02. On Eagles' Wings
03. Laying The Demon To Rest
04. Bethlehem
05. Absolution Day
06. The Writing In The Sand
07. Martyr
08. Mirror Of Souls
09. Wages Of Sin [Japanese bonus]

In general, when we talk about combos from USA which use to play Power Metal everybody think about bands like Iced Earth first. For sure this is something different of the European trends but of course, USA is so big that it can be possible too to find Power Metal bands a la European sauce and Theocracy is one of them. In the genre I think that the band is good but unfortunately this is also a bit cliché and Theocracy is finally just one other Metal acts which simply play what a lot of other people have already done?

"Mirror Of Souls" is the second album of Theocracy and this release is just something extremely common? I mean that ok, this is good Power Metal actually, the music is solid in the genre and the orchestrations with a lot of keyboards are not bad at all. The choruses are catchy the melodies fits perfectly to the standards of the genre but, and that's a big but, this is also extremely cliché! And this is the main problem of the album; the choruses are catchy ok but damn it is so "happy" and smells so much the kings, dragons and "Flower Power" that it can quickly become indigestible for someone who doesn't like such music? I don't know what to say for a release like "Mirror Of Souls" I'm quite sure that the fans of the band and the fans of Power Metal in general will like a lot this release but if you're looking for originality and something new, damn it won't be for you!

"Mirror Of Souls" has a good production and I cannot say that the band members are bad musicians. The singer Matt Smith is a good singer of Power Metal but his voice is not something which gives a lot of emotions too. This is good but that's all. Theocracy is in the category of the bands which know how to do their job and do it well but which don't give anything special in the end. "Mirror Of Souls" is the perfect example of a band which don't take any risks and only propose something which has been done a lot of other times in the past? that's a bit sad?

You're looking for good Power Metal, so be sure that you can go with this band. You hate this music and want something different, just go away as soon as possible. The new album of Theocracy is a bit poor for me in the end. I cannot say that they're bad but I didn't find anything special and surprising there and I regret it. "Mirror Of Souls" is recommended for the fans of the genre no doubt that they will like this release the other ones can go away without any regrets.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 09.12.2008

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 164 users
10.12.2008 - 01:25
I, The Quatropus

Excellent review, indeed, as I agree with most of what you said. Recently was able to get a copy from a friend and give it a listen......it's not bad, but it's not anything new however.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
18.12.2008 - 16:24
Rating: 8
Escapist
Victim Of Deceit
Er... well, I can't agree. When I read this review I thought that he was talking about "the typical power metal band" like Power Quest or Stratovarius and... wtf, this album is very progressive too! And even with some thrashy parts, like in Laying the Demon to Rest. Also hard-rock melodies (On Eagle's Wings). Dunno, but I think this is a really good prog-power metal album, reminds me of Vision Divine or Thunderstone but more happy. Yes, it has happy choruses, but not SO happy as other bands. And lyrics are about Christianity, not dragons or so...
----
On wings of time we have been flying
For too long it seems to me that I've crossed the final fence...

www.twilightning.net http://deliriumveil.main.jp
22.12.2008 - 10:56
Rating: 9
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I prefer the flowery-er, cheesier variety with European flavour. would be interested to hear this band.
Lyrics about Christianity don't bother me i like that from Angra, Nightwish, etc
A great USA band in my opinion is Virgin Steele
22.12.2008 - 20:54
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Very good to finally hear a GOOD Christian band. Usually i just avoid them because their music are below par but Theocracy is awesome, and finally Im able to listen to some Christian music with proper songwriting!
02.01.2009 - 07:04
Rating: 7
V8Thrasher

I gotta say.....
im a complete sucker for three genres of metal:
1. good ol' school thrash metal
2. glam metal ballads
3. epic power metal

i really dont know how i came across this band, and this review but i looked them up and really enjoyed what they have to give. im listening to em as im writing this post. very nice
27.07.2009 - 22:00
Diablos
Account deleted
I don't really like bands with a religious fanatic theme, but this album has one of the better epic songs out there. The song "Mirror of Souls" is a song everyone should hear.
19.11.2009 - 18:50
Rating: 10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wow...i rediscovered this album today...and it is wonderful
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.11.2009 - 19:49
Ryan M.

Written by Escapist on 18.12.2008 at 16:24

Er... well, I can't agree. When I read this review I thought that he was talking about "the typical power metal band" like Power Quest or Stratovarius and... wtf, this album is very progressive too! And even with some thrashy parts, like in Laying the Demon to Rest. Also hard-rock melodies (On Eagle's Wings). Dunno, but I think this is a really good prog-power metal album, reminds me of Vision Divine or Thunderstone but more happy. Yes, it has happy choruses, but not SO happy as other bands. And lyrics are about Christianity, not dragons or so...

YEAH!!!!! DUH!!!!! I agree with Escapist... and you said nothing new? What? This is a very new and unique sound.
----
Theocracy is AWESOME!
08.02.2012 - 20:16
The Benighted

What an amazing album. A 7 just doesn't do it justice, imo.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
27.12.2015 - 23:09
Rating: 10
mikeprado30

Written by The Benighted on 08.02.2012 at 20:16

What an amazing album. A 7 just doesn't do it justice, imo.

Agree with that
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!

Hits total: 10603 | This month: 6