Metal Storm logo
Enslaved vs. Opeth

Original post

Posted by TheBigRossowski, 26.11.2008 - 12:22
One could easily say 'Enslaved is the black metal equivalent to Opeth' or vice-versa. They are both masters of their craft in Extreme Metal. Which one would you say is better though?

Based on new albums?
Live shows?

This is something I myself couldn't say as I'm a huge fan of both bands. However, I'm curious to see the results. Could you imagine these two playing together? That would be money well spent!

Poll

Which one do you prefer?

Opeth
Enslaved

Total votes: 277
04.09.2013 - 05:03
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
As much as I love Opeth and it is one of my favoritess bands of all time. I gotta say I prefer Enslaved even more.
10.01.2016 - 17:34
Metren
Dreadrealm
Enslaved are more consistent, but when Opeth are at their best, Enslaved's best isn't as great in my ears.

While I would have voted for Opeth anyway, something rather weird has happened to me lately, namely, I have gotten kind of bored with Enslaved and not just with their latest albums, but with all of their music. I used to love them, AEO was one of my all time favorite albums, but I don't listen to that album or anything by Enslaved much anymore and when I do, I just can't enjoy it much. I can't quite put my finger on why that has happened. Enslaved used to blow my mind with their chord progressions, I could never guess (on the first listen), just where they'd take their songs, but now that I think about it, I never really cared much for their riffs, solos or growls (clean vocals are pretty cool though). Enslaved aren't bad when it comes to riffs, but they aren't great either, not on Opeth's level, anyway.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.07.2016 - 23:10
Mikolaj
Account deleted
I enjoy Opeth from time to time, but Enslaved is the much better band,no doubt about that. The thing I love the most about Enslaved is the willingness to experiment and push the boundaries of extreme music. Each album of theirs represents something different and has its own charm. Opeths songwriting just doesnt excite me as much, but of course they are talented and Mikael sure knows what he's doing.
23.07.2016 - 18:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'd agree Enslaved are the better band. That being said Opeth rack up more plays from me when taking mp3 listenings into consideration. Watershed and BWP are probably amongst the most played things when walking / travelling for me of all time. It's never off my player / phone.
23.07.2016 - 20:12
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Yeah I think Enslaved may be my favorite BM band, they have the power of consistence in their side. According to my last.fm they are the second most listened band after Primordial.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.07.2016 - 21:07
Mikolaj
Account deleted
If taking mp3 listenings into consideration Enslaved still beats Opeth for me. Monumension is one of my most listened to albums ever and Isa gets a full listen at least once a month. If I ever listen to an Opeth album nowadays its either Still Life or Morningrise.
25.07.2016 - 09:02
Metal Ninja
Songs like Dirge For November, Black Rose Immortal, Demon Of The Fall, Ghost Of Perdition, The Leper Affinity, Bleak, To Bid You Farewell, Master's Apprentices, White Cluster, Moonlapse Vertigo and so many more makes my vote go to Opeth. Its tough because of being a fan of both bands.
They are two solid bands that have created superb music over the years & crafted a unique sound throughout their careers also! The metal scene/genre needed bands like this to keep it interesting and exciting when shitty nu-metal came along & made a lot of things become stagnant during the mid 90s & onwards.
08.11.2016 - 01:15
ToMegaTherion
A surprisingly tough decision- both bands have numerous albums that I take to be masterpieces. I would probably vote Enslaved only because I have a preference for the BM style and I'm not the biggest fan of Opeth without the death metal underside on their earlier work... Enslaved have never quite walked away from their BM roots they just expanded on it.
08.11.2016 - 03:02
Ganondox
Haven't heard much Enslaved, but the little Enslaved I've heard impressed me more than most of the Opeth I've heard. I should really get around to listening to more of their music.
08.11.2016 - 08:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Enslaved - excellent in incorporating sound.

Opeth - Generator of rehashing.

So, I sealed Enslaved.
08.11.2016 - 21:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Enslaved all the way eventhough I've heard so little off them (following them since AEO) but heard the complete disco of Opeth. The latter is just too inconsistent recently for me.
08.11.2016 - 22:26
Mik
Account deleted
Monumension > everything Opeth has ever done. Fact
08.11.2016 - 22:38
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 08.11.2016 at 22:26

Monumension > almost everything ever
08.11.2016 - 22:47
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 08.11.2016 at 22:38

Monumension > almost everything ever

Yeah, of course it is. I wonder why people dont find much enjoyment in it as in other Enslaved records.
08.11.2016 - 22:51
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 08.11.2016 at 22:47

Yeah, of course it is. I wonder why people dont find much enjoyment in it as in other Enslaved records.

It seems to be their most experimental in the songwriting department, so it could be that. I personally prefer Isa over it (I think), but then again it's next to impossible to pick a favorite Enslaved album.
08.11.2016 - 23:40
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 08.11.2016 at 22:51

Written by Guest on 08.11.2016 at 22:47

It seems to be their most experimental in the songwriting department, so it could be that. I personally prefer Isa over it (I think), but then again it's next to impossible to pick a favorite Enslaved album.

That could be the case. Personally, I always had troubles to decide between Isa and Monumension, as both are as perfect as music can get, but there are quite a few albums in their disco which come very close (axioma, riitr). You can't go wrong with anything of theirs though, just a incredibly consistent band.
09.11.2016 - 00:40
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Enslaved because they still have the growlzz.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
09.11.2016 - 04:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat

Good to know. Will give this a listen then as I've tried the two preceding albums to AEO and found them quite a bit hard to enjoy, Vertebrae was kinda sterile sounding when I listened to it just after AEO and Ruun, well I don't even remember how it was.
09.11.2016 - 14:08
Mik
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 09.11.2016 at 04:36

Good to know. Will give this a listen then as I've tried the two preceding albums to AEO and found them quite a bit hard to enjoy, Vertebrae was kinda sterile sounding when I listened to it just after AEO and Ruun, well I don't even remember how it was.

If you like experimentation and styles from different genres in your black metal, you will probably enjoy it. Its actually nothing like the albums after it except that it shares a similar Pink Floyd atmosphere which is characteristic for Enslaved. Much vore varied and intense too.
09.11.2016 - 21:36
Paz
elite

Isa > everything Opeth has ever done. Fact

Corrected.
09.11.2016 - 22:13
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 09.11.2016 at 21:36

Corrected.

Shut up bitch, dont correct my right opinion
09.11.2016 - 23:01
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Paz on 09.11.2016 at 21:36

Corrected.

Haha! I love Opeth, but Isa is indeed better than any single album by Opeth.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.11.2016 - 08:41
Paz
elite
Written by Guest on 09.11.2016 at 22:13

Shut up bitch, dont correct my right opinion

10.11.2016 - 19:01
Zap
Monumension easily beats Isa if you ask me. But all of Enslaved's albums are good to great to amazing while Opeth's are boring to ok to good to great to amazing so it's easy to pick a winner.
17.02.2017 - 11:41
nikarg
staff
Enslaved. Their debut is grand.
20.07.2017 - 17:53
VIG
Account deleted
Opeth. Specifically their first 4 records
20.07.2017 - 19:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Now knowing evolution in sound and history of sound, in boat bands, I say 100% Enslaved, it is still metal and went great porogress way, Opeth it is not metal anymore.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.09.2017 - 18:33
darkthrone
I think enslaved tbh I think opera is vastly overrated in my opinion
21.10.2017 - 18:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Opeth pre-Heritage, Enslaved afterwards. By dropping their death metal side, Opeth lost a pretty big dynamic from their music. Enslaved still manage to put out interesting albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.10.2017 - 13:13
infernalius
I have to say Enslaved now ... but before all the progressive crap, i would say opeth without any doubt.