03. March To Your Death
04. Heap Of Wretchedness
05. Hellkind
06. Vermicular
07. Nailed To Iniquity
08. Level Of Containment
09. Bleed Divine
10. Dead Shall Rise [Terrorizer cover]

Generally speaking I'm not really the type of guy who, unless completely necessary, overuses certain big words like "masterpiece" all the time. And I won't say the album at hand is a masterpiece, but we're coming pretty close. What we are dealing with here, ladies and gents, is certainly the cream of the cream (crème de la crème) when it comes to Belgian death metal releases of 2008, to say the very least. Indeed, "Counterblast", the newest album of The Reckoning is a mighty punch in the face when it comes to top-notch characteristic death metal - you can take my word on it.

This Belgian threesome (seriously, how is it possible to make such loud and heavy music with only three people?) aren't exactly newcomers to the scene. The band started out as an underground melodic black metal band in 1993 under the moniker Infernal Legion, and took a fresh start at the beginning of 2006, meanwhile with a new name, a well-received "debut" album and a solid live reputation playing support shows for Morbid Angel, Vital Remains, Decapitated and Aborted (to name only a few) on their curriculum vitae. "Counterblast" is the band's latest achievement which will without hesitation give you a new reason to damage your ears with pleasure.
Indeed, this is exactly the kind of solid death metal one should nowadays be craving for, since as a matter of fact The Reckoning really have it all to be in one's good death metal book: tempo, rage and aggression; ponderous drumming with (for a change) appropriate blast beats; killer riffs and solos; many rhythmic breakdowns; a-typical yet harsh death metal vocal work; malevolent lyrics; a quality production (the Wieslawski brothers anyone?) and a boundless dark atmosphere with sometimes even a slim filthy black aftertaste. After one crushing half hour this powerful release abruptly ends in beauty with one last kick in the nuts: a finger-licking good cover of Terrorizer's "Dead Shall Rise".
Really, listening to "Counterblast" is like deliberately running at feel speed into a massive wall of death metal.

So perhaps The Reckoning aren't re-defining the principles of death metal. But then again no one was demanding them to; moreover the band already adopted a contemporary and intense approach to make their own. And perhaps "Counterblast" is no masterpiece either but it sure is a masterly showpiece of prevailing death metal. In short, it's nice to discover a distinguishing album once in a while that is like a breath of fresh air in the overpopulated world of death metal. I'm telling you, this is one to remember when you're making up your little "favorite albums of the year"-lists. I kid you not when I state that missing out on this one means missing out on one of the better (if not one of the best) death metal albums of the year... can you live with that thought?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Thryce | 30.11.2008

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 103 users
30.11.2008 - 17:52
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Hmm, possibly best death metal album of the year you say ? that's saying alot in '08 when we're talking DM, but i'll take your word for it and give these guys a chance.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.11.2008 - 18:20
Rupert

Nice review, but after hearing some songs on their myspace I'm not too interested
I like how the vocals aren't gurgles though.
30.11.2008 - 21:42
Arcesse Eum

I must look into this...
----
As above, so below.
30.11.2008 - 23:41
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
It's pretty good. The first impression is 8/10, but I don't understand how come there are three of them on the album. There must be 4: 2 guitars, a bass and a drummer. Their drummer is Morbid (check the myspace), and he can be added as a member. I don't know when their bassist left, after or before recording this album, but the bass is definitely present on the record (that could be a hired hand). The point is there must four people (or maybe someone of the members played the bass). Anyway, more info is needed.

EDIT.

I really loved the drum work on this album. Really fabulous, machine-like, accurate drumming.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.12.2008 - 11:00
rohgue123

This is phenomenal death metal to say the least.
----
God has a hard-on for me.
11.12.2008 - 14:55
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 30.11.2008 at 23:41

It's pretty good. The first impression is 8/10, but I don't understand how come there are three of them on the album. There must be 4: 2 guitars, a bass and a drummer. Their drummer is Morbid (check the myspace), and he can be added as a member. I don't know when their bassist left, after or before recording this album, but the bass is definitely present on the record (that could be a hired hand). The point is there must four people (or maybe someone of the members played the bass). Anyway, more info is needed.

EDIT.

I really loved the drum work on this album. Really fabulous, machine-like, accurate drumming.

The thing is, vocalist/guitarist Peter Noens also performed all the bass tracks on this album apparently - I had to check the booklet again for that.

Anyway I'm glad you like the album.
----
Your favorite band sucks.

Hits total: 5944 | This month: 9