Demilich's vocals particularly unique, just your typical burp vocals but slightly lower.
27.11.2008 - 23:16
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I like what I've heard of this band. cool, old school doom metal at a very fine level.
----
Coldgrits
29.11.2008 - 17:37
HardSide
Guitar goes very well with the vocals. Good review for a good album.
31.01.2009 - 23:57
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.11.2008 at 01:49
I am so eagerly awaiting my copy of this (together with Hooded Menace which has some of the same band members)...
Any chance you guys will be calling this "surprise of the year"?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
31.01.2009 - 23:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Syk on 31.01.2009 at 23:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.11.2008 at 01:49
Any chance you guys will be calling this "surprise of the year"?

Biggest Surprise is write-in votes, remember?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.02.2009 - 00:01
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.01.2009 at 23:59
Yeah...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
01.02.2009 - 00:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Syk on 01.02.2009 at 00:01

Yeah...

This album did surprise me, but IMO doesn't leave a lasting impression. I'll wait till their second album to see what they can pull off next.

As for personal surprise... most probably Faal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.02.2009 - 00:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.02.2009 at 00:04

Written by Syk on 01.02.2009 at 00:01

Yeah...

This album did surprise me, but IMO doesn't leave a lasting impression. I'll wait till their second album to see what they can pull off next.

As for personal surprise... most probably Faal

More off-topicness: Faal was a huge surprise live, but quite disappointing on ep, imo. Obviously the fault of the production though, not the music itself.

Acid Witch was indeed a huge surprise, but not worthy of the title, I agree with you there. Though I do think it has plenty of replay value.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.02.2009 - 18:49
Frankenchrist
This shit is fucking AWESOME can't wait for "Strange Tales"
----
Blat Blat
19.02.2009 - 20:24
Herzebeth
I hated this release, is so cliched....
----
04.03.2009 - 23:00
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree with Herzebeth... Acid Witch are not an interesting band... predictable, bland and boring.
05.03.2009 - 04:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I hated the songs on their MySpace, but I might check out the full thing just cuz of all the praise it's received.
10.03.2009 - 19:58
Idioglossia
Insanely good album!
16.10.2009 - 13:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Still love those solos and the nasty vibe. ordered the vinyl version for wall decoration and the "Witch House" ep.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.10.2010 - 22:46
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I like this album, it's ugly, putrid and nasty, damn, I really have the feeling of being inside a cave smelling the stench of the ass of a witch

Yeah, maybe it is not outstanding, but as someone said before, it has a lot of replay value. Satan approves this
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
22.10.2010 - 03:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Reading back on your reviews Lucas is a pleasant activity, maybe because of our similar taste in music or because of the personal touches you put into your reviews (not to get overly personal with you or anything, which isn't my intention, you just have a definitive style which I really like and see nowhere else on this site).

Anyway this record kicks a lot of ass.

Hits total: 12914 | This month: 13