03. Birth Of Deliverance
04. Midian
05. Zipporah
06. Burning Bush
07. The Wooden Staff
08. Return To Egypt
09. Ten Plagues
10. Land Of The Dead

Israel is maybe not the most famous Metal country but obviously the Metal scene there is probably one of the most intelligent and innovative one. If we have some legendary bands like Orphaned Land, Salem, or Blackfield (which is half British of course) we have now a new pretender and definitely this is something! With their first release which features a lot of amazing guests, the guys of Amaseffer already prove that we will have to keep their names in our minds, "Slaves For Life" is an exceptional and original epic release.

"Slaves For Life" is the first part of a trilogy about the history of the people of Israel as portrayed in the old testament. It seems to be a trend for the Israel bands to talk about religion but the historical context of this story is really interesting and attractive and the album is definitely not pompous. The lyrics and the concept of the album are two important points of course but the music is probably the thing which attracted me the most. Amaseffer plays some kind of Epic Progressive Metal with a lot of Oriental folk sonorities. This is beautiful, deep and so epic that it sounds a bit like the music of a movie. The songs are long, complex with a lot of different passages which speeches or real vocals and the performances of Mats Levens and Kobi Farhi are just amazing. This is not especially fast or catchy, I mean that the songs are long and "tell" us a story so you can have long musical breaks like real classic passages with choruses, verses etc. Amaseffer music is a bit similar to the one of the "Mabool" (Orphaned Land's last album) with this alternation of big riffs and more melodic passages but this is definitely more Progressive and less direct. This is not really problematic but "Slaves For Life" is an album that you'll have to listen to from the beginning to the end to understand it completely.

The three musicians of the band are great compositors and great performers and they had the good idea to invite people like Mats Levens or Angela Gossow to sing on the songs. The final result is really coherent and the production of Markus Teske is just wonderful (and cannot be compared to the average one of "Mabool" for example). The different folk instruments play when they have to play, this is never "too much". "Slaves For Life" is not an easy of access album but it's a catchy one nonetheless with original ideas and even if it could maybe be boring for someone who just wants to have fun listening to music with songs with simple structures, this is at least perfect for the ones who like Progressive music.

"Slaves For Life" is a great discovery and one of the albums which has enchanted me this year. As you know this is not a simple album and you clearly have to like Oriental folk music (including acoustic guitars, female vocals etc) to fully enjoy this release but if you're looking for something special and extremely deep, "Slaves For Life" is highly recommended. Let's hope that the next stage of the story will follow the steps of this first album. I'm already waiting a lot of this future album and I'm convinced that Amaseffer will become a really famous combo.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 10.12.2008

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 293 users
11.12.2008 - 06:30
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I was amazed by this album at first but over time it has revealed itself to be stale.
Quote:
"Slaves For Life" is not an easy of access album but it's a catchy one nonetheless with original ideas and even if it could maybe be boring for someone who just wants to have fun listening to music with songs with simple structures, this is at least perfect for the ones who like Progressive music.

That is so crazy that you put it that way, because that's exactly how I feel. When I'm in the mood to listen to some good progressive I put this on, yet when I'm driving I can't listen to this because it gets too boring.
11.12.2008 - 09:36
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, that's a good review, and I would probably rate just the same. Since I have a special feeling to Oriental vibes, I did enjoy this one although these guys have still a lot to do to reach great heights.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.12.2008 - 12:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
Israelis are really showing a great talent in Progressive Metal, after Orphaned Land I see this band is very nice. I liked the storyline and performance.
11.12.2008 - 15:34
Rating: 4
HardSide
I gave the album a couple of listens, im suprised at the high rating, honestly the music isnt so bad, the vocals could be more lower and harsher, not really a preference of my but it would go well with the direction the music goes. I give it a 6 at best. Hopefully the next album will be better in this trilogy.
11.12.2008 - 18:32
Rating: 9
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Totaly awsome album still cant believe how good it is. And of Course Mr. Leven
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
11.12.2008 - 21:08
Arcesse Eum
I love this stuff, especially their big panoramic atmospheric bits, I cringe at the song transitions though, they are very forced hahah.
----
As above, so below.
11.12.2008 - 23:27
Rupert
Didn't anyone catch the mistake in the first word of the review?
Good review though, I may have to look into this band.
12.12.2008 - 19:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Actually isn't the album called Exodus: Slaves For Life?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2008 - 22:38
Elio
Red Nightmare
Sooo....Something to put in my wishlist?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.12.2008 - 16:19
Njord
njord
This is maybe the best album I heard in many years.. absolutely brilliant!

The composition is very good, the oriental folk music is present everywhere (but not in a sick way) and the guests have a awesome performance. Mats Leven surprised me once again..he's such a good vocalist, however the main surprise is really the whole album. Unforgetable stuff!

My notes are:
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 8
14.12.2008 - 08:59
jekoba
Account deleted
Best album of 2008 !!!!
My notes are:
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10
14.12.2008 - 13:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
People it doesn't deserve a 10 in anything, especially in songwriting... a 10 means the songs are absolutely great, beautiful, cool whatever the genre demands. This one has some good melodies (I need to listen to it once more actually), but not that many and not that great. I think Jeff rated it pretty objectively.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.12.2008 - 14:24
Njord
njord
Written by K✞ulu on 14.12.2008 at 13:42

People it doesn't deserve a 10 in anything, especially in songwriting... a 10 means the songs are absolutely great, beautiful, cool whatever the genre demands. This one has some good melodies (I need to listen to it once more actually), but not that many and not that great. I think Jeff rated it pretty objectively.

Hi there, If you're so annoyed by the 10 I gave, I can justify it. As I said, this is for me one of the best albuns in many years and I believe the performance can't be better (I'm not a perfeccionist who find everywhere open space to improve).
In the songwriting my opinion is really simple, almost all conceptual albuns (like this one) deserves maximum note, just because is extremely hard to adapt music into an envolving story that can't be cut in pieces or the meaning is lost.
14.12.2008 - 14:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Njord on 14.12.2008 at 14:24

Hi there, If you're so annoyed by the 10 I gave, I can justify it. As I said, this is for me one of the best albuns in many years and I believe the performance can't be better (I'm not a perfeccionist who find everywhere open space to improve).
In the songwriting my opinion is really simple, almost all conceptual albuns (like this one) deserves maximum note, just because is extremely hard to adapt music into an envolving story that can't be cut in pieces or the meaning is lost.

but objectively speaking the music itself is not amazing enough to give songwriting a 10. Although I don't know.... where is the line between objectivity and subjectivity or maybe rating something can't be objective... well, ok, I accept your opinion.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.12.2008 - 18:42
Njord
njord
Written by K✞ulu on 14.12.2008 at 14:53

Written by Njord on 14.12.2008 at 14:24

but objectively speaking the music itself is not amazing enough to give songwriting a 10. Although I don't know.... where is the line between objectivity and subjectivity or maybe rating something can't be objective... well, ok, I accept your opinion.

It's just like that, an opinion. For me its one thing, for you is another, that's why the reviews could be so polemical
17.12.2008 - 11:41
Wes
I have not gotten bored of this album yet, i find it better than Orphaned Land's albums or almost anything else i have heard in a long time.
I think it's a true classic, I just love it, 10 out of 10
17.12.2008 - 13:20
Rating: 10
Kinetic
I rated 10 out 10 by personal comparison using my collection as a basis.
A 9 is deserved I guess...but the only thing I disagree with this review is the note attributed for its production. It's the best I've heard so far this year and surely deserves a 10.
17.12.2008 - 19:58
MadPitbull
Account deleted
Nice review, great album!
18.12.2008 - 16:36
Rating: 10
Escapist
Victim Of Deceit
You cannot rate this album as a "normal" album. It's more like a BSO and, right, you must be in the suitable mood to listen to it.

It's a great work. The music fits really well with lyrics. It's highly recommended to listen to it reading the booklet...
----
On wings of time we have been flying
For too long it seems to me that I've crossed the final fence...

www.twilightning.net http://deliriumveil.main.jp
19.12.2008 - 20:28
Rating: 7
Morphis
This is a good entertaining album seems the Israliens know more than electronic music after all.
19.12.2008 - 23:19
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Morphis on 19.12.2008 at 20:28

This is a good entertaining album seems the Israliens know more than electronic music after all.

I'm wondering the same thing. They are mostly known by their powerful bands in Psychedelic music, as every Psytrance fans know Infected Mushroom.. But I see both Amaseffer and Orphaned Land, so powerful Progressive Metal bands..
20.12.2008 - 00:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Morphis on 19.12.2008 at 20:28

Well there''s also of course Orpahend Land and Salem (hell, Euronymous even wanted them on his Deathlike Silence label back in the day)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2008 - 16:32
eyal
Account deleted
Best album of 2008 and strong candidate for my all time fevorites!!!

MASTERPIECE!
21.12.2008 - 22:04
ronmakeover
Account deleted
I don't know if to look at it as a movie or a regular album.
for me it is very visual for i see every frame on each part of each song and this is why is to me one of greatest albums ever!!! i can't recall a band that visualized their music in such perfection!

An amazing work of art , Amaseffer are not humen!:bow:
22.12.2008 - 09:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have just checked out their website, and indeed, as Marcel pointed out, the album is called "Exodus - Slaves For Life."
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

22.12.2008 - 15:56
israelthunder
Account deleted
Sickest album ever created, ronmakover is right, just like a movie you can see the music. Amazing job Amaseffer. the pride of Israeli music scene

Shalom
23.12.2008 - 00:06
Thanntos
I picked this up when it first came out, and am saddened that it just now gets a review. It is one of my best of 08' albums and deserves more votes/recognition.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
23.12.2008 - 15:26
lina
Account deleted
I'm here showing my support to the guys of Amaseffer

GOD BLESS
:-)
22.01.2009 - 03:03
DBrave
Cant fckn wait for next chapter! For sure its in top 5 in 2008, real state of art !!
11.05.2009 - 21:56
Land Of Doom
Very Very Wonderful Album I like it very Much

Especially The Woden Staff Very Amazing Electriec Guitar

Good Luck For This Band
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond

Hits total: 10038 | This month: 18