Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Busy Working On New Material

Sonata Arctica keyboardist Henrik Klingenberg has posted the following European tour update:

"Tomorrow (22.11.2008) is the last show of the European tour, I think we've all been surprised about the great turnout, after all this was the second headlining tour with this album ("Unia"). Somehow these last days have gone by pretty fast and before we know it we're gonna be in Russia and then that's it... for now. I won't go into any extensive comments about the upcoming album, mainly because nobody knows how it will sound at this point, and the few songs I've heard by Tony Kakko (vocals) can't paint the whole picture. It's gonna be really interesting to work with Elias Viljanen (new guitarist) in the studio and I'm sure we'll come up with something great.

During the two months (December - January) when Tony is writing songs, I'll be playing the keyboards for Elias' new solo album, and in the spring we hopefully can play some shows in Finland. Mental Care Foundation will also do some shows, if I can find the rest of the guys... which shouldn't be impossible. What more... hmm... Silent Voices' fourth album is almost complete except for the vocals. I'll let you know more as these things unfold. I'll try to post something about Russia later."

Sonata Arctica's new album is expected to be released somewhere in the last quarter of 2009.

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 24.11.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 36   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 242 users
24.11.2008 - 12:39
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
PLEASE be better than Unia. thats ALL I ASK.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
24.11.2008 - 12:46
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Yeah, a little speed here and there couldn't hurt.
----
24.11.2008 - 12:48
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Great news!!
24.11.2008 - 13:04
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Not only better than unia, reckoning night wasnt exactly the pinnacle of art either *snore*

oh well, i'll listen to some new tracks on myspace probably but my expectations are deep under the ground already, sonata arctica are a different band by now than the one that made songs like "kingdom for a heart" and "wolf and raven"
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
24.11.2008 - 13:33
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Hmm i agree with these sentiments exactly..
24.11.2008 - 14:08
Enissa
Great, I hope it'll be better than Unia too
But Reckoning Night is Awesome album...
24.11.2008 - 15:06
Talvi
So... what will make it different to the previous Sonata albums?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
24.11.2008 - 15:27
Arcesse Eum
Just less balads! oh god, no more balads!
----
As above, so below.
24.11.2008 - 17:07
juanopereira
I hope it will be better than Unia... The fourth album of Silent Voices hmm that's interesting
24.11.2008 - 18:22
Janne
Hugin
I'm looking forward to the next European Tour! and of course the new album! It can't be a letdown after Unia I think. And I also expect a live DVD next year.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.11.2008 - 21:15
BlankFile
I think Unia is a great album in its own way, but than again i always hope even better albums from these guys, because they have lots of talent and creativity. Im looking forward to ear the next release from Sonata Arctica
Stay Metal!
24.11.2008 - 21:35
Silent_wolfer
Finally! Can't wait til' the new album comes out.
24.11.2008 - 21:47
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
People, people, Unia was a one-timer, something they just had to do given the band's mood at the time, and now the experiment is over! I do not expect an album made just of My Selenes and San Sebastians, but I'm sure they are going to impress us again. Long live.

Not that Unia was a bad album though. But I agree that the lack of catchy choruses and overall speed was unexpected.
24.11.2008 - 22:20
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
At last, please, we don't need another Unia, we need that sticky SA power metal!!!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
24.11.2008 - 23:01
Janne
Hugin
Written by Taktsekte on 24.11.2008 at 21:47

People, people, Unia was a one-timer, something they just had to do given the band's mood at the time, and now the experiment is over! I do not expect an album made just of My Selenes and San Sebastians, but I'm sure they are going to impress us again. Long live.

Not that Unia was a bad album though. But I agree that the lack of catchy choruses and overall speed was unexpected.

Tony said in an interview that there won't be more albums like Ecliptica or Silence but more like Unia...
So I think they will continue the way of Unia.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.11.2008 - 00:10
Symmachus
This is nice news. I hope this albm is a nice album.
25.11.2008 - 00:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Bring UNIA v2 any day! Loved that album, more mature and progressive than their earlier "Stratovarius" albums.
25.11.2008 - 01:17
Good news, I can't wait for the next album. I've grown to accept the direction they're going in. Better learning to appreciate new musical directions than getting bored with the same old ones.
25.11.2008 - 01:17
I simply don't understand all the Unia hate. I thought it was a good album in its own right, very different style-wise from their previous material but not bad my any means...

Anyway, I can't wait to see what they come up with next! But last quarter of '09 is so far away...
25.11.2008 - 01:37
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
What if this album is REALLY experimental (not just watered down) and completely catches everyone off guard? How cool would that be...
but alas... it shall scrape the bottom of the crap barrel again.
25.11.2008 - 01:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
As long as it turns out better than "Unia".
----
25.11.2008 - 02:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Cool. I'm glad to see that they're putting an album out soon and that it will BE AS GOOD AS UNIA
25.11.2008 - 05:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Please, more speed.
Please, less ballads.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
25.11.2008 - 05:27
opeth771
Unia is the worst album Sonata could have released so for me, there are no questions to ask; the new album has to be better
25.11.2008 - 11:50
Eeric
Account deleted
Unia is greatest of their albums. It just needs time to open in mind. Myself thought when heard Unia first time that it sucks a big time but not anymore. It's great.
25.11.2008 - 19:13
tulkas
el parcero
I guess i'll agree with most of you, i just hope it's better than unia. PLEASEEE!!!!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
26.11.2008 - 11:59
Dhrenor
Account deleted
The interesting thing about "Unia" is that it really gets better and better each time you listen to it. The first time I heard it I thought it was the worst Sonata Arctica could come up with. BUT then I started to understand the songs, so to speak, and suddenly it was one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life.

Give "Unia" some time, it's really worth it!
26.11.2008 - 18:00
Elio
Red Nightmare
Well, I'm not so interested, but still, I'll look for this.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.11.2008 - 18:22
Luciferion
Written by Guest on 26.11.2008 at 11:59

The interesting thing about "Unia" is that it really gets better and better each time you listen to it. The first time I heard it I thought it was the worst Sonata Arctica could come up with. BUT then I started to understand the songs, so to speak, and suddenly it was one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life.

Give "Unia" some time, it's really worth it!

Huge fan of earlier Sonata, but your absolutely right, the more you listen the better Unia gets. Hopefully they can write somethign in the middle ground, something that it doesn't take 5 listens before you start to enjoy it, but still contains something new to it.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
26.11.2008 - 18:54
Elaryan
New album *O* i wanna hear it

Hits total: 5358 | This month: 13