Metal Storm logo
Do you prefer the Book or the Movie Adaptation?

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 04.12.2008 - 18:31
There's always been this debate on some of my classes at college (I study litearture), and surely out there too, on whether is it better the book or the movie adaptation of it. I know that a lot of people prefer reading te book, like me, and others might prefer watching the movie they've done about it, others may argue that it depends on how the book and the adaptation is (that's why I put the 'depends' option in the poll). So, i would like to hear your opinions on the subject, and as the thread rules establish, don't just vote and say 'i voted this', disscuss your vote and why you prefer either one.

As for me, like I said, I prefer reading the book for a couple of reasons. First, when you start picturing the story in your head, you can imagine any sort of things, or you can picture what is being described in yor own mannr, taste and preferences, but when you watch the adaptation, yor view of the story is limited to waht is being portrayed by the director, and how it's being portrayed; your imagination is being limited, so to speak. Also, as has been discussed in another thread, movies sometimes leave out of the movie key parts of the story that were on the book, and at least to me, this is something bad, it kinda takes out part of the 'magic' of the book.
The thread is yours, people!

Poll

Do you prefer the Book or the Movie Adaptation?

Book
It depends
Movie adaptation

Total votes: 42
02.04.2009 - 17:41
Ragana
Rawrcat
Definitely it's the book. In movies you just can't see half of those interesting things you read in a book, plus, movie... well, you can't really escape from the 'reality' there. But by reading a book you can imagine very interesting things on your own.

And there still are movies which are so short so that the producers could add in the main plot, but in the end the audience may not understand the movie at all (unless they have read the book).
02.04.2009 - 22:17
-Soulreaper-

I have to go with the book. The originals of things are always better than the remake. But as for film adaptations they always leave out so much that has to to with the depth of the charachters or the story.
07.04.2009 - 06:02
Winterfog

Yes I also prefer the book, I read the Exorcist book before I watch the movie and believe me in my mind it was a thousand times scarier as the movie.. sometimes it depends on the filsm adaptation sometimes are well adapted and sometimes due to lack of time, movies end up being boring..
07.04.2009 - 07:37
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Winterfog on 07.04.2009 at 06:02

Yes I also prefer the book, I read the Exorcist book before I watch the movie and believe me in my mind it was a thousand times scarier as the movie.. sometimes it depends on the filsm adaptation sometimes are well adapted and sometimes due to lack of time, movies end up being boring..

it happend to me when I read "The Omen" 13 years before (Ive read the first Vol and I dont know about other parts). after 2 years I saw the movie. I cant say the movie was bad but when I compared it to book it was bullshit!
22.04.2009 - 18:45
vikingman369

Book version is 9.99/10 times the best version. most movies are marketed to the public, and therefore some of the story elements are removed to compress time, or to appeal to a larger audience. however, some film adaptions go to outlandish lengths to just put in their own stuff for no apparent purpose whatsoever.

conversely, i have read the novelization of the Star Wars original trilogy, and it was not as good as the book. some of the story plots (such as having the Imperial moffs in charge rather than the emperor, and having obi-wan be owen lars' brother) were inconsistent with the rest of the story. however, apart from those little problems, it was an overall good read.
----
"God it feels
Like it only rains on me" -- My World
23.08.2009 - 23:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The book is ALWAYS better than movie, unless the book was written later than film or the book is nothing but rewritten movie script
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.08.2009 - 20:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 23.08.2009 at 23:00

The book is ALWAYS better than movie, unless the book was written later than film or the book is nothing but rewritten movie script

totally agree with you.