3 - III: This Moment Is Eternity
    4 - IV: Etiäinen
10. Once Upon A Troubadour [2004 digipack Spinefarm re-release bonus]
11. A Return To The Sea [2004 digipack Spinefarm re-release bonus]
12. A Return To The Sea [2007 re-release bonus]
13. Nightwish [demo] [2007 re-release bonus]
14. The Forever Moments [demo] [2007 re-release bonus]
15. Etiäinen [demo] [2007 re-release bonus]

Nightwish is the band among bands. The epic among epics. The... oh you get the point. This Finnish power/symphonic metal act has more or less acquired a status of having no truly bad songs. Even those who are not fully Nightwish enthusiasts (unlike me) often have a hard time finding something really big to complain about. That's partly what this album is here for! Angels Fall First, the first release by Nightwish was quite odd. The band lacked a bass player at this point and they were still pretty inexperienced, not to mention that the lyrics were very weird. I'd give you examples, but you wouldn't believe me. Let's take a dive in the world of 1997's Nightwish.

The CD opens up with Elvenpath, which is definitely the best song of the album. It's still one of the live favorites whenever they decide to play it, it has many of the elements which makes Nightwish a successful formula today what's with speedy solos, excellent vocals & a very catchy chorus. The only weird thing in this one is well... the lyrics, but also the fact that they have sampled clips from the animated Lord of the Rings movie. (WTF?)

The album continues with Beauty And The Beast. This song is a duet between Tarja & Tuomas (Nightwish's main songwriter & keyboardist). Tuomas voice, however, is not much to cheer about. It's not a big surprise that he eventually stopped performing vocally in the band. The song has a catchy chorus but other than that I don't care much about it.

Next is The Carpenter. This was the very first single Nightwish released and it actually sold well, which is funny considering it's horrible. The construction is awkward, the chorus boring and on top of that Tuomas sings in it. And as mentioned, his vocals scare me.

Astral Romance & Angels Fall First comes next, both are ballads. They are not very good. I can't say much more about them, except that you can hear elements of what signifies Nightwish today what's with the opera & epic feeling. But sadly it's not executed too well. The lack of a bass player is VERY evident.

Tutankhamen is a bit better than the 2 prior tracks. It has a bit of an Egyptian feeling and a fair chorus. It's decent on the whole.

Nymphomaniac Fantasia has the honor of being called the weirdest Nightwish song ever, and Tuomas himself is ashamed of the lyrics he wrote for it. He should be.

Know Why The Nightingale Sings is a lot better than all tracks on the album except Elvenpath. It sounds more like that song, making it successful and definitely the second best track.

Finally the album ends with Lappi [Lapland] that is an epic clocking in at 9:20. I love epic tracks normally, but this one lacks structure. Really, it does. It has a segment of witch drums that is kind of pretty, but other than that it stinks. In Nightwish's latest effort (Once), there's a song in Finnish that is very beautiful. But in Angels Fall First, Tarja gives us the impression that Finnish is impossible to sing in a nice manner because in Lappi it makes you cry. And not in a good way.

Looking back on this review I guess it does look like I butchered the first album of my favorite band. This is not true. I am just being a bit critic. While it is definitely the worst Nightwish release ever, it's still worth a listen. If not else to experience the roots of Nightwish. Because this is where the legacy of the world's most epic band begins. So do like me, and walk the path of the elves!

Written by Lanfawn | 07.05.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Almost 20 years have passed since Nightwish released their debut album Angels Fall First. Many things have changed, but after their latest album Endless Forms Most Beautiful was released 2 months ago, I have been wondering which album is their best and who is Nightwish, what does this band stand for?

Listening to the latest one, and comparing it, I really think it is a masterpiece, because it brings us back to days when genre was young, when bands played what they felt, when they were influential, not inspired by others (mostly starters of genre). This is middle '90s gothic without unnecessary, boring and progressive keyboard parts. Keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen is the main man in this band - songwriter, poet, and lyricist - but in this album you don't hear anything that should not be there, because Tarja's stunning voice blows everyone away. Keyboard element flows like in one melody; a mix between guitars, drums, and Tarja's vocals.

Read more ››
published 27.05.2015 | Comments (40)

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 176 users
04.07.2006 - 02:20
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I though MS staff didn't allow song-by-song reviews And I didn't wrote a such, wich I wanted to do
04.07.2006 - 21:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I agree, I don't like it either..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.07.2006 - 15:27
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Well, I have nothing against the review, I am just annoyed that it got accepted. When I wrote the comment, I had just written a review to wich I wanted to do song by song, and I read that it was forbidden. 10 minutes later I just read a random review wich is a guest review with song by song. To bad.
13.07.2006 - 22:14
Lanfawn
Account deleted
You guys do realize that this review of mine is like 2 years old, right?
31.07.2006 - 22:50
Rating: 7
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Amazing album! the best treck is Angels Fall First, I think it was Thoumas "first grate lyric" =)
----
21.07.2007 - 18:11
Rating: 5
Kib Thanyarath

my fav song on this album is Elvenpath
05.10.2007 - 23:02
Ernis
狼獾
It's a good review....I like it....and I agree that Tuomas indeed doesn't have a voice....
30.11.2007 - 16:51
Rating: 7
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
its my favorite Nightwish album (wierd) because its the only one that lacks all that symphonic crap that gets really old.... really fast
----
01.12.2007 - 15:49
angel_heart

Since when is "Astral Romance" a ballad?
16.03.2008 - 10:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
this album is really nice. i just listen nightwish becouse of some few songs, so im not an expert in this kind of music. But this album sounded better to me than Oceanborn, Century Child and any other. It has beautiful songs, and the Lappi song, with folk instruments (and Tarja in her finnish singing) its very nice. Best track: Lappi (Lapland): Erämaajärvi.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
07.01.2009 - 20:58
Slayer666

"A deeper shall be the wound between your legs" from Nymphomaniac Fantasia.
No comment.
30.09.2009 - 10:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"Beauty And The Beast" and "Nymphomaniac Fantasia" are the higlights...plus some bonus songs of 2007 re-release (including their first demo)...otherwise i found this album weak compared to what came next...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.09.2010 - 01:54
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
It really makes you wonder how they went from this to the mind-blowingly awesome Oceanborn. Biggest leap in quality in the history of metal?
06.10.2011 - 15:50
Vonpire

Written by Uirapuru on 16.03.2008 at 10:33

this album is really nice. i just listen nightwish becouse of some few songs, so im not an expert in this kind of music. But this album sounded better to me than Oceanborn, Century Child and any other. It has beautiful songs, and the Lappi song, with folk instruments (and Tarja in her finnish singing) its very nice. Best track: Lappi (Lapland): Erämaajärvi.

+1
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
08.12.2011 - 08:43
Rating: 9
Jair Crawford

I, too, like Angels Fall FIrst better than Oceanborn. Why? Oceanborn was a technical masterpiece. Angel's Fall FIrst might have lacked the technique we hear in Oceanborn, but I feel it had more heard and soul.
04.06.2015 - 00:38
bayern

You can not compare Angels Fall First, Oceanborn, Wishmaster, Century Child , Once with the recent 3 craps DPP , Imaginaerum and EFMB, different kind of music and Tarja is Tarja of course.

Hits total: 13056 | This month: 9