Metal Storm logo
Kill 'Em All vs Bonded By Blood

Original post

Posted by Demonmayonnaise, 30.11.2008 - 08:03
These two albums are both legendary Bay Area thrash albums. Kill 'Em All was released in 83 and kick-started the movement. The influence of the album is undeniable. Bonded By Blood was released in 85, a year after it was recorded, due to complications with their record label. If it were released right after it was recorded, it may have had just as big an impact as Kill 'Em All. Both albums boast excellent songwriting and amazing musicianship. If I had to choose between them, I would pick Bonded without a doubt. It seems to have more energy IMO and the riff for the title track is better than anything found on KEA. If you had to choose one, which would you choose?

Poll

Which of theses two legendary Bay Area debuts do you like most?

Kill 'Em All - Metallica
Bonded By Blood - Exodus

Total votes: 101
24.01.2011 - 23:05
JD
Account deleted
Kill 'Em All beats all thrash albums IMO.

EDIT:
I really don't know anymore, Bonded By Blood is a masterpiece too, both deserves a 9
25.01.2011 - 10:05
SlaytanicGonzo
To me these two albums are the ones which best represent 80's old school thrash. But I gotta go with Bonded By Blood by just a bit.
05.02.2011 - 13:02
marouco
Impossible to vote
05.02.2011 - 14:16
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Kill'em All

I've never been excited about Exodus; Bonded by Blood is pretty good, but Metallica's debut album is much better.
05.02.2011 - 17:31
marouco
The problem is that Kill em all is damm fucking good Speed Metal album and Bonded by Blood is fully Thrash Metal...both VERY good records
07.12.2011 - 13:10
I absolutely Love Bonded by Blood for all its amazing energy and blazing riffs,, but Kill em All just slays it with its deep writing, diverse song structures and epic riffs... Its freakin Hetfield after all, and Kirk Hammett just threw every solo trick there is into the album. Add in Lars' brilliant drumming and Cliffs epic bass style and you have probably the greatest debut album ever!
Actually, it sounds like it is the sequel to Bonded by Blood
07.12.2011 - 16:05
BLOODY hard choice, this is.. I love both nearly equally, but i'm going to vote Kill 'em All because there's more variation in the songs
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
07.12.2011 - 20:56
Joppe
Steelemeister
Voted Bonded by Blood but I would say Eternal Nightmare by Vio-lence is the best thrash debut
----
My vision is augmented
07.12.2011 - 21:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Voted Kill 'Em All. Although it's the only Metallica album I've ever really liked, it's definitely one of my favorite thrash albums of all-time. 3B is a good album but I've never been able to consider it great.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.12.2011 - 00:22
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Kill Em All i say. The songs Dave Mustiane wrote on there are awesome as well as every other song. Bonded is pretty righteous though too.
08.12.2011 - 00:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 08.12.2011 at 00:22

Kill Em All i say. The songs Dave Mustiane wrote on there are awesome as well as every other song. Bonded is pretty righteous though too.

Mustaine only co-wrote four of them, so his influence wasn;t too great.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2011 - 00:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Some people do overemphasise Dave's role in the early years of Metallica. He never wrote any full songs for Metallica, unlike when he was in Megadeth. "Jump In The Fire" had ridiculous lyrics written by Dave, before James rewrote them and made them much better. The same kinda thing with "The Four Horsemen". Everything that Dave did contribute do "Kill Em' All" wouldn't have been so great, without the input of the other Metallica members. And of course, 5 songs on the album, had no input from Dave whatsoever.
08.12.2011 - 01:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.12.2011 at 00:58

Some people do overemphasise Dave's role in the early years of Metallica. He never wrote any full songs for Metallica, unlike when he was in Megadeth. "Jump In The Fire" had ridiculous lyrics written by Dave, before James rewrote them and made them much better. The same kinda thing with "The Four Horsemen". Everything that Dave did contribute do "Kill Em' All" wouldn't have been so great, without the input of the other Metallica members. And of course, 5 songs on the album, had no input from Dave whatsoever.

Yeah and Jump In The Fire and Phantom Lord are by far the weakest songs off the album if you ask me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2011 - 08:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2011 at 01:01
Yeah and Jump In The Fire and Phantom Lord are by far the weakest songs off the album if you ask me.

I don't find any of the songs on "Kill Em' All" weak, that was why I picked it over "Bonded By Blood". I know James felt Dave's original lyrics for JITF and "Mechanix" were more akin to glam metal band's lyrics, and not appropriate for the music they were playing. Which is why he rewrote them. It was the rest of Metallica that took Dave's template, and built on it to make "The 4 Horsemen" a truly classic metal song. Though i would say Dave's riffs in that song were the best thing he did whilst a member of Metallica.
08.12.2011 - 14:09
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Damn, I can't vote!

Anyway it's got to be Bonded by Blood for me. I remember when I first listened to Metal Command and it sounded like death metal, I mean, the vocals were the most extreme I'd heard at the time. Obviously now it just sounds like thrash but it's still damn good. It has a real raw, sharp sound to it whereas Kill Em All sounds a little soft.
08.12.2011 - 19:54
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2011 at 00:39

I knew me saying this would cause a stir, which is one reason i said it but, according to Dave's autobiography he wrote four of the songs which were on the the No Life Till Leather demo tape. And when he was kicked out James changed them and gave Dave partial credit. He also wrote the music to the song Ride The Lightning and Call of Ktulu, but then again who gives a shit.
09.12.2011 - 13:26
edgethrasherx
Gotta go with bonded by blood, great album. I like the riffs and vocal themes on that one better then kill em all.
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
09.12.2011 - 16:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 08.12.2011 at 19:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2011 at 00:39

I knew me saying this would cause a stir, which is one reason i said it but, according to Dave's autobiography he wrote four of the songs which were on the the No Life Till Leather demo tape. And when he was kicked out James changed them and gave Dave partial credit. He also wrote the music to the song Ride The Lightning and Call of Ktulu, but then again who gives a shit.

Dave has always been full of shit. He cowrote them and it already says as such on the demo itself. Those four tracks are the same as the one he cowrote on Kill 'm All.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2011 - 17:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.12.2011 at 16:20

Dave has always been full of shit. He cowrote them and it already says as such on the demo itself. Those four tracks are the same as the one he cowrote on Kill 'm All.

I sometimes wish MS had a "like button", like Facebook or (really) old MS.
----
09.12.2011 - 18:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Warman on 09.12.2011 at 17:05

I sometimes wish MS had a "like button", like Facebook or (really) old MS.

Nah, rep systems in forums are annoying as hell, depending on how they are presented.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.