Metal Storm logo
Enslaved vs. Opeth

Original post

Posted by TheBigRossowski, 26.11.2008 - 12:22
One could easily say 'Enslaved is the black metal equivalent to Opeth' or vice-versa. They are both masters of their craft in Extreme Metal. Which one would you say is better though?

Based on new albums?
Live shows?

This is something I myself couldn't say as I'm a huge fan of both bands. However, I'm curious to see the results. Could you imagine these two playing together? That would be money well spent!

Poll

Which one do you prefer?

Opeth
Enslaved

Total votes: 277
17.03.2009 - 00:27
Metal_Militia

Written by BitterCOld on 16.03.2009 at 22:30

Written by Metal_Militia on 15.03.2009 at 00:25

Guys these polls between two bands like this always amuse me. Opeth is one of the most top liked bands on this site, yet there are more people voting for Enslaved. I just find this a little hard to believe that Enslaved is getting more votes because you like them more overall than Opeth. Stop trying to be different and deviate from normality and just vote for who you think is better. Doubt all of you who voted for Enslaved like them more than Opeth. Dont try and be spontaneous and different. Anyways, i dont really enjoy but one Enslaved album from their entire catalog. So, i chose Opeth for overall consistansy and really superiority. They are better musicians and have put out better material.

"dont try and be spontaneous and different" = be a sheep. bah. of course, then maybe Grutle and Ivar might 'download' you...

while i am surprised to see this tied, i am certainly not shocked.

while YOU might not like Enslaved, and Opeth might have as many fanbois in the metal community as the Jonas Brothers do amongst pre-teen girls, the fact is Enslaved is hard working band that has consistently put out quality material and tour incessantly. They have worked hard and the metal world has taken notice.

their latest release, "Vertebrae" was voted by the Terrorizer mag staff as the best release of 2008, finally putting the hump after both "Isa" and "Ruun" had finished second in their respective years (losing to Mastodon and Celtic Frost, respectively).

so while Opeth might have more "fans" on this site, perhaps when you whittle away the fanbois that show up, rank every Opeth release a "10" and never log in again and look at only those users who actively participate in the forum, it gets closer to even.

A real fan would vote for his more favorite of the bands. Thats not being a sheep at all. Thats called being a fan.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.03.2009 - 00:37
ToMegaTherion

I don't mind Enslaved, they are very good at what they do. But Opeth are something else entirely, they are a truly special band and they deserve be one of metals new poster boys.
17.03.2009 - 00:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Metal_Militia on 17.03.2009 at 00:27

A real fan would vote for his more favorite of the bands. Thats not being a sheep at all. Thats called being a fan.

and you are assuming that at there are not at least 21 people active on this site who like Enslaved more than Opeth.

i call that being a fanboi.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.03.2009 - 00:46
ToMegaTherion

Written by BitterCOld on 17.03.2009 at 00:39

and you are assuming that at there are not at least 21 people active on this site who like Enslaved more than Opeth.

I must admit the voting in this a little closer than I thought it would be, but you are quite correct, there are 21 people here that like Enslaved more than Opeth, Enslaved are a very good band and it really dosn't suprise me that much that there are so many who have voted for Enslaved over Opeth.

I agree on part two of the statement though... let the games begin.
17.03.2009 - 01:00
Metal_Militia

First, i suggest you back back to school and get yourself some education and learn how to spell BOY (B-O-Y). Second, i don't doubt there are 21 people who like Enslaved more than Opeth, I'm saying they don't all flock to this topic and vote when there aren't more people voting for Opeth. Its also this thing they teach you in school. Its called mathematics. In this class, they also teach you this thing called probability. You should check it out. There are many many many more Opeth fans here then Enslaved, the logical probability is that yes, Enslaved will get some votes, but Opeth in theory should have more.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.03.2009 - 01:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Metal_Militia on 17.03.2009 at 01:00

First, i suggest you back back to school and get yourself some education and learn how to spell BOY (B-O-Y). Second, i don't doubt there are 21 people who like Enslaved more than Opeth, I'm saying they don't all flock to this topic and vote when there aren't more people voting for Opeth. Its also this thing they teach you in school. Its called mathematics. In this class, they also teach you this thing called probability. You should check it out. There are many many many more Opeth fans here then Enslaved, the logical probability is that yes, Enslaved will get some votes, but Opeth in theory should have more.

fanboi is a slang term.

as for "probability" - who gives a flying fuck at a rolling donut what probability says?

Opeth might have more fans, but again, how do we know how active they are? just because someone flags Opeth on his profile once does not mean that they are duty bound to regularly visit each and every thread that bears their name. many of them show up, vote, and disappear off into the sunset.

how many are fans of both - but prefer Enslaved?

how many Enslaved fans might be more apt to respond to a thread because in general there are less threads about them?

so now you're bitching and whining about some bullshit conspiracy to deny Opeth the easy victory in this poll simply because only 22 of the 1,800 Opeth fans have bothered to visit the thread?

laughable.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.03.2009 - 01:24
ToMegaTherion

this is getting funny... Why so serious everyone,
17.03.2009 - 01:35
Metal_Militia

Written by ToMegaTherion on 17.03.2009 at 01:24

Because this guys 36 and has over 3,000 posts on a fuckin website forum lol! at 36! What a tool. Hes obviously not getting my logic so fuck it and his small ass brain
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.03.2009 - 01:41
ToMegaTherion

Written by Metal_Militia on 17.03.2009 at 01:35

Because this guys 36 and has over 3,000 posts on a fuckin website forum lol! at 36! What a tool. Hes obviously not getting my logic so fuck it and his small ass brain

Logic dosn't always make a lot of sence, and he is quite right the voting stands at 21 enslaved too 22 Opeth. I agree it is a closer contest than I would have thought, but never the less the proof is there.

And do try to keep the personal attacks to a minimum they tend not to like that here.
17.03.2009 - 03:06
Metal_Militia

Written by ToMegaTherion on 17.03.2009 at 01:41

Logic dosn't always make a lot of sence, and he is quite right the voting stands at 21 enslaved too 22 Opeth. I agree it is a closer contest than I would have thought, but never the less the proof is there.

And do try to keep the personal attacks to a minimum they tend not to like that here.

bro i know what they do and dont like here. Dont tell me what to do.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.03.2009 - 03:37
ToMegaTherion

Written by Metal_Militia on 17.03.2009 at 03:06

Written by ToMegaTherion on 17.03.2009 at 01:41

bro i know what they do and dont like here. Dont tell me what to do.

I don't know where I told you what to do in my last post, I was mearly offering some friendly advice so don't get yourself needlessly banned or anything like that, what you do in the end is up to you.

Anyway, these last few posts have become more of a personal disagreement than a debate and are getting a bit off topic.
17.03.2009 - 07:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

zomg i'm old and listen to metal! and i post on teh interweb! does the fact i've been listening to metal longer than you've been alive threaten you in some way?

i understand your logic, but clearly it's not playing out that way. don't get pissy at me because your math doesn't seem to be applying itself here.

people like Enslaved. get over it and get over yourself.
----

17.03.2009 - 07:42
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Haha, After reading the last posts, the first that came to mind was "thank God my teenage years are over"

Taste differs; some people like both bands, one of those two or neither; I prefer Enslaved over Opeth; actually I prefer Enslaved over many bands. Opeth bores me and more than one occasion puts me to sleep.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
17.03.2009 - 12:46
Baz Anderson

And I'll just throw my thoughts in here too.
Enslaved get my vote of course, great band, great progression through the years.. like Bararey - Opeth comatose me.
17.03.2009 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I like both bands. Actually find both to be great but just think Enslaved is still so much better than Opeth.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2009 - 01:39
Hyvaarin

Written by Metal_Militia on 17.03.2009 at 03:06

boohoo my favourite band isn't getting as many votes as Enslaved wah wah wah, this isn't fair

1. Stop being a condescending jerkoff.
2. Have you considered that maybe Opeth are losing this poll because they attract a more fickle audience than Enslaved? Or that Enslaved are just better?

My vote goes to Enslaved, who have (imo) improved over the years. They've undergone a huge change in style with no signs of gimmickery at all. If only more bands had their artistic maturity...
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
18.03.2009 - 15:35
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2009 at 13:55

I like both bands. Actually find both to be great but just think Enslaved is still so much better than Opeth.

Marce H. not being critical!!?... Is the sky falling?
----
Coldgrits
18.03.2009 - 15:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by -DC-002- on 18.03.2009 at 15:35

what does this have to do with not being critical? I just said I really like nboth, not that I find them to be flawless.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2009 - 17:10
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Bararey on 17.03.2009 at 07:42

Haha, After reading the last posts, the first that came to mind was "thank God my teenage years are over"

Haha I had the exact same thought
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.05.2009 - 09:57
FOOCK Nam

Nice thread, no doubt, Enslaved for me. Cant and never really got into Opeth more than Enslaved.
08.05.2009 - 12:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2009 at 15:40

what does this have to do with not being critical? I just said I really like nboth, not that I find them to be flawless.

I find it more amazing that he likes Opeth.

I'm still having a hard time deciding. I gave it a lot of thought, and the more I thought about it I realized I'm not so much a fan of Opeth but rather a fan of Still Life, none of the other albums left much of an impact on me, maybe aside from Blackwater Park. Theres maybe a song or two from each album I love, but every time I listen to them I always find myself switching back to Still Life. On the flip side I still haven't gotten around to buying any other Enslaved albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.05.2009 - 12:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 08.05.2009 at 12:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2009 at 15:40

I find it more amazing that he likes Opeth.

I'm still having a hard time deciding. I gave it a lot of thought, and the more I thought about it I realized I'm not so much a fan of Opeth but rather a fan of Still Life, none of the other albums left much of an impact on me, maybe aside from Blackwater Park. Theres maybe a song or two from each album I love, but every time I listen to them I always find myself switching back to Still Life. On the flip side I still haven't gotten around to buying any other Enslaved albums.

How come you find it amazing I like Opeth, hell, I also like old Dream Theater.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.05.2009 - 12:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.05.2009 at 12:36

I'm not sure, you don't just seem like the type. Besides, I could have sworn you were one of the anti-Akerfeldt worship people regarding the new album (which was terribly choppy IMO). Whether one likes the band or not, its hard to talk realistically about certain worshipped bands without seeming like you dislike them.
----
- George Carlin
08.05.2009 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 08.05.2009 at 12:41

I'm not sure, you don't just seem like the type. Besides, I could have sworn you were one of the anti-Akerfeldt worship people regarding the new album (which was terribly choppy IMO). Whether one likes the band or not, its hard to talk realistically about certain worshipped bands without seeming like you dislike them.

Nope, I am NOT one of the nti-Akerfeldt worship people although I find the latest two by Opeth also rather choppy. Maybe you're confusing me with Euro Power Boy Baz Anderson who seems to hate Opeth without any reason whatsoever
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.05.2009 - 12:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.05.2009 at 12:45

Written by Doc G. on 08.05.2009 at 12:41

Nope, I am NOT one of the nti-Akerfeldt worship people although I find the latest two by Opeth also rather choppy. Maybe you're confusing me with Euro Power Boy Baz Anderson who seems to hate Opeth without any reason whatsoever

Maybe Akerfeldt burglarized his home? I'd hate a band too if the frontman did that.

Ghost Reveries I found to be pretty smooth and linear. Its the ultra-prog odd-ball time signatures changing constantly that I find really annoyingly choppy (its the audio equivalent of wearing your t-shirt on backwards). Almost like watching a hockey or soccer/football game where the ref stops the play every 4 seconds.
----
- George Carlin
08.05.2009 - 17:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Doc G. on 08.05.2009 at 12:51

Ghost Reveries I found to be pretty smooth and linear. Its the ultra-prog odd-ball time signatures changing constantly that I find really annoyingly choppy (its the audio equivalent of wearing your t-shirt on backwards). Almost like watching a hockey or soccer/football game where the ref stops the play every 4 seconds.

I completely agree with that. The first time I listened to Ghost Reveries... It was like meh. But I didn't know why, the music, the performance was awesome,etc,etc... But then I found out... it was just too much changing all the time.
And things didn't get better with Watershed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2009 - 19:02
symbolic727

I like opeth more than i do enslved i like a couple enslave records but opet from orchid till now is one of the most consistan bands in heavy metal. Still Life, My Arm Your Hears, Black Water Park god damn classics.
08.05.2009 - 19:29
MeloDeathViking

I only recently have gotten into Enslaved, I think they're very good, but I just get into Opeth more.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
10.05.2009 - 00:18
chematss

Enslaved gets my vote although i listen to Opeth more.don't know..??? maybe I am not in the mood for Opeth today.
they both are great.
11.05.2009 - 21:33
Land Of Doom

Opeth The Best

Enslaved Maybe Greats But Opeth The Best For me
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond